Author Topic: Citrus seed germination beginning in 6 days  (Read 4257 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Citrus seed germination beginning in 6 days
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:15:12 PM »
Here is the first indication of 27 TaiTri seeds beginning to germinate on day 6 inside a repurposed poultry egg incubator. The auxiliary thermostat is set at 86 deg. F., the seeds were disinfected and the seed coats were removed prior to planting. Disinfection and seed coat removal decrease the likelihood of there being albino seedlings.
This setup should use very little energy.

First seed close to emergence

Replacement thermostat used, original thermostat removed. Setpoint 86 deg. F.

Retired incubator repurposed as seed germination mini-chamber.

Roots have also begun development.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:24:09 PM by kumin »

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus seed germination beginning in 6 days
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:00:32 PM »
I have had excellent and quick germination with Taitri too. I used the baggy method with perlite and put it on a radiator. No albinos so far.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
I've had plenty of albinos from Taitri seeds.  Percentage isn't very high, but when you plant 500 seeds, expect some albinos.
I've had some albinos in every interspecific citrus cross I've germinated.  US 852, Taitri, (Clem x Tri) x Clem, Meyer lemon.  It didn't surprise me.  I've had albinos from many interspecific hybrids over the years.  Sorghum x S. halapensis, Phasiolus vulgarus x Ph. coccinieus. 

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »
Here is the first indication of 27 TaiTri seeds beginning to germinate on day 6 inside a repurposed poultry egg incubator. The auxiliary thermostat is set at 86 deg. F., the seeds were disinfected and the seed coats were removed prior to planting. Disinfection and seed coat removal decrease the likelihood of  there being albino seedlings.

I wouldn't expect such treatment to reduce percent albinos.  I think the albinos are due to genetics.  Am I wrong?  I know that with Sorghum and Phasiiolus, where I was keeping seeds from each plant seperate in each generatioin, some of the siblings of albinos gave albinos.  I followed this for 5 generations, just out of curiosity.
I know that this might not be true of citrus.  I have had to adjust my expectations every time I've changed crops.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 03:48:58 PM »
Albinism in citrus seedlings is mostly due to the infection by Alternaria fungus.
 Treatment with fungicides  greatly reduces the presence of white or mottled seedlings. 
Best regards,
                       Ilya

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:58:40 PM »
Thanks kumin,  I just ordered a thermostat. 

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »
Thanks Ilya.  Still another thing I've learned here.  So does this only on seedlings, or at any time in the life of a citrus tree?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:58:45 PM by Walt »

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »
I would like to hear about any seedlings from Taitri.  Has anyone grown them to maturity?  What is the rang of quality?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 03:42:46 PM »
Walt, my experience has been that once a seedling greens up fully, it should not revert to albinism. I have no TaiTri plants other than these seedlings and no experience with mature plants. I consider TaiTri to be a potential parent for further crosses with any survivors from my trial population. Hopefully next week's projected lows will be the end of this winter's harshest challenges. There are 4 consecutive nightly lows forecast in the single digits/teens. Obviously the plants are going to face these temperatures in a weakened state, having had to deal with sub-zero temperatures in the end of January/beginning of February.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:38:06 PM by kumin »

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 07:40:25 AM »
The reason I germinate Citrus seeds at 86 deg F. is that A: 86 degrees is optimal for Citrus B: fungal pathogens favor cooler and wet conditions for their optimal growth. This gives Citrus an advantage over fungal pathogens.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:39:33 PM by kumin »

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
I have been having about 5% albinos on seedlings from all F2 interspecific crosses.  I thought that was just the way it was.  Glad to know I can be getting 5% more seedlings with little extra work.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 05:17:37 AM »
I think sterilising the seed before might help.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 04:20:33 PM »
I'm growing 3 small TaiTri seedlings and 2 N1tri. They're all displaying leaf yellowing, signs of root rot or nutrient deficiency, and do not seem to be growing well. All my other seedlings seem to be growing just fine.

TaiTri seedling

« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 04:26:37 PM by SoCal2warm »

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 04:56:54 PM »
The amount of soil in the cup is quite small and easy to over water.   
I would consider planting in a larger pot with bottom drainage. I suggest using a well balanced light soil which can absorb sufficient water while still retaining air.

A larger quantity of soil would also help to
keep plant nutritional balance.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
A current photo of some of the TaiTri seedlings. These are a mixture of nucellar and zygotic seedlings. By observing the youngest full sized central leaflets one can see most are very narrow and pointed, however, others have rounded central leaflets.

I fertilized these lightly and placed them out in the sun for several hours this week. This helps toughen them up as well as green up the foliage.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:11:13 AM by kumin »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »
and placed them out in the sun for several hours this week. This helps toughen them up as well as green up the foliage.
I agree that placing them out in the sun for temporary periods of time helps toughen them up, since they have become accustomed to growing in indoor conditions.
However, last year I took the seedlings outside in early March and they could not handle the sudden transition. I don't know if it was the full sun exposure or the cold night temperatures. Even fairly cold hardy varieties like Yuzu, Keraji, and Changsha mandarin had their leaves turn yellow or become blotchy white and pale. I am talking about constantly cool/cold temperatures that never went below freezing.
The seedlings grow very well and fast in the special indoor growing conditions I have, but I think they adapt to the artificial lighting, high humidity and constant warmth. Those plant tissues that have grown under those conditions do not seem to handle being outside well.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
SoCal2warm, I agree with you. What I failed to mention is that we had unusually warm weather, hitting 70 degrees yesterday. I very seldom leave them outdoors overnight unless it's very mild. A cold front passed through last evening and I wouldn't consider putting them out today, even though there's brilliant sunshine. I do a lot of moving plants in and out of protection, trying to give them the best conditions available in their first weeks.

My F2 citrange population got special treatment until field planted, but that was the end of their pampering.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:52:38 PM by kumin »

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »
My seedlings are still on the north side of the house, in the shade.  Actually, the south is somewhat diagonal to north, so the seedlings get some late afternoon sun. 
I watch the weather forecast carefully, and take them inside if it will get near freezing.  In the last 2 weeks they have spent 3 nights and one day in the house. 

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 12:08:34 PM »
Walt, at what stage are your seedlings, or are they at a number of stages?

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 03:02:37 AM »
Just this morning I was transplanting some of the seedlings from group pots to seperate pots.  The tallest are about 5" tall, 12 1/2 cm?  The smallest are less than 1 cm.  And in transplanting, I found that several big ones had very small ones coming from the same seed.  So I guess there will be more nucellar seedlings than I thought.  But still I think much less than 1/2 nucellar.  I think.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 05:49:49 AM »
 I have no proof this is correct, but I'm wondering if there may be cultivars that have a dominant zygotic seedling and a weaker nucellar seedling or two in the same seed. Normally the expectation is that the zygotic seedling is smaller and weaker in strongly nucellar cultivars. My thinking is that perhaps in partially nucellar cultivars the reverse may be true, but I have no support for the concept.

This would only apply to germination and shortly thereafter, following germination, vigor should be determined by genetics. Occasionally a seed emerges very vigorously, only to stall and barely grow after germination. I suspect the embryo had ample food reserves, but lacked the proper genetics to grow further vigorously.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:01:50 AM by kumin »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
The zygote embryo, even in stronger nucellar varieties is not necessarily smaller or weaker.  The reason the nucellar embryos can squeeze out the zygote is because they get a head start on the zygote by germinating earlier.