Author Topic: Dissappearing Tamarillo  (Read 1204 times)

King

• Northern California zone 9b
    • View Profile
Dissappearing Tamarillo
« on: June 18, 2015, 10:12:43 PM »
I'm having a problem with tamarillos simply disappearing from my tree.  The tree was planted in the ground in February 2014 and has since grown to over 7 feet tall, it finally flowered in the spring of this year and then set fruit.  I live in Northern California near Stockton.  The tree appears healthy and is still growing vigorously.

The problem is that these tiny green fruits are simply disappearing.  I can't even find them when I search under the tree. Out of all the flowers on the tree,I can only see around 6 active fruits.  The only thing I can assume is that some hungry bird or squirrel is eating them.  If the fruit keep disappearing at this rate, then I won't have any in the fall.  Is there anything I can do to make the tree flower again or protect the fruit that is already there? 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Dissappearing Tamarillo
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 01:35:46 AM »
High potassium fertilizer, like  0-0-50, will promote more flowering. You can try bagging flower clusters with mesh bag to protect the fruits. Make sure they get consistent watering during flowering and fruiting, otherwise fruits abort. Is it possible tree is just aborting them and you are not finding underneath in ground cover?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:37:37 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk