Author Topic: going to India for the mango festival. Anyone else?  (Read 2632 times)

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
going to India for the mango festival. Anyone else?
« on: May 09, 2016, 08:03:14 PM »
This will be my first time in India. Doing some research and came across 2 separate dates. Is anyone else going or have gone can give me a reputable site to refer to? Also stoping in Thailand and possibly Vietnam on this trip. Would love any tip on where to get some fruit as well! Thank you!

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
Re: going to India for the mango festival. Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:36:14 AM »
I think it'd be better if you could mention where in India you would be visiting.  There are quite a few members here from India.

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 09:43:55 AM »
Well.... The international mango festival is in New Delhi. So that's first. From there I'm not too sure where in India to head. Somewhere tropical and rural would be ideal. I have about 7 weeks in total. 3 in India and 4 in Thailand.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
This will be my first time in India. Doing some research and came across 2 separate dates. Is anyone else going or have gone can give me a reputable site to refer to? Also stoping in Thailand and possibly Vietnam on this trip. Would love any tip on where to get some fruit as well! Thank you!

Please take plenty of pictures to share!  :)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 01:57:19 PM »
Being at a mango festival will definately introduce you to a lot of Indian varieties but since it is in New Delhi I think mostly those would be varieties grown in Northern India. If you are planning to visit Mumbai, you might get to taste different varieties than those at Delhi. And if you are to visit Mumbai before the monsoons you may have Alphonso which is the most popular among all.
-Nakul

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »
Not sure about he mango festival, but seems like the Western Ghats region has tons of interesting things. Maybe you can do the prep work to make sure you can bring back seeds for yourself and quite possibly at the same time pay for your trip with selling the extras?!  In any case, I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring over there!

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
Most probably the event you plan to attend is organized or has participation of ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research). They have various research units all thru India,  each  unit centered  in specific areas. They have an unit in Goa which is quite good in research. Google and access their site and try to find what would would  interest you

shafak

• India, Chennai 13°N 80°E Köppen: Aw Elevation 6 m (20 ft)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:53 AM »

I called up Dilli Haat, Janakpuri office where this event is supposed to be held (+91 11 2561 2181) .  The person informed me that it's from 24th to 26th June.  Last year, it was held in July, so that's why many websites were listing event dates in July.  He also asked me to wait another week to reconfirm dates.  There might be a possibility of the organizers changing dates. 

Last year's invitation:

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 08:48:37 AM »
Hyderabad and nearby areas have excellent mangoes: Banganapalli/Safeda, Himayat, Benishan; juice mangoes "pedda rasaal" (literally, "large and juicy" - think family size) and "chinna rasaal" ("small and juicy").
Even better, mangoes are at peak quality in May; once the monsoon rains arrive in early June, the quality goes down. Neelam is good through June.
There is also ICRISAT (International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics)
Tourism options in and around the city: Charminar, Salar Jung museum, Golconda Fort, the bazaars in the old city area.
Wherever you go it is mango season in India, so enjoy your trip.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »
Oh man, I would love to visit India, specially during mango season... have not been there yet.
I could give you some advises about Thailand. Where do you want to go? What do you want to see? If you are in Thailand, I highly recommend you visiting the temples in nothern Cambodia, near Siam Reap. You can drive there from TH by bus. It's not the best place in terms of fruit, but it's amazing... ;)

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »

if you are truly on mango trip, go visit Lucknow, more specifically Malihabad. go meet MR. Haji Kaleem Ullah Khan. He is god father of mangoes and has over 500 varieties of mangoes. mangoes will be in season and you will get to taste magoes that are ancient to new hybrids that are not in the market yet. He is a genius.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk