Author Topic: single scionwood on multiple rootstocks  (Read 1301 times)

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
single scionwood on multiple rootstocks
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:42:41 AM »

Have anyone tried multiple rootstocks for single scionwood? I have the harvey lemon about 2 years old on sour orange rootstock, and I am thinking of grafting (adding) several smaller trifoliate rootstocks to the same tree.

What will happen? Will it increase growing speed, increase cold tolerance or become more susceptible to diseases?

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: single scionwood on multiple rootstocks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
I was looking at my 2 Arctic Frost and was wonder why it had a graft joint about 1ft up and then another joint a little further up. I was actually wondering if that was why they were doing so bad. They were still in the house on the sun porch so I finally dragged them outside to see if that would help. I wanted to put them in the ground this year to test there hardiness but they looked anemic. I did plant one yesterday, since I had 2 of them. I bought these a few years ago and due to illness they stayed inside. They are plants from Garden Debut.
My name is Cindy

Samodelkin

• Simferopol 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »
Citrus tree on 2 roots of different varieties. I have a problem with chlorosis in my garden when using trifoliates as a rootstock. The second inoculation of the rootstock, the pomelo was rescued from chlorosis and enhanced the nutrition of the tree.

lavender87

• USA, GA, Smyrna, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 02:07:36 PM »
I was looking at my 2 Arctic Frost and was wonder why it had a graft joint about 1ft up and then another joint a little further up. I was actually wondering if that was why they were doing so bad. They were still in the house on the sun porch so I finally dragged them outside to see if that would help. I wanted to put them in the ground this year to test there hardiness but they looked anemic. I did plant one yesterday, since I had 2 of them. I bought these a few years ago and due to illness they stayed inside. They are plants from Garden Debut.

Based on your description, I think that tree has an intermediate stock of the thrid cultivar. Many famrers in my countries do so for mangos. It serves as a buffer to help increasing the compatibility of the scionwood and rootstock.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »
Sounds like intermddiate graft. Done to facilitate compatibility in most cases