Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620996 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #900 on: March 13, 2014, 10:32:22 PM »
Hi Keith,

I have Eugenia aggregata (Cherry of Rio Grande), Eugenia klotzschiana, Eugenia pyriformis, Eugenia speciosa. There may be others that I cannot remember at the moment. I have very limited space for my pots right now. Later on I will add some more Eugenias. There are many good Eugenias and almost all of them can be cultivated successfully in pots, which is what I like.

Tomas

Qoppa

• Wake Forest, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2014, 02:21:37 PM »
The klotzschiana looks pretty interesting.  Have you been successful fruiting it?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 14, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »
Hi Keith,

E. klotzschiana is very hard to grow - at least for me. I only have a small plant. It's more a curiosity for me. The fruit is supposed to be very sour.

Tomas

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 14, 2014, 02:26:27 PM »
Hi Keith,

E. klotzschiana is very hard to grow - at least for me. I only have a small plant. It's more a curiosity for me. The fruit is supposed to be very sour.

Tomas
http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/eugeniaklo.htm

Qoppa

• Wake Forest, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 14, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
Obrigado, Luis.  Tomas, I also forgot that I have a few E. stipitata seedlings.  I heard they were hard to germinate but they popped right up in about a month.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #905 on: March 18, 2014, 01:30:28 AM »
Hello there fellow fruit growers, Im buddyguygreen real name Jordan.

Im 23 florida native and live in Kissimmee FL at 125 feet altitude on a quarter acre. I just recently started growing exotic fruit trees. Im into chinese and aryurvedic medicine and thought why not try to grow the herbs to save money. So when i got into amazon herbs it was more of fruit medicine with herbs so I bought some camu camu seeds for the vitamin C, which grew amazing with some trial and error but ending up helping me with my green thumb, next thing i know Im getting into exotic fruit trees and it took off from there.  I always tried to grow papayas, mangos and avocados but never had any success and they just were never happy so I sort of gave up for some time (only my tangerine and grapefruit tree seemed to be at home), Then randomly 2 weeks after the japanese tsunami in 2011 I had a bunch of seeds i planted around my yard that never grew suddenly pop up and without doing any work they grew like it was their native region. So i tried various other fruit trees like figs and bananas and they grew amazing, better than ever before with the same work and soil. So I did more research and found this forum which is awesome with knowledge and good people. I then realized ive been living in a bubble with fruit trees thinking the ones in the store were the good ones (was i wrong, a trip to kauai'i fixed that ;)), So after realizing the possibilities of flavors I am now on a mission to have them all (with one problem not enough room but it doesn't hurt to try to fit as many as possible) ;D, I believe in canopy layering just like the amazon (tall trees that like sun, then medium trees that like partial sun, the small trees or bushes that like shade, and then ground cover). So with your help lets create a utopia of fruit trees :)

me in the beginning stages of my garden

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #906 on: March 18, 2014, 01:42:42 AM »
Hello there fellow fruit growers, Im buddyguygreen real name Jordan.

Im 23 florida native and live in Kissimmee FL at 125 feet altitude on a quarter acre. I just recently started growing exotic fruit trees. Im into chinese and aryurvedic medicine and thought why not try to grow the herbs to save money. So when i got into amazon herbs it was more of fruit medicine with herbs so I bought some camu camu seeds for the vitamin C, which grew amazing with some trial and error but ending up helping me with my green thumb, next thing i know Im getting into exotic fruit trees and it took off from there.  I always tried to grow papayas, mangos and avocados but never had any success and they just were never happy so I sort of gave up for some time (only my tangerine and grapefruit tree seemed to be at home), Then randomly 2 weeks after the japanese tsunami in 2011 I had a bunch of seeds i planted around my yard that never grew suddenly pop up and without doing any work they grew like it was their native region. So i tried various other fruit trees like figs and bananas and they grew amazing, better than ever before with the same work and soil. So I did more research and found this forum which is awesome with knowledge and good people. I then realized ive been living in a bubble with fruit trees thinking the ones in the store were the good ones (was i wrong, a trip to kauai'i fixed that ;)), So after realizing the possibilities of flavors I am now on a mission to have them all (with one problem not enough room but it doesn't hurt to try to fit as many as possible) ;D, I believe in canopy layering just like the amazon (tall trees that like sun, then medium trees that like partial sun, the small trees or bushes that like shade, and then ground cover). So with your help lets create a utopia of fruit trees :)

me in the beginning stages of my garden

Welcome Jordan. A lot of the fruits you had in Kauai should be fairly easy to grow in Florida, like lilikoi (passionfruit), guavas, papayas, and ofcourse bananas.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:15 AM »
Thank you oscar and may i say you have an amazing abundance of knowledge when it come to the exotics, Ive already learned so much reading through some of your posts, so Thank you. The lilikoi passion fruit was actually the first exotic I bought along with giant guava and their thriving, I recently purchased a few other different types of passionflower seeds like banana passionfruit, sweet calabash and giant granadilla, also some guava seeds like red strawberry, pineapple or feijoa, chilean guava, wild, Brazilian, and purple forest guava that just all sprouted so i cant wait to see what they taste like also. But I have to say the best fruit I tried in kauai was the cherimoya ;D, So Im definitely gonna collect the annona family. I have a few cherimoya seedlings growing now along with an ilama about 2 years old and a kepel thats about 2 years also, so Im catching up for lost time but still have few years before I get to taste the fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #908 on: March 18, 2014, 03:32:58 AM »
Thank you oscar and may i say you have an amazing abundance of knowledge when it come to the exotics, Ive already learned so much reading through some of your posts, so Thank you. The lilikoi passion fruit was actually the first exotic I bought along with giant guava and their thriving, I recently purchased a few other different types of passionflower seeds like banana passionfruit, sweet calabash and giant granadilla, also some guava seeds like red strawberry, pineapple or feijoa, chilean guava, wild, Brazilian, and purple forest guava that just all sprouted so i cant wait to see what they taste like also. But I have to say the best fruit I tried in kauai was the cherimoya ;D, So Im definitely gonna collect the annona family. I have a few cherimoya seedlings growing now along with an ilama about 2 years old and a kepel thats about 2 years also, so Im catching up for lost time but still have few years before I get to taste the fruit.

Cherimoya probably will be hard to fruit at your location, likes it cooler, but the other annonas, which are more tropical, like rollinia, sugar apple, atemoya, soursop, and ilama should be easier. Welcome to fruit addiction!  ;D
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 18, 2014, 04:49:30 AM »
Hi Jordan
That's a very nice collection you have going there:)
I would love to try some of the exotic passionfruits it's great that their flowers are so pretty too! I'm also very jealous of your kepel I wonder if there's any truth about its fruits making your sweat smell good? Probably not but interesting lore nonetheless:)
May I ask what TCM and Ayurvedic plants you grow/take? It's rare to find a westerner who takes and grows such things although jujube goji and Longan are widely grown for fruit not medicine but and are some of the 50 fundamental/superior herbs of TCM. I have tried many times to germinate schisandra berry but have never been good with  stratification.

This forum is a great place I only just joined but.have been getting info here for ages!  Oscar is not just a sage of fruit wisdom but also provides an awesome range of fruit seeds of very high quality. My slow mail took well over a month but nearly all my seeds survived I got 100% germination on rollinia and Starfruit even! A saviour for us third world.country folks ha ha. I must thank you Oscar as I would only have dreamed of growing such things otherwise:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #910 on: March 18, 2014, 04:54:26 AM »
Hi Jordan
That's a very nice collection you have going there:)
I would love to try some of the exotic passionfruits it's great that their flowers are so pretty too! I'm also very jealous of your kepel I wonder if there's any truth about its fruits making your sweat smell good? Probably not but interesting lore nonetheless:)
May I ask what TCM and Ayurvedic plants you grow/take? It's rare to find a westerner who takes and grows such things although jujube goji and Longan are widely grown for fruit not medicine but and are some of the 50 fundamental/superior herbs of TCM. I have tried many times to germinate schisandra berry but have never been good with  stratification.

This forum is a great place I only just joined but.have been getting info here for ages!  Oscar is not just a sage of fruit wisdom but also provides an awesome range of fruit seeds of very high quality. My slow mail took well over a month but nearly all my seeds survived I got 100% germination on rollinia and Starfruit even! A saviour for us third world.country folks ha ha. I must thank you Oscar as I would only have dreamed of growing such things otherwise:)

Hi Stuart, glad you received the seeds and were able to get them all growing. Hope you get lots of fruits! 8) Pass it on if they do fruit, so maybe these fruits can get more established in S. Africa.
Oscar

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 18, 2014, 05:21:37 AM »
Thank you very much Oscar:D
I hope to spread them as far as I can here and intend to also plant at my families more tropical coastal home.
Litchi and mangos are as exotic as it gets here so hopefully I can start a fruit revolution! Since I got such good germination rates I have offered some of my spares to any friends I trust to care for them I'm just glad I'm still young enough to take the journey from seed to fruit with these magnificent plants:D but there's alot more on the fruitlovers list that I "need" ha ha
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
« Reply #912 on: March 22, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am a peace corps volunteer serving in the small Caribbean island of Grenada. I have fallen in love with tropical fruit during my time here. It has been so much fun learning about and tasting all sorts of fruits that I never knew existed. I look forward to learning from this forum and sharing my experiences with fruit in Grenada!

Steve
Peace Corps Volunteer living in Grenada.. check out my fruit blog ---> www.fruitfanatic.net

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 23, 2014, 12:44:19 AM »
Hello there stuart, I view the TCM as well as Ayurvedic herbs as treasure, Its absolutely amazing how they work. Im currently growing some Foti, Chinese licorice, self heal, Brahmi, Albizzia julibrissin, Amla, Lo han guo, as well as Goji and Longan. Still trying to sprout the jujube and Shisandra, actually got a couple Shisandra to sprout 5 months after planting no stratification just planted straight in potting mix. Out of 40 seeds only 3 Shisandra have sprouted so far and only one is alive now after some trial and error, but I have been reading that it can take 6 months to 6 years to sprout the Shisandra seeds so patience definitely will pay off in this case.

ishani

• USA, Florida, Fort Myers, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 23, 2014, 01:18:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm 24, and love gardening and have collected a multitude of fruit trees. I love growing my own fruit and vegetables, its so satisfying. I love reading everyone's posts on this forum. As it currently stands, I have around 40+ different trees on my property. I have… :

-Peach               -Pomegranate
-Lemon             - Papaya (2)
-Lime               - Moringa
-Ambarella         -Rollinia
-Bananas (3)      -King coconut
-Plantains            -Goji berry
-Loquats (2)        -Guava (pink & white)
-Soursop             -Tangerine
-Grapefruit          -Mango (4) (Nam Doc Mai/Cogshall/Mallika/Glenn)
-Nectarine           -Avocado
-Passionfruit (yellow & purple)   
-Prickly pear        -Miracle fruit
-Pineapple (2)      -Dwarf mulberry
-Jackfruit             -Dragon fruit (pink & white)
-Fig (2) (LSU purple/ Black mission)
-Sesbania grandiflora (Hummingbird tree)
-Lychee               -Feijoa
-Longan               -Blueberry (3)
-Orange (2) (Valencia/Navel)
-Indian gooseberry   
-Dwarf carambola
-Jaboticaba
-Pink Lemon       -Cherry of the Rio Grand
-Blackberry (3)     -Cattley Guava
-Barbados cherry     

I'm still waiting on my last two orders which include: Bilimbi, Ross sapote, sapodilla, black sapote, peanut butter fruit, poha berry, blackberry jam fruit, abiu, pitomba, tamarind, rollinia, wood apple, wax jambu, persimmon, bay leaf, cinnamon, black pepper, and atemoya

I swear its like a sickness…I can't get enough! If there is anyone around the Fort Myers area, I'd be more than happy to give cuttings and whatnot. I look forward to hearing from other people and learning from this forum!!

-Ishani

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 23, 2014, 10:04:57 AM »
Hi Ishani,

You've a great collection and a great selection of trees coming in soon..:)
It will be great to hear more about your trees in the posts to come.

hehe yes, it is a bit like a sickness... the catching kind!!!  ;)
Welcome to the club!!

ishani

• USA, Florida, Fort Myers, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 23, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
Thanks GreenThumb, it was great hearing from you! I could always take some pictures of my trees haha.What kind of trees do you have? Or would like to grow? Looking forward to hearing back from you.

-ishani

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 24, 2014, 01:51:18 AM »
Wow ishani that quite the collection you must have alot of space and live somewhere tropical I'm jealous! Would love to see some pics:)

Buddy I'm going to have to get more schisandra I tried to stratify it in the fridge with ginseng but no luck germinating.
Alibizia is beautiful have you found it to calm the shen/spirit as I have read? I wish brahmi could grow well from seeds the Ayurvedic cognition enhancers are extremely interesting with promising scientific backing, iv found Celestrus seeds work well at exam time iv had a brahmi extract I found gave me focus.

I currently grow ashwagandha, holy basil/tulsi goji, malabar nut, turmeric, ginger and gotu-kola also have seedlings for fo ti, Amla, Longan, astragalus but had no luck with gynostema seeds. I cycle using extracts of various tonic herbs especially in stressful or contemplative times.
I also grow many S.A indigenous herbals used by the bushman/San and various tribes such as sutherlandia, sceletium  tortuosum, wild dagga, African potatoe, Marula tree and baobab tree and cannot wait to try unprocessed baobab

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:00:28 AM by stuartdaly88 »
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 25, 2014, 12:13:16 AM »
Thanks GreenThumb, it was great hearing from you! I could always take some pictures of my trees haha. What kind of trees do you have? Or would like to grow? Looking forward to hearing back from you.

-ishani

It would be great to see pics...so post away...:)
I do have a little garden corner myself and it seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. :P
I grow Jujubes, some stone fruit, pears, figs, annonas, mangos, loquats, Avocados, guava, Pomegranates,  olives, Banana, Sugarcane, pineapple, mulberry, papaya, lots of Citrus, Royal lee and Minnie royal cherries, Cherry of Rio Grande, Moringa, Neem, Feijoa, Pithecellobium dulce, Rabbiteye Blueberries, Goji berry, passion fruit vine, limonia acidissima(Kotha), beal fruit, Amla, Sapodillas, lychee, longan, Dragon fruit, Miracle Fruit, Star fruit, kwai muk, cashew, Jambolan...and a ton of seedings - :)
I am still trying my hand at growing garcinias and I hope I can add more garcinias and annonas to my collection, and if my zone didn't limit me, I'd add quite a few mango and lychee trees..:)
I do a bit of veg and herb gardening too, and do enjoy growing tropical flowers, esp to attract my hummers that are visiting right now, on their way up from Mexico.

:) Take care,
GT
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:31:36 PM by GreenThumb »

rac78

• Austalia Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 27, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Russell I live in Cairns Australia, I was given a pineapple sucker a few years ago which i loved looked after and moved around with me for nearly 2 years and it grew up and gave me probobly one of the best tasting pineapple I've ever tasted, then boom suckers everywhere then as fast as i was giving them away it just kept thowing these suckers where it got to the point my friends started calling me the crazy pineapple man. Time passes on and my friend Matty came for a visit one day and we where laughing about old times and he called me the crazy pineapple man, wich made me think a mango would go nice with my pineapples,then the lychee to go with the mango and so on and im addictid to plants and what better way to keep the insides running right. Thats not to much about me but thats a bit about my addiction
Russell

joaovox

• Portugal
    • View Profile
    • Casa Verde
« Reply #920 on: March 27, 2014, 05:19:19 PM »
Greetings from Central Portugal Mountains.

Invite you to meet the Avocado trees in Portugal on-going survey
http://abacateportugal.blogspot.com/

Besides Avo's i'm interested in Cherimoya Annona trees in Portugal.
http://anoneira.blogspot.com/
Other plants i'm growing in very early stage:
- brazil tomato
- pitanga
- white zapote
- black zapote
- Psidium cattleyanum
- passion fruit
- feijoa
- kumquat
- paw paw
- several muleberries
- physalis
- kiwino or summer kiwi
- kiwi
- lemongrass
- yacon
- jerusalem artichoke

temperate and mediterranean
- kakis
- plums
- apples
- pears
- olives
- figs
- walnuts
- chestnuts
- blueberries
- gojiberries
- raspberries
- lemon
- tangerine
- elder
- honeylocust
- grapevine
- apricot
- loquat
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 05:31:50 PM by joaovox »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 27, 2014, 06:12:28 PM »
Hi Joćo! Nice to see you here!  ;D

Redrockluv

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 27, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
Hello,
My name is Lilliana, but my friends call me...Lilly or L.   I have been reading this forum for a while and thought it was time to join in.  I don't have the opportunity to grow much tropical fruit, but I am proficient at devouring it!!  I would love to learn more about the best tropical fruit in my area, and become more knowledgable about this topic in general.  I come from a big family of tropical fruit lovers & growers; I was born in Cuba.....I guess it's in the genes!  I have a small business dealing in vintage & antique jewelry, I am married and I am Mom. I live in Broward County and hope to bring something to the forum.  Even if only my enthusiasm.  Happy & Healthy growing to all!!
L.   :)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #923 on: March 28, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
Hi, Lilly and all the new members that I haven't said hello to after posts in this introductory thread.  Glad to have all of you join in the fun.  I would like to remind all of our new members that they are welcome to plan a stop over to my yard for a visit when in the area.  Best to come in the summer mango/lychee season but anytime is fine with prior arrangement.  I always enjoy sharing whatever fruits I have available with folks that can appreciate the fruits of this hobby's labor.  Again....welcome!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 28, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »
Greetings, Lilly!

I too am VASTLY more proficient at consuming tropical fruit than growing it  ;D ;D