Author Topic: papaya issue  (Read 2038 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
papaya issue
« on: September 03, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
My papayas are growing well. They are my first home growing, so I am very happy :)
During the last inspection of the trees I realized that some fruits have white grains on the skin, like salt grains. If you remove them a few drops of white fluid like coconut milk comes out from the inner.
Is that bad? Have to worry about my fruits?

Mike

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
Re: papaya issue
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
Collect them all and they make the best meat tenderizer for Raccoon and opossum; chasing away that Urban trash flavor.  The white sal is called papain.  Don't get it on open wound or your eyes.  The insects bite on green fruits the plant secret it to protect itself. I have breed a fly resistant variety that produce of sap for tenderizing cheap cut like brisket and cap beef.  No need to use papain on road kill! ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »
papain, never heard this before!. Do you think they they are useless (the fruits)?
Mike

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
My papaya get these too.  Nothing to worry about.  It does not ruin the fruit.  My guess is that it's a mild wound to the fruit's skin, and the fruit scabs over to protect further damage.  I suggest not picking them off.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »
Ι conclude something is attacking my fruits and that is the reaction of the fruits. That means if they are bigger, or full mature nothing or almost nothing is to see and I can consume them normal. Right?
Mike

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:16:23 PM »
Ι conclude something is attacking my fruits and that is the reaction of the fruits. That means if they are bigger, or full mature nothing or almost nothing is to see and I can consume them normal. Right?

If they ripe and you dont find any fat white maggot you will be ok, but if you do dont panic.  Shake the maggot out, you will notice the papaya fruit flies grub ls are quite nice and fat.  Throw them in water & let them swell five minutes, they should purge.  Hot skillet with olive oil, throw the maggot in light flour coating & light fried until light brown; dam crispy like meaty nutty popcorn. You can serve it on a slaw of green papaya.  One year I grew some carribean red and fifty five lbs big green fruits were full of them; like a good Apalachian Redneck that I am, I did not let a pest situation going to waste to fill my belly.

After that minuscule meal it left my hunger wanting better, I chop down 14 papyas trees of the red carribean and planted the Borneo giant red which was excellent, I kind off miss those crunchy gourmet critters thought!  :'( ;)
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 01:05:01 AM »

If they ripe and you dont find any fat white maggot you will be ok, but if you do dont panic.  Shake the maggot out, you will notice the papaya fruit flies grub ls are quite nice and fat.  Throw them in water & let them swell five minutes, they should purge.  Hot skillet with olive oil, throw the maggot in light flour coating & light fried until light brown; dam crispy like meaty nutty popcorn. You can serve it on a slaw of green papaya.  One year I grew some carribean red and fifty five lbs big green fruits were full of them; like a good Apalachian Redneck that I am, I did not let a pest situation going to waste to fill my belly.

After that minuscule meal it left my hunger wanting better, I chop down 14 papyas trees of the red carribean and planted the Borneo giant red which was excellent, I kind off miss those crunchy gourmet critters thought!  :'( ;)
Great suggestion for a meal! ;)
Which varieties are resistant to fruit flies?
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk