Author Topic: Canteloupe (Galia melon ) problems  (Read 1162 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Canteloupe (Galia melon ) problems
« on: August 11, 2020, 12:51:20 AM »
My melon plants have deformed and stunted growth . The leaves also have some discoloration to them. Thanks for any tips !!

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Canteloupe (Galia melon ) problems
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 02:01:47 AM »
It appears to be Tobacco Mosaic Virus.
It infects a number of different genus.

Harvest all infected material and remove from the property.

Burning does NOT kill this viroid. It's often spread by cigarette ashes.

Avoid planting susceptible crops for the next few years. Primarily infects Solanum, but also infects Cucurbitaceae, Cannabaceae, and other common garden plants.

It's quite the issue once it appears, hopefully you can clean house and grow other crops for a few years until it subsides.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 11:49:16 PM »

Avoid planting susceptible crops for the next few years. Primarily infects Solanum, but also infects Cucurbitaceae, Cannabaceae, and other common garden plants.

It's quite the issue once it appears, hopefully you can clean house and grow other crops for a few years until it subsides.

thanks ,I will remove the plants when I get home, I have two patches of melons, only one has the problem. The others seem to be doing well with no signs ,for now . So u say it spreads by cigarettes ,thats interesting ,the plants are very close to my moms regular smoking place, does it spread from the smoke itself also ??
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:56:12 PM by Plantinyum »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »

thanks ,I will remove the plants when I get home, I have two patches of melons, only one has the problem. The others seem to be doing well with no signs ,for now . So u say it spreads by cigarettes ,thats interesting ,the plants are very close to my moms regular smoking place, does it spread from the smoke itself also ??

The possibility exists due to the presence of the viroid in the smoke. Think of it as ultra-fine ash suspended in a droplet. The ash can contain the infectious virus. I would have her maintain social distance from the garden when smoking. 2 meter or thereabouts. Either way, it's likely to occur again, it's a persistent disease.

I would inspect all the plants closely, as it can be hard to spot at times, but it can still spread quickly.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »
Woll , thanks, especially liked the comment about the social distance ;D, I could only imagine her reaction if I tell her to stay away from my melons  ;D ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk