Author Topic: Citsuma Prague  (Read 51641 times)

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Citsuma Prague
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Great to see your pictures.  What is the size of the fruit?

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2019, 03:28:31 PM »
I forgot to measure it but it weighed exactly 70 grams.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2020, 04:55:46 PM »
Here's a picture of the Citsuma Prague I saw in Jim's yard

(in Vancouver, WA, right across the bridge from Portland)

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2020, 03:53:49 PM »
Thank you Socal, for posting that image of my tree. 
I harvested the fruit on that in mid-November.  About 6 lbs.  They range in size from sub-ping-pong ball to medium size Satsuma.  The flavor is good, but rather sour.  Ripeness varies considerably.  The ripest ones have 'squishy' peels and peel rather easily, though not so easily as Satsumas.  Since snow flurries are occurring, I think I'll stay indoors and use the time to do a Brix and Acid level reading this afternoon, using the smaller ones.

I apologize for the blurriness of the image, but I ain't no photographer.  The fruit above the ruler are some of the Citsumas; I've eaten the largest few, and juiced a few others for a Chinese dish.  The three fruit on the bottom of the image are typical LA Early Satsumas, to provide scale, along with the blurry ruler.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2020, 09:29:34 PM »
It’s nice to know someone in the USA has citsuma Prague. Maybe it can become easier to come by.

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2020, 09:04:57 AM »
Thank you Socal, for posting that image of my tree. 
I harvested the fruit on that in mid-November.  About 6 lbs.  They range in size from sub-ping-pong ball to medium size Satsuma.  The flavor is good, but rather sour.  Ripeness varies considerably.  The ripest ones have 'squishy' peels and peel rather easily, though not so easily as Satsumas.  Since snow flurries are occurring, I think I'll stay indoors and use the time to do a Brix and Acid level reading this afternoon, using the smaller ones.

I apologize for the blurriness of the image, but I ain't no photographer.  The fruit above the ruler are some of the Citsumas; I've eaten the largest few, and juiced a few others for a Chinese dish.  The three fruit on the bottom of the image are typical LA Early Satsumas, to provide scale, along with the blurry ruler.

Thanks for your comparison, Jim! May I ask if your Prague is a regular bearer? Has it ever had trouble fruiting?

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2020, 11:04:25 AM »
Hi Florian

It's bloomed for a couple years, but this is the first year it's set fruit.  Unlike earlier blooms, this year was a very heavy bloom, and it took place over a very long time; Starting on May 5th and ending on June 30th- nearly two months.  All my other citrus typically bloom within a 2-3 week period in mid-May or so, save the Flying Dragon, which blooms in March.  The extended bloom time probably accounts for at least part of the wide variation in size, and also sourness.

Also, the Brix numbers for the Prague Citsuma:

Brix= 11.8  Tartaric Acid= 2.8% and the sugar to acid ratio is 4.2.  This is rather on the sour side, thoug individual fruit are much sweeteer.  This is an average over a number of fruit- some are much sweeter and some are sourer.

For comparison, the Satsumas have sugar to acid ratios of 7.3 and 9.0

This was a rather cool summer; Warmer summers may produce sweeter fruit

Florian

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2020, 03:44:11 PM »
My in-ground Prague sailed through its first winter unscathed. It was a very mild winter with a low of around only -5 C. It has flowered for the first time but not set fruit (which is not surprising).

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »
My Prague Citsuma is a couple weeks into  it's bloom; the second heavy bloom in a row.  Last years bloom set; hopefully this year's will as well.

An interesting mixture of partially formed incomplete blooms and fully formed complete blooms.

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2020, 08:21:54 AM »
this "Chimerer Prage" is very different from mine. Where do the winged petioles come from? The leaves resume some Yuzu or other C.ichagensis hybrid. Very strange!

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2020, 03:28:35 AM »
To follow on Prague and Prague chimera.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2020, 10:14:58 AM »
Has anyone used Prague, as a root stock? 

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
Zitrusgaertner,

That was a good catch.  I hadn't really paid much attention to the petiolesbefore, but this morning I went took a gander at them.  There appears to be a mixture of narrower and wider petioles:

Whether that mixture has always been true, or is just this years fashion statement is indeterminate.  This year, for some reason, most of the leaves fell off; such few older leaves that remain seem to have narrower petioles.  It was a mild winter.

I suspect that the ichandrinlike appearance is a bit of an illusion.  My flying dragon also has relatively wide petioles:

combine that with the fact that  this year the Prague Citsuma has decided to sport long narrow willow-like primary lobes gives it an Ichang-like appearance.

The Prague Citsuma is just plain weird- every year an adventure.  For instance, for many years it had long wicked thorns.  Then last year it apparently decided that thorns were out of style and all new growth was thornless.  This year it appears that thorns are trendy again, along with willowlike leaves.

Millet, I have a rooted cutting than I stuck in the ground to see if survives our long Arctic blasts on it's own roots.  Most citrus don't survive such events on their own roots when the ground freezes solid to a depth of 15 inches after two weeks when the temperature never rises above freezing.  Only Poncirus Trifoliata and its twisted sister Flying Dragon survive without a foot of mulch.   I'll post the outcome after the next Artic Outbreak.  It has easily survived our long wet winters without apparent root rot.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2020, 09:09:19 PM »
Millet, I have a rooted cutting than I stuck in the ground to see if survives our long Arctic blasts on it's own roots.  Most citrus don't survive such events on their own roots when the ground freezes solid to a depth of 15 inches after two weeks when the temperature never rises above freezing.  Only Poncirus Trifoliata and its twisted sister Flying Dragon survive without a foot of mulch.   I'll post the outcome after the next Artic Outbreak.  It has easily survived our long wet winters without apparent root rot.
Well, jim VH, just a correction but as you know I'm two hours north of you and I've had several relatively small seedlings on their own roots that survived through this winter. (hardy citrus varieties that didn't have poncirus in their ancestry)
I'm thinking perhaps you refer to the colder winters that come along once every several years.
Because obviously I don't think I've ever experienced the ground freezing hard down to 15 inches where I am here.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:12:05 PM by SoCal2warm »

jim VH

• Vancouver,Wa. zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »
Socal, if you read what I said, I was referring to long arctic blasts, not the warm winters like the past two.  Those long arctic blasts with temperatures of 10-12F or below come along every three to five years.  The last one was January 2017 in the Portland area, an east wind Columbia gorge event when it hit 8F (-13.3C) in Vancouver and the temperature never rose above freezing for a two week period.  Every citrus on own roots  or rootstocks other than PT or FD died in that event, with the exception of a Citrangequat which had the equivalent of a foot of mulch.  The Puget Sound area  was warmer during that event, as I recall

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2021, 06:08:39 PM »
Hello, bumping this old thread I just acquired one from Stan, it's grafted onto trifoliate. I am in 7a in north east NJ. Possible minimum 0 °F (−17.8 °C) to 5 °F (−15 °C) although not in recent memory have I seen those temps on the thermometer. Would it be better off on its own roots in ground incase of dieback of the graft? I am going to let it grow out more, air layer, graft another etc, before I risk my only plant in the ground.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2021, 10:21:00 PM »
Good idea, vnomenee. You are better off with the grafted one on trifoliata since it is mature wood on hardy rootstock so it can be kept short enough to cover when it gets in single digits or below freezing for a week at a time. Your specimen on its own roots will eventually freeze to the ground and if it comes back, it will take years to reach maturity and will probably just keep dying back every year or every other year and never make a fruit. That is, unless this variety is really hardier than other hybrids. I need to ask Stan if I can get one from him and see if it can survive my mountain top wind tunnel. I’d end up protecting it though like everything else. I’m a sucker. I hate seeing them freeze to death.

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »
Thanks Citradia. Covering it at a smaller size on the rootstock would be a good idea. I ordered the plant two weeks ago, he might still have some in stock! I didn't take a picture when I took it out of the box but the last two weeks it put out a new side branch and new growth at the top so it's definitely growing. A blog I read had a report of survival at 1°F (-17°C) but not much else in regard to location and duration of the freeze. I will definitely try it on its own roots when it gets large enough to take some branches for that sort of experiment

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2021, 10:47:44 PM »
Covering it isn't to hard if you keep the tree small.  Fukushu kumquat on own roots

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2021, 05:53:06 AM »
Hello vnomonee,
i think all advices and suggestions made are right. I got my Prague in summer 2020 as small plant,planted in ground and protected passiv with cocomats, see also my post, and it survived for our conditions a hard winter with freeze temperatures for four frost days with -11 to - 16 degrees as young plant, with nearly no damage.
So I would recommend still one year in pot or planting in ground and very good winter protection and no fertilizer later than August.
RegardsFrank

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2021, 09:59:21 AM »
My trees seem to put on most of their growth starting in September through February.  This problem eliminated the advantage of growing cold hardy citrus to be safe from a greenhouse heating failure where I would lose the fruit but not the tree.  I have now started fertilizing when growth starts in early  fall.  I would no recommend late feeding If your trees settle down late summer

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2022, 12:45:48 PM »
Mine is in the ground this year, it bushed out a little and grew a new central leader. Hoping it will be hardy, it's surrounded by an evergreen shrub in an L shape so area is pretty sheltered. House is right beside it. Plant in the back is maypop and there are strawberries in this bed. Don't know if I should remove the strawberry and maypop.

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2022, 09:38:51 AM »
I am sure this has been asked but I did not want to go through the 250 comments to find the answer. Where can you buy the Citsuma Prague? 

Unicycle Mike

Peep

• Belgium, Antwerp - 8a/8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2022, 04:13:50 PM »
I am sure this has been asked but I did not want to go through the 250 comments to find the answer. Where can you buy the Citsuma Prague? 

Unicycle Mike

Maybe also tell us where you're located. I don't know if "Red Lion" is a place, or where it would be :p

Unicyclemike

• Red Lion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2022, 04:32:50 PM »
South Central Pennsylvania