Author Topic: 2 more Mangos  (Read 5037 times)

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: 2 more Mangos
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2020, 06:16:44 AM »
Thank you for the info on Phoenix..very useful!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2020, 10:41:09 AM »
Does not ripen up that well when picked mature green.

That must be why no one in any of the mango tasting videos seems to get that excited about Phoenix.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
Does not ripen up that well when picked mature green.

That must be why no one in any of the mango tasting videos seems to get that excited about Phoenix.
Nice catch and good observation I'm going to make a note of that on my notepad app. I have been wanting to ask how or what's the best timing or way to pick a DOT mango? Reason for that is last month was the first time I ever had a Dot.  Where I live  you can't just drive down the road and get good quality mangoes.An acquaintance of mine made a mango run to South Florida. By the time I got to his house all that was left was two dots mangos in the bottom of a bucket that appeared to be green sappy or milky. I figured what the hay I'll take a chance and I bought them and put them in a box for 10 days. They were awesome so i drove to Delray Beach and bought a 7 gallon tree. A couple weeks after that I got an assorted bag that had one Dot in it. It was  partially ripe off the tree and did not seem as good as the one that was picked green and finished in a box. I do not want to go to the well one too many times but does anyone have any thoughts or insight on the proper way to pick a Dot Mango?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:19:53 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 12:18:07 PM »
Dots tend to not be very good either when picked green (to be honest, I am in a "group" that believes mangoes picked mature green tend to not show their real potential).  If mangoes bleed milky sap when picked (the more sap the worse off you will be), mist likely was not ready and will not ripen up properly.

With that being said, sometimes picked full ripe from the tree can be past prime quality.  I believe there is a right time to pick each variety and it varies from variety to variety.  It takes practice and time to find the sweet spot.
- Rob

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 01:14:06 PM »
Dots tend to not be very good either when picked green (to be honest, I am in a "group" that believes mangoes picked mature green tend to not show their real potential).  If mangoes bleed milky sap when picked (the more sap the worse off you will be), mist likely was not ready and will not ripen up properly.

With that being said, sometimes picked full ripe from the tree can be past prime quality.  I believe there is a right time to pick each variety and it varies from variety to variety.  It takes practice and time to find the sweet spot.
I was hoping you could elaborate on this.

I have had pests destroying the stone fruit this year and would like to select varieties (of mango) I could bring in before they get destroyed.
Yes I'm aware of making baskets for protecting the fruit while it tree ripens, but if it's not squirrels, it's beetles, earwigs, etc.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »

I was hoping you could elaborate on this.

I have had pests destroying the stone fruit this year and would like to select varieties (of mango) I could bring in before they get destroyed.
Yes I'm aware of making baskets for protecting the fruit while it tree ripens, but if it's not squirrels, it's beetles, earwigs, etc.
Millika comes to my mind.At first sign/strip of yellow pick it put in box for 7 to 10 day. Mine tastes of honey dew melon. I just order one of these Keow Savoy you can eat green like apple or let it ripen.But yes i hope others elaborate who have a deeper knowledge base.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 02:46:53 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2020, 02:44:46 PM »
Mallika is one that truly can be picked at the proper stage of mature green.  Taste profile of a quality fruit ranges from orange creamsicle to sweet cantaloupe (they can also have a sweet candied carrot taste that some despise).  Easily eaten over a hundred Mallika and never had them taste of a honeydew (only fruit that comes to mind that has that honeydew taste is the Aussie green mulberry).  If I recall, they arent a good choice for Cali.
- Rob

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
They say that coconut cream and carrie can be picked green without any flavor loss.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2020, 03:02:48 PM »
Mallika is one that truly can be picked at the proper stage of mature green.  Taste profile of a quality fruit ranges from orange creamsicle to sweet cantaloupe (they can also have a sweet candied carrot taste that some despise).  Easily eaten over a hundred Mallika and never had them taste of a honeydew (only fruit that comes to mind that has that honeydew taste is the Aussie green mulberry).  If I recall, they arent a good choice for Cali.
As Ed McMahon would say. You are correct Sir! The boss my wife just set me straight on the difference of the two melons :)

yoski

• Sebring, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 05:32:05 PM »
I went by Tropical Acres and talked to Alex. He seemed pretty enthusiastic about the Cac, so I went with that one. He will graft me a Son Pari ready in October.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 07:57:05 PM »
I went by Tropical Acres and talked to Alex. He seemed pretty enthusiastic about the Cac, so I went with that one. He will graft me a Son Pari ready in October.
Wonderful choice! I also like Dupuis Saigon.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2020, 09:36:26 PM »

Cac is very good. You had many mango choices thrown at you and Cac is solid!