Author Topic: Camu Camu forest (Myrciaria dubia)  (Read 10815 times)

Alejandro45

• Palm Beach FL, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Camu Camu forest (Myrciaria dubia)
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »
Congratulations Greg! I do understand that you worked hard for that knowledge and giving it all away is silly. But can you tell me where you purchased your shade house from? I really like that design.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 01:37:11 PM »
Congratulations Greg! I do understand that you worked hard for that knowledge and giving it all away is silly. But can you tell me where you purchased your shade house from? I really like that design.

It’s a commercial size greenhouse with shade cloth over it. The grow site is a nursery.
I grow Camu Camu, it’s what I do.
Www.camucamufarms.com

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Guanabanas,medical science is open source.

I understand, but you know, I’m not a trust fund guy, I’m a commercial grower who will never be able to retire.  But I’m successful and enjoy sharing with others as you might see from my posts.
The reason I am on this forum is not to boast about my success but to share and learn especially. I have really learned a LOT  from some pretty knowledgeable people who post here.
Saludos
Peter

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
I know several people who maintain proprietary information within their horticultural practice. But they don’t post on this forum. Because, what would be the purpose of posting if you’re not willing to share your experiences, your learning process with others as most of us do?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 08:26:40 PM »
One can actually do both: be very helpful about most categories of information, but sometimes choose to say that something is proprietary, and expect that that simply be accepted.
Har

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »
I don’t get the point of posting then. To say,’ look what we’ve accomplished’ but be unwilling to share how you did it...
I’ve posted a lot on this forum but I have read tens of thousands of posts and it is hard for me to remember sometime that someone refused to share information about how they succeeded in some project that interests us. People whose income relies on their expertise, say Oscar, for example, share info on seed storing, etc.  It’s how this forum works, why we come back to it everyday.
Peter

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 10:05:45 PM »
I don’t get the point of posting then. To say,’ look what we’ve accomplished’ but be unwilling to share how you did it...
I’ve posted a lot on this forum but I have read tens of thousands of posts and it is hard for me to remember sometime that someone refused to share information about how they succeeded in some project that interests us. People whose income relies on their expertise, say Oscar, for example, share info on seed storing, etc.  It’s how this forum works, why we come back to it everyday.
Peter

Medical science is also proprietary. 

Most of the info on Camu Camu is free and easy to find. Some of the methods I am using are proprietary. I have implemented a system and stuck with it.  I’m not a trust funder either. I’m a high school teacher with a background in criminal justice, psychology and sociology. I took horticulture classes for fun.

I spent $1k a year for 9 years with countless hours of research. It started on this forum but it shouldn’t end here. It’s just a starting point.

Most of what you need to know is available on here. I can help in areas I can but I will not jeopardize my situation.

So why post here? Good question. Most people do to get or give information. Others further reading and just hobby.  My question would be, what stops someone else from doing what I have done? Time? Effort?

I’m not boasting nor would I. I’m merely giving information that has already been discussed and suggesting there are some inconsistencies with some of that information.

The “HOW” isn’t significant if it isn’t consistent. Thus this is the reason I posted. Some of the information delivered about this particular plant in inaccurate so far. In fact, a lot of information is missing. I just pieced it together over a long term study. This post is just an update.

I have offered information. I have given information as to what can be done.

One person that has way more knowledge than me about these plants, and someone I look up to, gained a lot from here and has been quite  successful on his own.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 10:08:04 PM by greg794855 »
Www.camucamufarms.com

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 05:54:34 AM »
Nothing wrong with being selective on what and how much information you want to divulge at this time or any. Your findings came at a cost to you. Thank you Greg for sharing about your forest. Looks really healthy.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 06:21:07 AM »
All of our findings come at a cost to all of us, shared or not.
Out of curiosity, who else that posts here has refused to share?  I don’t remember any, if I’m mistaken, then I stand corrected.
Off to the farmers market.
With all due respect,
Peter

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »
Nothing wrong with being selective on what and how much information you want to divulge at this time or any. Your findings came at a cost to you. Thank you Greg for sharing about your forest. Looks really healthy.

Thank you, I am curious as to how much they will fruit this year. I need roughly 20-30 pounds for testing. The research varies as to how much each tree produces and when.
Www.camucamufarms.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
Thanks for posting on your Camu camu experiment/ trails will be interesting to see results!

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »

These guys will be propagated. I can’t get over the number of flowers ready to bloom and fruit ready to ripen!
Www.camucamufarms.com

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
Out of curiosity, who else that posts here has refused to share?  I don’t remember any, if I’m mistaken, then I stand corrected.
With all due respect,
Peter

With all due respect I also have to participate: In my experience EVERYONE benefits from a free exchange of knowledge. Specially on a forum like this one. Open information is the principle by which the best science has been done universally and most of human progress has come about (think universities, scientific institutes and the Internet). Information is not a zero-sum game and knowledge grows exponentially as more information is available, benefiting everyone. You can't force people to share their "proprietary knowledge" but IMO those who act in such a way end up losing more in the long term as others will not share information with them. IMO the rationale for not sharing discoveries (for example specifically in this forum) is short-sighted and missing the "big-picture". I hope your "proprietary information strategy" on camu-camu makes you the billionaire king of camu-camu!

BTW I've had a handful of camu-camus for over 4 years. I haven't given them any special treatment, and I believe after 4 years of healthy growth they're finally decaying... too bad :( hahaha
Federico
Homestead, FL

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 08:33:14 PM »
Thank You Federico for your response to this conversation.  I still hope that everyone who posts here will be willing to share.  If not, then why post?  I can understand keeping something proprietary although it never seems to stay a secret with time.  But just keep it to yourself then, don’t tease the interest of those who are here to share totally.
Peter

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
I think you guys may be taking this too seriously. He said he doesn't know how much or when they'll produce, and that he spent "$1k a year for 9 years and countless hours of research". He also said they fruit in under 4 years, so you'd think he'd know when they produce, and how much. $1k a year sounds pretty darn low to me, but it would have sounded like a lot when I was a kid. Maybe this guy's legit and he really does have some super secret methods, but if he is a troll, I think you're feeding him.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 01:09:37 PM »
There are definitely a couple goobers here that are less than forthcoming with information after presenting a brand new “top tier” fruit to the forum that is the best thing noone has ever heard of and then refuse to answer any questions on where it came from or possible parentage or that they really renamed an already known fruit.
So for the sake of conversation, in the mind of a nursery-man/woman, which is the worst offense 1. Knowingly selling mislabeled fruit tree’s or
2. Knowingly renaming a well known cultivar and passing it off as your own hybrid?
Ie, “ No No , thats not Big Jim loquat thats a “Giant Honey Golden “ Loquat “  buy my delicious “ Giant Honey Golden”.

And good luck to “We” and your Camu Camu planting that anyone could do if only we had the time / effort.
If you come to stroke instead of come to share then maybe beating it is the best course of action.

quote author=Finca La Isla link=topic=30335.msg338448#msg338448 date=1542453667]
With all due respect,
Peter
[/quote]

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
First of all let me start by clearing the air:

I’m not a troll. I’m not out to make billions. Some monetary gain would be nice but I’m very realistic in what I think I can achieve.

It pisses me off that there are people (a company) charging $33 a freaking seedling to consumers knowing damn well that the people that buy them won’t keep it alive for more than a couple of years at most. This company has Amazon and EBay consumers trapped in a sales tactic that for the most part is a scam.

Search Camu Camu plants on those store fronts and check.

So how do I know that one of the people getting information from this forum isn’t using it for seedling production and ripping people off?

By all means check my profile. Does it appear to be one that would troll?

I never said I won’t share information. I’ve already shared some.

I said I won’t share some of the proprietary information. That is information that will assist others from doing what companies have already done-market this product in the completely wrong way and sell overpriced goods.

I posted to show what is possible. That’s it. I can refrain and not post, that’s fine by me. I don’t mean to offend anyone nor would I with any intention at all.

I haven’t renamed anything, changed a name or developed anything other than a method to grow Camu Camu successfully on a massive scale in Louisiana. That’s it.

We have found a couple of unique things in several plants but that’s for another post and I’m guessing at this point that that in itself will piss people off.

If this is a problem I will delete and move on. That’s fine. I apologize for any inconvenience.
Www.camucamufarms.com

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 09:12:14 PM »
For those that doubt my efforts. I searched several years for seeds. When I finally found some I was determined on growing this plant. I spent 6 years just getting the seedlings to start and thrive-all while collecting data on a daily basis. While $1k a year is not a lot the time spent is worth far more. My project started as a backyard attempt.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:53:10 PM by greg794855 »
Www.camucamufarms.com

Jake

• US flordia cape coral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 11:22:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing Greg. Keep up the good work and please don't let a few people keep you from posting here.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
Greg, we get you, keep up the good work in keep posting.
There are those who feel entitled to everything, and for free too.  Please learn how to ignore them.  You do not owe them or us an explanation. 
What you are doing is one of the reasons I am on the forum.  Sharing what you know can be done, there is value in knowing someone is successfully growing this in Louisiana.

Keep working on your study, post what you are comfortable posting when your are, we will all be here when you make your big reveal and we will love it free or at a cost.  This is one of the ways progress is made, people are incentivized to work, do something new or better, get paid for it and move the ball forward.  If you stop your posting, they win, we lose.  So please keep posting.
In closing, some of us get you and want you to continue.

My take.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!!!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »
Eloquently said, Orkine!
Har

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2018, 07:46:45 AM »
Greg, we get you, keep up the good work in keep posting.
There are those who feel entitled to everything, and for free too.  Please learn how to ignore them.  You do not owe them or us an explanation. 
What you are doing is one of the reasons I am on the forum.  Sharing what you know can be done, there is value in knowing someone is successfully growing this in Louisiana.

Keep working on your study, post what you are comfortable posting when your are, we will all be here when you make your big reveal and we will love it free or at a cost.  This is one of the ways progress is made, people are incentivized to work, do something new or better, get paid for it and move the ball forward.  If you stop your posting, they win, we lose.  So please keep posting.
In closing, some of us get you and want you to continue.

My take.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!!!

Agree, after checking some of the complainers out more thoroughly I’ve come to the realization that they probably want the information for profitability. Not only are they doing that but they are passing off the information as their own. I’ll just post updates on progress and any other basic information. If they don’t like it they can simply go to another discussion.
Www.camucamufarms.com

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
Lmao it's a conspiracy you figured it out. Finca La Isla is a Chinese agricultural technology spy agency.

greg794855

• louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Camu Camu
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2018, 12:10:11 PM »
Lmao it's a conspiracy you figured it out. Finca La Isla is a Chinese agricultural technology spy agency.

LMAO!!!!!
Www.camucamufarms.com

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2018, 12:34:01 PM »
:D Legit though, I didn't mean to make you think you aren't welcome. I just think the way you've said some things seems intentionally provocative. I mean what kind of response do you really expect when you post, "Hey look at these amazing plants I grew using secret methods which I won't reveal, but which are going to change the world of tropical fruit growing" on a tropical fruit forum? I think it's natural that some people will take offense.

FWIW, Finca La Isla has a big permaculture project in Costa Rica and has been doing this for thirty years. He seems like a really nice guy. Here's a tour of his place: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzk1hoctyxE