Author Topic: ID Please: Fruit, Nut, Weed?  (Read 2239 times)

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
ID Please: Fruit, Nut, Weed?
« on: December 30, 2019, 04:55:59 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help me ID this fruit or nut?  I found two seedlings growing years ago in a one gallon pot in my yard, but don't really recall if it's something I planted or something that the squirrels might have help plant.

It's been years now, in a 5 gallon pot rooted to the ground, with complete neglect and occasional pruning, just in case I actually planted it. The fruit itself has no aroma.  I haven't opened or tasted it yet, but seems to have a really large seed.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Norm

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: ID Please: Fruit, Nut, Weed?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 05:51:44 PM »
Could be coffee?

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
I saw the fruit and thought Hog Plum (mombin).
The leaves though are not familiar and by now hog plum should have lost its leaves for the winter.

I am sure there are other fruits that look like that, perhaps someone will identify definitively.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 06:04:12 PM »
-SeaWalnut, coffee is an interesting one that I didn't think of, but I kinda see the resemblance.  It's about 5 or 6x the size of a coffee berry, which I do grow.

-Orkine, I was thinking of some sort of Mexican Jocote, which matches your Hog Plum observation.

Thank you both for suggestions and clues.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:12:43 PM »
I cut the it open and a big seed, as expected, but was surprised to see it juicy.  It's also relatively thick skinned.  I tasted it with the tip of my tongue and it was pleasantly acidic.  Not sour like a lemon and not sweet per se.

Here's a picture of it cut open, if that helps at all.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 02:11:22 AM »
Is that growing in southern California? The leaves don't match any of the fruits guessed so far.
Oscar

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »
Oscar, yes, it's growing in Southern California.  One other thing to note, is that the leaves stay mostly evergreen.  Even in winter, with occasional frost, the tree is never bare.

I also considered and looked in the walnut family, but after seeing the ripened fruit for the first time, I'm thinking it's not a nut?  Last year it fruited for the first time, but I didn't realize that until I was pruning the branches and saw green fruit.  Walnut leaves also seem much smaller and thinner, but similar shape.

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 09:19:42 PM »
Couldn't it be some type of Davidsonia?
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 09:34:28 PM »
I cut the it open and a big seed, as expected, but was surprised to see it juicy.  It's also relatively thick skinned.  I tasted it with the tip of my tongue and it was pleasantly acidic.  Not sour like a lemon and not sweet per se.

There is no way to be even closedly related to walnuts or anything in that genus.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 02:26:03 PM »

There is no way to be even closedly related to walnuts or anything in that genus.

I guess when I was considering it to be a nut, i had not yet seen the change in the color of the fruit.  I found some pictures back in October 2016, where it seemed to have flowered and had green fruit.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
Couldn't it be some type of Davidsonia?
It does have that upright look, where the fruit hang lower and the leaves are higher up, but that may be coincidental?

If this helps, here is what the seed looks like.  There's very little flesh/pulp and mostly seed.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 12:35:42 AM »
No idea what that is, but i'm guessing it's not an edible fruit. Maybe an ornamental? You might want to try to post these photos on your local chapter of CRFG. They're more likely to know what that is.
Oscar

bsabantam

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 02:51:59 AM »
Looks like a Kaffir Plum (Harpephyllum caffrum)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 02:57:27 AM »
Kaffir plums are fruiting around this time in Socal. So it may very well be one, would have to get nice shots of the leaves and compare fruit and seed closely. Careful with eating unless certain.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 12:51:28 PM »
I have tasted this plum before and it is edible and forgot the name of the plum.  It grows like weed in San Diego.

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2020, 01:43:04 PM »
Kaffir Plum, I had never heard of it until now.  This seems to be the closest so far.  The description of the fruit sounds very similar, based on the small taste at the tip of my tongue.  What concerns me is the possible invasiveness of the roots and how big they can really get, as they seem to be used as wind blocks and shade.  I may need to consider cutting it down, if this is truly the fruit.

I took new pictures of the leaves, front and back and compared it to an image from Daleys Fruit Nursery in Australia, shown below.  Where the leaf meets the stem is reddish on the Daleys image and not on mine.  Could be due to variation?

According to the Specialty produce site:  "An odd red leaf may be scattered throughout the foliage, which is key to its identification", which does appear in my leaf image.
https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Kaffir_Plum_11275.php

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:52:52 PM by eNorm »

eNorm

• So. California
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2020, 01:45:04 PM »
Here's an image of the fruit next to the seed.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:53:36 PM by eNorm »