Author Topic: fruits that are most sweet / delicious in their native climate...  (Read 3160 times)

ben mango

• View Profile
marang is one, I've had several fruits from various trees in hawaii and while the flavor is still there the sugary sweetness is lacking compared to ones I've had here in Davao.

I've heard similar for black sapote, more sweet in Mexico,,,

any others you know of? ....

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: fruits that are most sweet / delicious in their native climate...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:12:50 AM »
In their prefered climate 'envelope' fruit do often taste better and usually better in cultivation than in the wild.Hawaiin marangs should not be any less sweet or tasty than those of the same variety on the Philipine islands due to climate.There are so many different selections of marang you would need to test each one in different environmental and maybe soil conditions to see if there is a difference.It could just be a case of trying different varieties and preferring one over the others. 

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:26:10 AM »
Papaya - better in the tropics
Sweet citrus - better in the subtropics
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:14:52 AM »
I still wonder why the marangs grow huge on some spots. And if it is a climate thing i would like to taste a marang grown in Thailand because i have never seen them. There must be a reason for that i guess.

If you want sweet papaya then grow Papaya Holland like the Thai do. It tastes much sweeter then papaya Hawaii which they also sell.

Personally i would like to taste jackfruit grown in other ultra tropical places, there is a huge difference in jackfruit quality and they go from super sweet to bland. From all the country's in Asia that i visited i only ate jackfruit in Thailand because it is so easy to find on the streets. Even in Thailand there is a big difference in sweetness and i still wonder why nobody else here raves about the good jack variety's.

Obet

• Manila,Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
marang is one, I've had several fruits from various trees in hawaii and while the flavor is still there the sugary sweetness is lacking compared to ones I've had here in Davao.

I've heard similar for black sapote, more sweet in Mexico,,,

any others you know of? ....

Ben, you're almost a month there in Davao and you must be enjoying each passing day.You are right in time for the Kadayawan Festival.Have you watched the parade?

Marang is propagated through seeds.I have never heard of a selected hybrid or someone selling grafted trees.There are probably thousands of variations in taste.The marang I have tasted here in Luzon is not that sweet and usually do not weigh beyond a kilo.Southern Philippines ,Borneo Island  and maybe parts of Indonesia are the ideal places for marang.
Robert
Las Pinas City
Philippines

Obet

• Manila,Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
I still wonder why the marangs grow huge on some spots. And if it is a climate thing i would like to taste a marang grown in Thailand because i have never seen them. There must be a reason for that i guess.

If you want sweet papaya then grow Papaya Holland like the Thai do. It tastes much sweeter then papaya Hawaii which they also sell.

Personally i would like to taste jackfruit grown in other ultra tropical places, there is a huge difference in jackfruit quality and they go from super sweet to bland. From all the country's in Asia that i visited i only ate jackfruit in Thailand because it is so easy to find on the streets. Even in Thailand there is a big difference in sweetness and i still wonder why nobody else here raves about the good jack variety's.

I was really surprised when a Thai friend of mine asked me to send him marang seeds.Got me wondering why a marang which is fairly easy to find is nowhere to be found in Thailand.I'm pretty sure it will grow there.Well, I have already sent him seeds and have been received 10 days after I mailed it.The next thing to know is if the seeds are still viable and will germinate.
Robert
Las Pinas City
Philippines

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »

I was really surprised when a Thai friend of mine asked me to send him marang seeds.Got me wondering why a marang which is fairly easy to find is nowhere to be found in Thailand.I'm pretty sure it will grow there.Well, I have already sent him seeds and have been received 10 days after I mailed it.The next thing to know is if the seeds are still viable and will germinate.

Yes for some weird reason you won't find a marang in Thailand, even a chempedak is very hard to find. Maybe the Thai prefer to eat durians and mangosteens and jackfruits. But the good jackfruits (crispy yellow ones) are from the last 5 years, before that they ate the sloppy ones.

Also pulasan is unknown and the abiu grows in all neighbouring country's of Thailand but i have never seen one. There can be grown much more fruit in Thailand but nobody is interested. I think they are happy to grow durian and mangosteen for export overseas.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:53:48 AM »
My favorite
Cherries--- from Western Washington State grown under irrigation. So the air is dry...tends to be dry
Western Washington State also is prime fruit growing area for other fruits. I believe it is volcanic soil from a basalt shield

Columbia River Basalt Group - Wikipedia, the free ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Basalt_Group
Wikipedia
It is found in the U.S. states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, and California. ... 2.1 Transition to flood volcanism; 2.2 Cause of the volcanism; 2.3 Speed of flood ... Prior to 17.5 million years ago, the Western Cascade Stratovolcanoes ..... Bonneville Slide/Bridge of the Gods land bridge · 1700 Cascadia earthquake ...

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
In their prefered climate 'envelope' fruit do often taste better and usually better in cultivation than in the wild.Hawaiin marangs should not be any less sweet or tasty than those of the same variety on the Philipine islands due to climate.There are so many different selections of marang you would need to test each one in different environmental and maybe soil conditions to see if there is a difference.It could just be a case of trying different varieties and preferring one over the others. 

Nope this isn't the case :) ... Don't be a disbeliever until you try for yourself ... Ken Love was the one to tell me marang do not sweeten the same in hawaii as they do in Davao,, i had to go and taste for myself. he's right, every marang I have eaten here, which is probably around 40, have been sweeter than the ones I had in hawaii .. and there are no "hawaiian marangs" the ones i had in hawaii were all from the seed that was brought back from the philippines...

Yes Obet, I enjoyed the Kadayawan festival and parade...

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 12:45:53 PM »

Yes for some weird reason you won't find a marang in Thailand, even a chempedak is very hard to find. Maybe the Thai prefer to eat durians and mangosteens and jackfruits. But the good jackfruits (crispy yellow ones) are from the last 5 years, before that they ate the sloppy ones.

Also pulasan is unknown and the abiu grows in all neighbouring country's of Thailand but i have never seen one. There can be grown much more fruit in Thailand but nobody is interested. I think they are happy to grow durian and mangosteen for export overseas.

pretty sure there are abundant cempedak in thailand... just have to poke around :)

Obet, glad you were able to send friend seeds,, I too wonder how long marang can stay viable for in a bag, i wouldn't expect very long....

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
I must agree that some species grow to their "fullest potential" in their native climates. That isn't to say that it's always a good thing. I can't eat the pineapple in the Philippines because it's like pure sugar, that's saying something since I love candy. I ate a couple bites then stopped. In other cases, I've never tasted a mango as good, I don't know whether it's the strain, soil, or sun, but the ripe mangoes are worth the trip.

I can't speak to Hawaii but to say that it's more windy there. Many ultra tropicals don't appreciate the wind.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 04:50:59 PM »
Papaya - better in the tropics
Sweet citrus - better in the subtropics

Mexican Papaya is definately a Prime example...Taste like crud, no flavor...I  have always hated it!

Until I tryed a Hawaiian Papaya....Godly sweet and delicious!!!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk