Author Topic: How do you prevent cherimoya seedlings from damping off?  (Read 921 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
How do you prevent cherimoya seedlings from damping off?
« on: December 04, 2019, 10:05:26 PM »
Lost most of my seedlings to this last year. Is there a particular technique I should be using to prevent this?

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: How do you prevent cherimoya seedlings from damping off?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:36:22 PM »
First thought is your soil composition may hold too much water causing an environment for pathogens to multiply and affect the roots, maybe try mixing in some perlite, gravel, or sand in so water can freely drain easier.

Hope that helps,

-Joep450

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 06:00:12 AM »
I start all seeds in a finished biodynamic compost that holds water like a sponge without any problems.  I do not let the pot sit in standing water.  Perhaps a worm casting tea drench or a humus tea drench or lactobacillus drench or combination before planting or with first sign of pathogen would get the biology into your dirt that can combat fungal pathogen issues. Also as always less is more when using any input so a watered down tea might be best.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:46:32 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »
Raise temperature of soil and air with heating mats or similar--- most fungi thrive at temperatures in the 70's or 60's.

Soil with good drainage / air penetration.

Beneficial soil organisms.

Good mineral nutrition of the seed-producing tree, and of the soil seed is planted in.

Sprays with minerals, including Silicon, and beneficial live organisms.

Conventional systemic fungicide as Plan B / Backup plan; example: Alliette.  When you see something going seriously wrong, don't just humm a mantra while you watch them die.
Har

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 03:58:10 PM »
Damping off is caused by quite a few fungal species that thrive in the absence of beneficial soil organisms that may control them,an excess of water retained in potting mix and even perhaps a lack of sunlight and aeration. Well drained potting mix either sterilised by heat or with healthy populations of beneficial organism would help.Very dilute copper oxychloride or equivalent fungicide through the potting mix would also probably help.Some species are very prone to it like chempadaks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk