Author Topic: Breeding Projects  (Read 5342 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Breeding Projects
« on: September 05, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »
I am curious as to people's experiences here with breeding projects of any kind related to edible fruits.  I am currently working on stabilizing crosses of heirloom winter squash (technically a fruit) and next year will embark on breeding "winter melons" (both things are summer grown and store well thus eaten in the winter).  Curious as to if folks have participated in any breeding.

Breeding things with long times to fruit could be mission impossible to reach stability but hey...who is to say someone isn't trying.  One of my winter squash selections may take 10 years, maybe longer, to stabalize (as I test them for storage capability that could be up to two years and replant seed from the fruits which make it AND taste good).

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Projects
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
You may not get anything stable enough to market to seed companies for 10 years (but who cares? They won't pay you much anyway). But you could get something good in your second year that your family willbe able to enjoy for several years even before public distribution. So go for it! I am going to breed some annual edibles as well, although I am in the early stages.

The nice thing about fruit tree breeding is you can clone once you get something good.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:46:04 AM »
Future,

I wanted to get into breeding, was going to try breeding some Opuntia sp. Also wanted to breed some overlooked veggies with potential, oca (Oxalis tuberosa), black salsify (Scorzonera hispanica)
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
You may not get anything stable enough to market to seed companies for 10 years (but who cares? They won't pay you much anyway). But you could get something good in your second year that your family willbe able to enjoy for several years even before public distribution. So go for it! I am going to breed some annual edibles as well, although I am in the early stages.

The nice thing about fruit tree breeding is you can clone once you get something good.

What annuals do ou have in mind?  I am also adding tomatoes and potatoes to the mix.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »
Future,

I wanted to get into breeding, was going to try breeding some Opuntia sp. Also wanted to breed some overlooked veggies with potential, oca (Oxalis tuberosa), black salsify (Scorzonera hispanica)

Oca produces seed?

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »
I got a variety of seeds from this place this year: http://www.evergreenseeds.com/

Luffa, long bean, asian varieties of squash and cucumber, and tender amaranth. No powdery mildew yet, fingers crossed. Our planting season started last month so I don't have any produce yet. I'll save seeds from varieties I like and proceed from there.

For the winter crops I got a bunch of leafy greens that are supposed to be resistant to tropical heat.

I am growing some tomatoes from seed, but I should get a mister/mini-greenhouse frame to succeed at that. I'll probably end up buying plants from Jason (from Pepe's) to supplement my seedlings' low survival rate.

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
I'm not doing a breeding project, but for winter squash (in Florida) I ran into an old breed Seminole Pumpkin.  I ran into it doing some research and started my hunt.  I found two starter plants at a local garden show in September '11.  One quickly died being in the shade and maybe a little less water.  The other one planted six feet away is still growing 12 months later.  In the time, it has produced two 14-16 pound pumpkins and three 8-10 pound pumpkins.  One pound converts roughly to one cup cooked.  I was about to pull the vine out as it takes up over 20 square feet of space, except I found two more of the smaller pumpkins and one that looks like it will become the larger.  Further inspection shows at least 2 more female flowers.

The best thing is that I rediscovered (as pointed out by research) that these pumpkins will last at least five months once picked.  Then you freeze the remainder once cooked, even more time.  We've been eating roast pumpkin, pumpkin/ potato mash, pumpkin bread, and even pumpkin cookies regularly since January.

Here's a link to an article on Seminole Pumpkins
http://www.eattheweeds.com/cucurbita-muschata-seminole-edible-2/

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »
I'm not doing a breeding project, but for winter squash (in Florida) I ran into an old breed Seminole Pumpkin.  I ran into it doing some research and started my hunt.  I found two starter plants at a local garden show in September '11.  One quickly died being in the shade and maybe a little less water.  The other one planted six feet away is still growing 12 months later.  In the time, it has produced two 14-16 pound pumpkins and three 8-10 pound pumpkins.  One pound converts roughly to one cup cooked.  I was about to pull the vine out as it takes up over 20 square feet of space, except I found two more of the smaller pumpkins and one that looks like it will become the larger.  Further inspection shows at least 2 more female flowers.

The best thing is that I rediscovered (as pointed out by research) that these pumpkins will last at least five months once picked.  Then you freeze the remainder once cooked, even more time.  We've been eating roast pumpkin, pumpkin/ potato mash, pumpkin bread, and even pumpkin cookies regularly since January.

Welcome Marcos.  That sounds large for a Seminole.  Can you post a picture?  the Seminole I have is said to last up to 2 years.  Very hard shells but small fruit, less than 5 lbs.

Ps I am a fiend for seeds, especially winter squash and tomato, so we need to arrange a trade if u r game  :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
Future,

Oca produces seed?

From what I have read and looked up, yeah it does. Its a shy bearer of flowers, but it does produce them. More varieties the better, I would want to focus on getting a day neutral variety.

http://oca-testbed.blogspot.com/search/label/Oca%20flowers

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:39 PM »

The article you post also states 3 lb so I am curious as to what you actually have.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 12:35:23 PM »
Future,

Oca produces seed?

From what I have read and looked up, yeah it does. Its a shy bearer of flowers, but it does produce them. More varieties the better, I would want to focus on getting a day neutral variety.

http://oca-testbed.blogspot.com/search/label/Oca%20flowers

You have seed or a source?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 04:58:54 PM »
More of a tuber source, sacredsucculents.com. If I get decent division of tubers, I can share some in the winter time.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
Thanks for the offer but I can't import tubers....just seeds.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 07:10:03 PM »
I keep thinking your in FL. Well if I get some seeds I will be sure to tell you.

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
I thought I took pictures of my first large pumpkin but realizing I did not.  Here's a small one on the vine.  The larger one is much harder to get to in that I would need to move the vines and I hear that can be a bad idea.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
Future- have you tried ECHO in Fort Meyers for seeds? I am going to visit next Saturday. So excited!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »
Hw

Future- have you tried ECHO in Fort Meyers for seeds? I am going to visit next Saturday. So excited!

Actually I did!  I was there for a conference and had some time to killed and stumbled across their location details searching for fruit places nearby.  Ironically I had ordered seed from them years ago.  Great place with lots of demo/trial setups including even a urban gardening one fertilized by.....pee.  No kidding.

While I was there jabos where fruiting right in the entrance we enjoyed them even though I never got a seed to germinate when I returned home.  There were just like muscadine grapes so....what is the point of growing them again?

I would revisit echo again for sure.