Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283586 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
Here is a lemon zest mango off my mothers tree:

Earlier this year I posted some pics of this tree in bloom and despite other forum members cautionary advice I let the tree hold fruit anyways and it produced two excellent tasting mangos. Now I'm going to do my best to be unbiased as this tree is apart of my family, but if you haven't already, brettborders review is really detailed.

When holding this mango up close you can smell the "lemon zest", it has its own distinct smell. The mango was just over 5in long and weighed 471g, it was a bright yellow-orange when ripe. When I cut open the mango it revealed a bright yellow-orange flesh that was perfectly ripe. The juice from the flesh was syrupy and coated the flesh glazing it rather than being thin and running off. The polyembryonic seed was long and somewhat thick, but there was plenty of flesh to eat. The texture of the flesh was firm, thick, creamy, and completely fiberless. The taste was an intense endless sweet lemon with a slight honeydew nuance that captivated my tongue. At first bite I was surprised at what was going on and as I ate further I gained a real appreciation for what the Zill clan has done with this mango it is truly a unique mango that lives up to the lemon zest name. Towards the end i did not have a craving for another one though. I think this was my body's natural response to something that is so intensely sweet and lemony that if trying to eating another one I would incur an upset stomach. Overall I'm glad I planted out this tree and am looking forward to next years harvest.

-JoeP450

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »
Here is a mango called ice cream which I purchased from truly tropical:

The first time I went to truly tropical I could not help my wandering eyes as I scanned up and down the rows of 50+ kinds of mangos trees my eyes would center on one peculiar tree. You know it's a mango but it stands out amongst the rest, this is the ice cream mango "IC". In the above picture, I have on the upper left a picture of the leaves of my coconut cream in comparison to the thin dark leaves of the IC. And below those you can see the full tree with its compact canopy.

The IC mangos shape when laying flat is similar to the side profile of the human skull, it has a lobed backside and then a jawline that dips down. This mango weighed 395g, was about 3.5in long and was ripe with a light yellow with some green patches. It had a slight sweet pine aroma to the outside skin. When I cut open the mango it revealed to my surprise a whitish yellow flesh. The flesh had some juice to it but was not at all watery instead the texture was smooth and had a creamy thickness that you could just savor with every bite. The seed was short and thick and i would say the flesh to seed ratio was good, it is also a monoembryonic seed. The taste was interesting because you are focused on the mouth feel and at the same time you are tasting a lemony sweetness that fades into a resinous aftertaste. After I ate this one I ate another, and after that I wanted another but I Have no more left! Definitely enjoyed eating this mango and plan to add this cultivar to my grow list.

-JoeP450

Great review and pictures.  Very interesting leaves on the tree.  I wonder has anyone grown thus mono from seed and what was the result....

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2013, 11:10:08 AM »
hahah that incredibly rich flavor is precisely what I find irresistable about the LZ. If you think that was intense, you should try the pina colada hahahah. The first time I had a pina colada, I got a mild upset stomach due to the overwhelming sugar content. A few folks were calling the LZ 'bland' when compared to the O-2 (aka Peach Cobbler), so I can only imagine how intense the flavor is on that one. I think a lot of us mango lubbers enjoy that intense flavor.

When holding this mango up close you can smell the "lemon zest", it has its own distinct smell. The mango was just over 5in long and weighed 471g, it was a bright yellow-orange when ripe. When I cut open the mango it revealed a bright yellow-orange flesh that was perfectly ripe. The juice from the flesh was syrupy and coated the flesh glazing it rather than being thin and running off. The polyembryonic seed was long and somewhat thick, but there was plenty of flesh to eat. The texture of the flesh was firm, thick, creamy, and completely fiberless. The taste was an intense endless sweet lemon with a slight honeydew nuance that captivated my tongue. At first bite I was surprised at what was going on and as I ate further I gained a real appreciation for what the Zill clan has done with this mango it is truly a unique mango that lives up to the lemon zest name. Towards the end i did not have a craving for another one though. I think this was my body's natural response to something that is so intensely sweet and lemony that if trying to eating another one I would incur an upset stomach. Overall I'm glad I planted out this tree and am looking forward to next years harvest.

-JoeP450
Jeff  :-)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:53 PM »
hahah that incredibly rich flavor is precisely what I find irresistable about the LZ. If you think that was intense, you should try the pina colada hahahah. The first time I had a pina colada, I got a mild upset stomach due to the overwhelming sugar content. A few folks were calling the LZ 'bland' when compared to the O-2 (aka Peach Cobbler), so I can only imagine how intense the flavor is on that one. I think a lot of us mango lubbers enjoy that intense flavor.

Geez Jeff, at this point I can't image something stronger than LZ, looking forward to having my mind blown with the peach cobbler and and piņa colada, que pink Floyd's dark side of the moon. What's next prescription strength mangos....lol

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
I ate my first O-2 today. It was a bit more tart than I really like.  I'm going to try letting the next one ripen more and see how that tastes.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2013, 01:48:57 PM »
Here is a Austin mango from ensy's:

This mango has an interesting shape, on the shoulder there is a long indentation and then on the top where the stem attaches it is lumpy like the bottom of an apple. This mango was 4.5 in long, weighed 592g was bright red/yellow and dotted with white spots. I cut open the mango and it revealed a bright orange flesh that was very juicy of a watery consistency. The texture had some slight bristly fiber to it but hardly of an inconvenience, the flesh was loose and watery. The taste was similar to the Tyler mango only not as strong of an orange soda taste plus the Austin had a musky finish. The seed is monoembryonic.

-joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
Here is a Haden mango from truly tropical:

According to Chris Rollins this is the mango that started it all in Florida. A seedling said to be of mulgoba and turpentine with a monoembryonic seed. This mango was 5in long and weighed 610g, was a orange-yellow that faded into a bright red. An interesting note was that the outer skin felt oily and had a nice smell as if the mango itself was sweating resinous sugar. When I cut open the mango it revealed a bright orange flesh with some watery juice and a pleasant sweet smell. The flesh was soft and juicy. The texture had some fine fiber which I took a picture of zoomed in above and what I call "bristly" when i describe mouth feel, as well as some long stringy fiber. The tast was mildly sweet of mango flavor with a little resin twist.

-Joep450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »
Here is a florigon mango from truly tropical:

This florigon was 4in long and weighed 394g, it was a flat orange color with black freckling and a large anthracnose streak. This was another mango which had an oily feel to the outside skin. When I cut open the mango it revealed a deep orange color with hardly any excess juice.  The juice that was present adhered to the flesh and was a syrupy consistency. The flesh was smooth with a consistency somewhere between gelatinous and creamy completely absent of fiber. The sugar content seemed mild and the taste seemed like mild honeydew melon. Overall I thought the flesh was of desert quality but it was not really sweet and lacked any distinct flavor characteristics, maybe this was watered down? Worthy of a second try.

-JoeP450

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
Enjoy the reviews Joe, very descriptive and easy to follow layout. Thanks again.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »
Yes, thanks for all your great reviews Joe...its very helpful. There are SO many mangoes I've never tasted...

I like Haden...not one of my favorites but I' was given some and have purchased a couple from a local vegetable stand... and they aren't too bad, more fiber than I normally prefer but a good mango all the same...Just personally wouldn't  plant a tree. Too many others on my wish list  :)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »
Here is a springfels mango purchased from ensy's:

This was a beast of a mango and it served as desert after dinner for me, my wife, her grandpa, aunt and uncle. It was great to share this mango with them because they, besides my wife, have only had what is available in the stores to purchase as their experience with mango. This mango was 2lbs and 5.5oz and 6.75in long. The outside coloration is distinct to the other springfels i have seen with a streaking of color from to to bottom and was red fading into orange into yellow. My uncle was particularly interested in how to process a mango, so I first halved the mango lengthwise and then cubed it by the "hedge-hog" method and presented it on a plate. The flesh was yellow, soft and juicy. The texture had some long fibers with some small bristly ones not very noticeable when cubed. The taste to me was similar to a Valencia pride with slight tangy-ness and when I asked the table what they were tasting, my wife's aunt replied with "apricot" which seemed probable. There was a lot of meat on this mango and the seed is monoembryonic.

-JoeP450

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »
Edit to the above: by distinct to the other springfels I have seen I meant distinct along with the other springfels I have seen. It's like the sun paints these mangos in streaks vertically up and down.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
Here is the banana mango purchased from ensy's:

This mango is very unusual in that it has a long "S" shape, is thin, with striking red pink yellow coloration. The mango was 5.75in long and weighed 282g. The outside of the mango smelled just like green unripe bananas. When I cut the mango open it revealed a golden yellow flesh, with some watery juice present. Unseen in the pictures, there were long stringy fibers that ran the length of the mango from top to bottom which made it difficult to spoon out. Also the amount of available flesh to seed is very small as this mango is pretty thin which made it difficult to extract any flesh around the long fibers. The flesh was soft and juicy and the flavor was similar to eating an unripe green cavendish banana: tangy, sweet, and bitter banana was the taste and it even made my tongue itch for some reason. The seed is funny looking and is monoembryonic. Overall I was disappointed, rating this above the wise mango only because of looks. Worth a try for novelty purposes but don't say I didn't warn you! I'd eat a banana any day over this mango.

-JoeP450

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best/Near-Perfect Dessert Mangoes - Cultivar Reviews
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:04 PM »
This is the list I have so far of 'Perfect (or near perfect) Dessert Mango Cultivars.' I'm trying to make a list of mango cultivars that have no fiber, a thin seed, and taste good:

Tebow
July 29, 2013
Medium size mango. It changes to a yellowish color when it's ready to pick. It's completly fiberless, and has a very thin seed. This is a dessert mango. If what they mean by dessert, is that you can slice each side of the mango, and then scoop the flesh/meat out with a spoon, then this is it; perfect mango so far. Now, the flavor, let me put it this way, it doesn't reach the caliber taste of an Edward or Alphonso mango. Nevertheless, it's sweet and tasty. When I'm done eating one, I always want more. I have a producing tree in my yard, and every year I can't wait to eat its fruit. That tree is a keeper.
August 13, 2013
Today I had a tree ripened Tebow mango off the the tree in my yard. The color was yellow, the size was medium-large. And, I want to take another shot at the description of the taste, while being as impartial as possible. This mango cultivar is not like others, where when you have one mango, you're satisfied and don't really crave for more. With this cultivar, I always want more. The taste is sweet but not overwhelming/overpowering, it's a delicious, fine, delicate taste. It reminds me of addictive fruits like lychee and longan, you just want to keep on eating more and more. The seed is very thin, and there is a lot of flesh to eat.
LEOOEL

Maha Chanok
Many consider it the best mango had ever tasted. Very rare mango variety from Singapore. Its is a long fruit looking similar to Nam Doc Mai but with a pink blush. The season is long and can vary from year to year. It is fiberless with good flesh to seed ratio. The seed is almost paper thin. This mango would be perfect for the container considering its slow growth habit. May be aslo spelled Maha Chanok or Maha Chanok.
Top Tropicals

Carrie

I am a big fan of Carrie and I know most people have had it but here is my review. Usually I eat carries a little bit greener mostly because I just can't wait to eat them and because they can get more juicy the longer they are allowed to ripen. This carrie above at just over 4 inches long was a yellow gold with some green splotches mixed in and felt pretty soft and ready to eat. When I cut the top off I could immediately smell it's piney aroma similar of when you first open an orange you get hit with the bitter sweet smell of the peel. I next halved the mango which displayed a bright orange juicy fiberless flesh. Of note, of the carries I have had most have soft nose even though they are not so pointed I believe this is a side effect of really soft flesh. The flavor is very interesting in that as you eat it sort of changes shape from sweet mango with subacid citrus to an edge of piney-resinous aftertaste the closer you get to the skin. A delicious mango in my opinion. Yum.
-joep450

Carrie Mango - the flavor is by far the most outstanding feature of this variety. It has absolutely no fiber and extremely rich in flavor, sweet, aromatic and a pure pleasure to eat. You will savor every mouthful! Its compact size makes it an excellent dooryard tree that requires minimal care. Both fruit and tree have little to no problem with fungus or disease. Lack of color and firmness are the only shortcomings of this superb variety. To determine where to pick, look for a subtle yellow color at its base. Do not let the fruit drop from a tree, or it will bruise since it's completely fiberless. Many people agree that this is the best tasting mango in existence!
Top Tropicals

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:40:18 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »
Someone help me understand Nam Doc Mai a little better. I bought a big bucket from a homeowner on MI. The first one I had tasted pretty good, with a complex flavor and a pleasing vanilla aftertaste.  Every one after that has been HORRIBLE - like an off metallic taste coupled with a terrible astringency. Just Blech.

They came off the same tree and were picked at the same time... I've waited until they were soft and mostly yellow.  Were they picked too early?  I keep hearing about how good NDM is but so far I'm not seeing it.

Slopfog

• Port St. Lucie, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Best/Near-Perfect Dessert Mangoes - Cultivar Reviews
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
I agree that Carrie is one of the absolute bests I've had.

I got to say, for as common as it is, a good Florida grown Kent is hard to beat. The ones I've had this year have consistently been better than the Edwards I've obtained this year.

I haven't had the pleasure of tasting the Zill creations, although there's a small coconut cream growing in the backyard.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »
I had a Maha last week and it had fiber

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2013, 01:25:15 AM »
I had a Maha last week and it had fiber

Could it be that there are different varieties of Maha? If so, I sure dislike the confusion.

Slopfog, I agree those Kent can be real good. It's interesting that the ones you've had are up there or better than Edward's, wow.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
Here is an Irwin mango I purchased from ensy's:

This mango was a striking burgundy color and on the smaller side being 3.75in long and weighing 265g. When I cut open the mango it revealed a butterscotch yellow color flesh with some watery juice. The flesh was soft and watery, the texture was fiberless. The flavor was a mild sweet with a slight tangy-ness and with a refreshing aftertaste somewhat reminiscent to cucumber not in taste but like a cool refreshing. The seed is monoembryonic and not really big compared to the mango but since the mango was small to begin with there was a small amount of edible flesh. The mango-lite meal option on the mango diet.

-JoeP450

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
I agree that Carrie is one of the absolute bests I've had.

I got to say, for as common as it is, a good Florida grown Kent is hard to beat. The ones I've had this year have consistently been better than the Edwards I've obtained this year.

I haven't had the pleasure of tasting the Zill creations, although there's a small coconut cream growing in the backyard.

Kent can be very very good. Can be full flavored delirious complex sweet. I am waiting for mine to get ripe. Not too many fruits but they seem to be 2-3 weeks away from ripeness.
Last year I found an old Kent tree that was dropping fruits over a hedge beyond where the homeowner (who had a hundred+ anyway) was not retrieving them. So I retrieved some, awesome fruit and large!

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »
Here is a sunset mango mango I purchased from ensy's:

This is a very pretty mango which I think has rightfully earned the name sunset! This mango had green, yellow, orange, and pink blush. It weighed 420g and was just slightly over 5in long. Despite the large amount of green on the mango it felt soft and ripe though also absent of any mango smell. When I cut open the mango it revealed a bright yellow flesh glazed over with syrupy juice adhering to the mango. The flesh had a slight creamy texture to it and was fiberless. The taste was sweet-citrus, of a lemon-lime sprinkled with sugar and a little tangy mango flavor. The flesh to seed ratio in this mango was good with plenty of flesh to eat, the seed is monoembryonic. I am particularly not a fan of tart in mangos but I really liked the flavor in this mango, thought it was delicious. Anyone know who is currently propagating growing this mango?

-JoeP450

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2013, 07:57:34 PM »
What a great thread. I think i'll add my 3 cents, all commercial varieties found at the indian store. No pics, sorry.

Haden: Blah. bleh. fibery. not worth the $$.

Ataulfo:; Eek. WHat happened here?they were so much better last year. This year, bug infested and sour. Worthless.. I should have been paid to take these of their hands.

Kent: A single ray of sunshine in this mango dystopia. Sweet, rich, creamy, worth every bite and more. At least comparatively to everything else we had access to. The flesh was fiberless, yellow orange in color. Just like sunshine! I had about three of these. Because it was so good, a seed somehow found it's way into a cup of dirt, and magic turned it into a small seedling  ;D.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »

This is a very pretty mango which I think has rightfully earned the name sunset! This mango had green, yellow, orange, and pink blush. It weighed 420g and was just slightly over 5in long. Despite the large amount of green on the mango it felt soft and ripe though also absent of any mango smell. When I cut open the mango it revealed a bright yellow flesh glazed over with syrupy juice adhering to the mango. The flesh had a slight creamy texture to it and was fiberless. The taste was sweet-citrus, of a lemon-lime sprinkled with sugar and a little tangy mango flavor. The flesh to seed ratio in this mango was good with plenty of flesh to eat, the seed is monoembryonic. I am particularly not a fan of tart in mangos but I really liked the flavor in this mango, thought it was delicious. Anyone know who is currently propagating growing this mango?

-JoeP450

I did pickup a Sunset via the mango festival but am not 100% sure it is the same one.  Seed planted today...

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:17 PM »
I believe the ensey sunset is different from the fairchild one...

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »

-JoeP450

I did pickup a Sunset via the mango festival but am not 100% sure it is the same one.  Seed planted today...

What you got would have been the Frank Adam's Sunset from Bokeelia, FL. The only example of the Merrit Island Sunset growing outside of MI that I'm aware of is the tree at the Fruit and Spice park.