Author Topic: cherry-like fruits  (Read 16053 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: cherry-like fruits
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 02:21:04 AM »
u r right Oscar...his has red flowers with pink i believe...or just red.

like i'm saying...the fruits were super tasty, and sweet.  everyone who ate them liked them, but skins are tart/tannic.

I don't think they are too hard to control as far as being invasive...they take some years to fruit, and are slower growing I think.

I believe the real problem is because of how this tree roots itself by ground layering, and will take over a field if allowed to walk around.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:10 AM »
Save me some seeds. Would love to get a look alike that actually tastes good.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 02:28:16 AM »
Consider it done Oscar
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
Adam,
I do have E. involucrata and E. brasiliensis from "random" seeds. They are probably a few years away from fruiting. Having a grafted variety would be super. Thanks for the offer. I will have something for you to trade.

Joshua_TX,
I missed your post about Capulin cherry. I have never heard about that fruit before. Thanks for the tip.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:23 AM »
This discussion here is a prime example of why I always encourage a person to try a fruit if possible before wasting a lot of time and money on growing it. I have bought a lot of plants and then gave them away after they fruited because they didn't live up to the description that made me buy it in the first place. I have tried all the named varieties of acerola and numerous seedling. They all tasted the same. It is a very pretty plant grow. Has very attractive foliage and blooms. I think that a really good Grumichama is way better. But if you have the room and time you should grow a couple plants of everything! Ha ha

Ed

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
oh ya I forgot, but Hopkins has a grumixama that's superior to most, but they don't propagate it.  I will have to get a cutting and start for them.  lol.

I've eaten grumixama from 3 separate trees bought from Hopkins, and 1 is very nice, while the other 2 are bland. 
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »
How about Prunus salicifolia - the Capulin cherry?  It actually IS a cherry, a subtropical one native to Mexico and does not seem to need any chill hours.

never had one, or seen one growing in FL...makes me wonder if they will grow here.  or if it's like the whole cherimoya deal?

no tropical fruit nurseries ive been to in FL sell any improve prunus sp either.

Joshua,  I think this may be worth trying! and a perfect suggestion for Tomas's question.

I'm interested in a plant if u know where to find one.  Bens Plants of CA, didn't have any grafted ones, and be was the only source I knew of.

Capulin , grows ok , not great fruiting at my elevation and the birds love it , it does a lot better with some cold . Had one fruiting in the beginning of my fruit collecting period , was removed since the bird were faster than me . Now that I have a lot more choice for the birds I am planting a new one the plant is a few years old already so I'll have fruits fast.

Eugenia candoleana : Some people say it is more like a plum but I think this is the closest to a good dark cold climate cherry. I also have the impression that the Rio Grande does better in a colder area , Candolleana is better for south Florida ( I could be wrong ...? ) I did have some great tasting Eugenia pitanga , the dwarf , but still far away from a good Bing .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »
thanks for the update Luc!

Now I'm really eager to get some fruits on my seedling Eugenia pitangas.  I knew this one would be god to collect for some reason!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »
I found some something interesting about growing regular cherry in subtropical climate:

"Cherry is (Prunus avium L.) known as a high chilling requiring species, suitable to continental climates. However, scientists and growers are recently looking for the opportunities of growing cherries at subtropical and tropical areas. For this aim, studies were carried out at the University of Cukurova, Department of Horticulture, since 1990. In the experiments, besides the performances of cherry cultivars, chilling requirements were also calculated. Cristobalina, Temprano de Sot, Precoce de Bernard, Sunburst, Lapins, Chelan and Na-1 are the promising cherry cultivars, suitable to subtropical conditions."

That's all the info I could get. I cannot access the full document "CHERRY (PRUNUS AVIUM L.) GROWING UNDER SUBTROPICAL CONDITIONS" by  A.B. Küden and A. Küden

Tomas

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

Now I'm really eager to get some fruits on my seedling Eugenia pitangas.  I knew this one would be god to collect for some reason!

Adam they may fruit after one year planted from seed , for sure the second , full sun , I noticed when watering a lot when in fruit , the taste is not so good . Also like most eugenias when the fruit releases by touching , not pulling , that's when they are ripe , but I am sure you knew that .
Fruits get to be close to one inch.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

MarkoS

• Stuart, FL Zone 9B
    • USA, Florida, Stuart, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Anyone tried a goumi (Elaeagnus multiflora)?  The fruit  looks very much like a cherry but I hear that they taste like either rhubarb or slightly sour cherries.  Supposedly a nitrogen fixing plant, which for me might be a double play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elaeagnus_multiflora
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:29:40 PM by MarkoS »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
thanks for info luc,

I finally figure that out about pitangas, let them fall, do not pull them off early.

but it's nice to have a reminder, I pick all my fruits to early.

Adam they may fruit after one year planted from seed , for sure the second , full sun , I noticed when watering a lot when in fruit , the taste is not so good . Also like most eugenias when the fruit releases by touching , not pulling , that's when they are ripe , but I am sure you knew that .
Fruits get to be close to one inch.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 05:56:11 PM »
Anyone tried a goumi (Elaeagnus multiflora)?  The fruit  looks very much like a cherry but I hear that they taste like either rhubarb or slightly sour cherries.  Supposedly a nitrogen fixing plant, which for me might be a double play.

Yes, I'm growing two varieties of goumi; the fruit is more oblong than a cherry and about 1/4 the size of a pie cherry; I'm not great at describing flavors but to me they taste more like a plum with some rhubarb overtones than they do sour cherries.  It is a nitrogen fixing plant and is quite hardy (to -25F)-- I have them planted in the ground here.  I don't know if they have chill requirements; Oscar is currently running an experiment with some cuttings off my bushes and we'll see if they bloom for him by next April.  So-Shang (Elaeagnus latifolia) is very closely related and may have a similar flavor, with fruits 4-6x larger than goumi, and no obvious chill requirements.

Goumi fruit are deceptive in that they turn red and look ripe but will still be astringent; if you wait another 3-4 days after they turn red they get much more plump and lose the astringency.  This is usually about 1 day after the birds have eaten every fruit from the bush-- I can't blame them, I like the flavor too!

Kevin

Waiting

• Northern San Joaquin Valley, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »
Royal Lee and Minnie Royal from Dave Wilson Nursery only need 200-300 chill hours. That's doable in the upper part of Florida.

gary

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »
Minnie Royal and Royal Lee are believed to fruit with less than 300 chill hours, perhaps much less. Worth it to give it a shot if you really like cherries.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 11:13:50 PM »
Royal Lee and Minnie Royal from Dave Wilson Nursery only need 200-300 chill hours. That's doable in the upper part of Florida.

gary

Harry has both the Royal Lee and the Minnie Royal growing in Davie. They haven't flowered yet though. Maybe next year.

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »

gary

Harry has both the Royal Lee and the Minnie Royal growing in Davie. They haven't flowered yet though. Maybe next year.

Any idea how one might get these Cherry varieties from Dave Wilson Nursery seeing as they don't sell individual trees? They have a list of nurseries that sell their trees retail, but none here in Florida.

Jaime

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »
Any idea how one might get these Cherry varieties from Dave Wilson Nursery seeing as they don't sell individual trees? They have a list of nurseries that sell their trees retail, but none here in Florida.

Jaime

Mail order. A ton of nurseries will ship them to FL. That is how Harry, Patrick, and I got ours. I have a Royal Lee in a 7g that I would be willing to sell or trade to you if you're interested.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 12:28:58 AM »
Jaime,

I got mine from

Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply | GrowOrganic.com · P.O. Box 2209 (mail) · 125 Clydesdale Ct (ship) · Grass Valley, California 95945   

Thanks,

Ed

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 01:50:58 AM »

Yes, I'm growing two varieties of goumi; the fruit is more oblong than a cherry and about 1/4 the size of a pie cherry; I'm not great at describing flavors but to me they taste more like a plum with some rhubarb overtones than they do sour cherries.  It is a nitrogen fixing plant and is quite hardy (to -25F)-- I have them planted in the ground here.  I don't know if they have chill requirements; Oscar is currently running an experiment with some cuttings off my bushes and we'll see if they bloom for him by next April.  So-Shang (Elaeagnus latifolia) is very closely related and may have a similar flavor, with fruits 4-6x larger than goumi, and no obvious chill requirements.

Goumi fruit are deceptive in that they turn red and look ripe but will still be astringent; if you wait another 3-4 days after they turn red they get much more plump and lose the astringency.  This is usually about 1 day after the birds have eaten every fruit from the bush-- I can't blame them, I like the flavor too!

Kevin

Sounds like goumi and so shan taste very similar. The so shan taste just like a tart plum. I've become very fond of them the more i eat them.
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »

Jaime

Mail order. A ton of nurseries will ship them to FL. That is how Harry, Patrick, and I got ours. I have a Royal Lee in a 7g that I would be willing to sell or trade to you if you're interested.

WHAT?  You want to give up on fruiting cherries here in So. Florida after you convinced me that we could with these new low chill cultivars and made me buy one of each??  I can't beleive it.  I am very upset.  That's it.  That's the last time I will ever listen to any of your hair-brained horticutural ideas. >:(
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2012, 10:30:33 AM »

I know a cedar bay cherry tree about 3m tall that seems to be covered in big sweet fruit much of the time.I visited it today and the city council had erected a sign and had a 'crime scene' style barrier around it.The sign said myrtle rust treatment area (same as guava rust).

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »

I know a cedar bay cherry tree about 3m tall that seems to be covered in big sweet fruit much of the time.I visited it today and the city council had erected a sign and had a 'crime scene' style barrier around it.The sign said myrtle rust treatment area (same as guava rust).

they look cherry like.  nice sized compared to the container grown ones I've been eating.

I find them to be very nice (with berry- banana taste).

what's done to treat the rust?  the tree looks fine to me...but I don't know a thing about rust.

thanks for sharing pic
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
While cedar bay cherries are common along the coast behind the beaches that one is actually from Cedar Bay itself and has large orange fleshed fruit with small seeds.I went to get some of that form and send them on a trip.There was no evidence of treatment that I could see.The tree is 3m wide so I could have gotten lbs of fruit off it if it was not afflicted.
There are restrictions on getting Myrtaceae seeds from places like florida due to the risk of rust but it is here now.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
Hi,

There is a saying here...Cherries don't grow or fruit, if they see the sea ;)

I have two trees in the orchard and they flowered great, though, never did set fruit...a neighbour has a large tree right below me and it flowers like crazy...no fruit set :o it surely does indicates that cherries don't do well in low lands situations :(

Mike, That's a truly impressive Cedar tree 8) Thanks for sharing....mine is still a peep squeak ;D though, it's getting there, someday :)

I tasted my first fruit few months ago :)

Adam, yours tasted different...mine tasted just like Malay/Mountain apple :) The one at the B.T tasted like a berry with a firm texture ;) 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:18:52 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk