Author Topic: Black Sapote: So many fruits!  (Read 5052 times)

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Black Sapote: So many fruits!
« on: June 26, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
My black sapote is fruiting for the first time this year. I counted 80 small fruits developing on my tree!
That is a huge number for a small tree.

Mike

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: Black Sapote: So many fruits!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »
Wow Mike, congrats!  How tall/old is your tree, is it grafted, what size pot is it in, does it always stay in the bright window or does it go outside and what type of ferts?  Sorry for the ?s, but that is pretty exciting to see.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
I believe those are still just flowers.  My tree did the same and dropped all but a single developing fruit that is currenly only about 4 cm in diameter.
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:51:50 PM »
Yes they're flowers not fruits. I wouldn't let it make more than a couple of fruits at that size. Probably most will abort, but if they don't you should take them off.
Oscar

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 03:15:32 AM »
Wow Mike, congrats!  How tall/old is your tree, is it grafted, what size pot is it in, does it always stay in the bright window or does it go outside and what type of ferts?  Sorry for the ?s, but that is pretty exciting to see.
My tree is a seedling 4 years old. The pot size is 20lt and the tree size 1.5m It stays all the time ouside with 5 hrs per day sun exposure. As fertilizer I used complesal (12-8-16 + 3MgΟ+B+Fe+Zn ).
Yes they're flowers not fruits. I wouldn't let it make more than a couple of fruits at that size. Probably most will abort, but if they don't you should take them off.
I can wait and see what happens with the fruit set. I also think the most of them will abort.
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »
This week 20 left on the tree :-[
Mike

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:05:52 AM »
I hope the count down ends in a real blast.The trees are not usually productive when young with many flowers not setting. Older trees can have loads of fruit and more than once I have done surprize skiing on fallen fruit beneath a tree.   

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Mike that is a new type of skiing! 8). I wish I could do that
At the moment I pray can taste at least one fruit in the season.
Mike

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
I hope the count down ends in a real blast.The trees are not usually productive when young with many flowers not setting. Older trees can have loads of fruit and more than once I have done surprize skiing on fallen fruit beneath a tree.
skiing on fallen fruit beneath a tree, thats why I cut mine down, no traction on the lawn mower. They are a messy tree when mature.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:46:15 PM »
skiing on fallen fruit beneath a tree, thats why I cut mine down, no traction on the lawn mower. They are a messy tree when mature.

Messy around tree only if you don't eat them! Same can be said of any fruit tree...even the beloved mango! Not a problem around here!!
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:07 PM »

Messy around tree only if you don't eat them! Same can be said of any fruit tree...even the beloved mango! Not a problem around here!!

Yep, they've cut down a number of old KPs in public places here as folks slip under them lots. They are too high for most lay folk to pick the fruit (those without good fruit picking extension poles) and the fruit are inevitably attacked by bats before droppin to the ground infested with black sodier fly larvae, which turn the ramains into a rich goo in hours.

Also, I had some truly horrible Black Sapotes yesterday from Tropical Fruit World. I purposely picked rounder 'Bernicker' style fruit as they are usually moister and sweeter than the star-shaped 'Maher' types. But these were dry, fibrous and lacking any sweetness. Tasted like dirt. Now I know why some have such low opinions of the fruit. I've eaten hundres of them and this was the first I've had that was truly that bad though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 08:58:33 PM by BMc »

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »
This week 2 fruits left!
Mike

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile