Author Topic: Wabash Pawpaw  (Read 7934 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Wabash Pawpaw
« on: April 19, 2014, 08:44:46 PM »
A photo of the pawpaw fruit forming on my Wabash pawpaw.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Wabash Pawpaw
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »
Ed
Very cool to see that....keep us advised on the fruiting!   
FloridaGreenMan

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:06:19 PM »
excellent!

is that tree still in a pot?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
Yes Adam! It's growing really well in a pot.

Ed

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
Very cool Ed! How many years did you wait for your Wabash to fruit?

Tomas

TropicalFruitHunters

• Bangkok, Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
why don't you plant it out in the yard?  Mine are many weeks behind yours.  Blooms not even large enough to open yet.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:44:59 PM »
It fruited the 2nd year. It was a grafted plant when I got it. I plan to plant it in the ground once we move to our permanent location. We are in the process of building a house.

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 11:14:56 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen a pawpaw fruit in a pot!

that would be something I'd like to see!

good luck!

(did u have another pawpaw present for cross pollination??)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 11:47:05 PM »
It blew my mind the first time I saw Paw Paw set fruit!! Very cool pic thanks for sharing ;) 8)

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 12:27:04 AM »
Nope no other pawpaw present for pollination! That is mis information that keeps getting passed on that you have to have 2 different pawpaws for fruit! It might increase your fruit set but you do not need 2 plants for fruit! Even though every nursery that sells them will tell you that! The Wabash is the only variety that I am growing and the only one that is blooming here right now.

Ed

I don't think I've ever seen a pawpaw fruit in a pot!

that would be something I'd like to see!

good luck!

(did u have another pawpaw present for cross pollination??)

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »

This picture is of a pawpaw flower in the receptive stage. The petals are cut away to expose the sexual parts. The large green mass at the bottom is the unmature anthers. There are 5 stigma protruding up through mass. If pollinated there is a possibility of 5 fruit. A flower with only say three stigma will develop only three fruit if all are pollinated.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:31:12 AM »
The next picture is of a flower which is past the receptive stage and the anthers have matured. The green mass has turned gray and if you look closely pollen is on the petals. The problem is getting this pollen to flowers that are receptive.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
Ed, do you have any updates on your Wabash? I am very interested in more info on your container grown Paw paw.
Because of your success with growing containerized paw paws I am trying my hand at it. I have five  trees that went from one gallon pots to fifteen gallon pots(Prolific, Hillcrest, Sunflower, and two Mango). The trees have not been particularly robust but have survived repotting and  pushed leaves. This was done during the first week of June. I will be heading to Shadow nursery in Winchester Tn to pick up a few more including the Wabash.
  What size pot are you using, winter protection, current tree size,  etc. so and so on. If you could also post a recent pic of your tree I would greatly appreciate it! I know I am asking a lot but winter is coming and I don't want to get caught with pants down and my paw paws blowing in the wind   ;D
Life is good

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »
Bob,

My fruit got up to about 3 inches long and then a rat or squirrel took bites out of it and broke my fruit cluster off. Mine are in a 25 gallon pot and they do not require any winter protection. You need to keep them in afternoon shade for the first couple years for good growth and then full sun is fine after that.

Ed

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »
You are dead on about the afternoon shade. I had my trees in morning shade/afternoon sun and almost fried them. They have been in afternoon shade for several weeks and are much happier now. Thanks for the update.
Life is good

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
Ed, do you have any updates on your Wabash? I am very interested in more info on your container grown Paw paw.
Because of your success with growing containerized paw paws I am trying my hand at it. I have five  trees that went from one gallon pots to fifteen gallon pots(Prolific, Hillcrest, Sunflower, and two Mango). The trees have not been particularly robust but have survived repotting and  pushed leaves. This was done during the first week of June. I will be heading to Shadow nursery in Winchester Tn to pick up a few more including the Wabash.
  What size pot are you using, winter protection, current tree size,  etc. so and so on. If you could also post a recent pic of your tree I would greatly appreciate it! I know I am asking a lot but winter is coming and I don't want to get caught with pants down and my paw paws blowing in the wind   ;D
Good luck, Bob (and Ed)!

My potted seedlings are doing pretty well, though they get hit with some late afternoon sun that I think stunted one or 2 of them. I have them under shade cloth but it was perhaps not dense enough.

The folks at Kentucky State Univ were not too keen on containerized pawpaws, but I have heard mention of folks in CA growing them. I may try one or more of my seedlings in pots, who knows...

P.S. I grew up in Winchester and went to church with the Shadows. Small world!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
Thanks! The folks at KSU are correct the pawpaw is not an ideal plant for container growing long term! I have been growing and grafting pawpaws since about 1985. I learned long ago to avoid growing them in just regular 1 gallon pots unless you plan to leave them in containers forever. A 3 inch tall seedling can have a 9 to 12 inch long tap root. I remember pulling 1 foot tall plants out of small gallon containers and it would look like 2 to 3 feet of tap root curled up in the bottom of the pot. If you are going to grow in containers I recommend you use some type of root pruning pot. The only reason I have a large one in a container is that we are in the process of buying properly to build a home on so I want all of my plants portable when I make my final move.

Thanks,

Ed

Good luck, Bob (and Ed)!

My potted seedlings are doing pretty well, though they get hit with some late afternoon sun that I think stunted one or 2 of them. I have them under shade cloth but it was perhaps not dense enough.

The folks at Kentucky State Univ were not too keen on containerized pawpaws, but I have heard mention of folks in CA growing them. I may try one or more of my seedlings in pots, who knows...

P.S. I grew up in Winchester and went to church with the Shadows. Small world!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
is your Wabash still holding fruits Ed?
(BTW, I'm supposed to be tasting my first A. triloba tomorrow!  Charles had a couple fruit on his tree this year, and one was picked yesterday!)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
(BTW, I'm supposed to be tasting my first A. triloba tomorrow!  Charles had a couple fruit on his tree this year, and one was picked yesterday!)

Very exciting! Please let us know how it goes!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
My fruit got up to about 3 inches long and then a rat or squirrel took bites out of it and broke my fruit cluster off. Mine are in a 25 gallon pot and they do not require any winter protection. You need to keep them in afternoon shade for the first couple years for good growth and then full sun is fine after that.

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 04:48:54 PM »
Damn rodents!!!

Sorry to hear this Ed.

Ed
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
It has been so dry here they are eating everything!

Damn rodents!!!

Sorry to hear this Ed.

Ed

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »
This year roof rats ate my Guanabanas and Mountain-Soursops, and we are not in any drought here.
Har

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 05:01:52 PM »

Pretty awesome, thanks for sharing, Ed...i'm going to try and fruit a pawpaw in a pot, as well. :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »
Should be easy for you Steven!

Pretty awesome, thanks for sharing, Ed...i'm going to try and fruit a pawpaw in a pot, as well. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk