Author Topic: Black cherry and other wild cherry  (Read 1497 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Black cherry and other wild cherry
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »
Anyone have wild cherry growing? Wouldn't mind getting some seeds or seedlings from black cherry or pin cherry. Maybe even choke cherry. Will trade/pay shipping or whatever.

Thanks! DG
Trying to grow it all!

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Black cherry and other wild cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
I do have wild cherries and also wild black cherries - last ones have an excellent taste. If you are interested, I would be able to drive to my fruit property in the next 3-4 weeks, which is a few kilometers away and collect seeds (cherry stones).
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
Have 6 Prunus serotina trees. These old black cherry trees are about 70' tall. After looking at your needs I just checked those trees and they are full of fruits. Have never tasted them! CAUTION. The seeds and the leaves contain a toxin which is converted into cyanide. So farmers do not like it. The seeds are hard and thick and needs scarification before planting. In Nature this process is carried out by the birds ingesting this seed which passes through the gut and the dispersed seeds are thus scarified. Older trees have super quality wood highly sought for cabinetry. Sun loving plant and these trees were there when we bought the property over 40 years ago to build our home. If you still need the seeds I will gladly send it to you free of cost to you. PM me. Triphal

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:22 PM »
Thanks for the offer! I have found seeds already though. Perhaps if in the future I want some more I'll hit you up.
Trying to grow it all!

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 02:56:49 PM »
We have 14 of those trees on our residential property line and not 6 trees.