Author Topic: Does Star Apple Taste Any Good?  (Read 6554 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Does Star Apple Taste Any Good?
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:33:36 AM »
The texture looks...interesting haha

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Does Star Apple Taste Any Good?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 04:53:30 AM »
Definitely a top tier fruit. Also a very beautiful fruit and tree.
Oscar

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 07:27:00 AM »
 It tastes sweet but the flavor isn’t strong, with a hint of purple grape. Although, you need to know how to eat it to avoid outer skin latex.
Zone Pusher

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
It's a good fruit, but usually an acquired taste for North Americans.
Jeff  :-)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
The Tree is Gorgeous grows huge, the Fruit is kind Jelly type and sweet, but the skin latex is terrible on the Lips.
Carlos

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:18:52 AM »
I tried these on a recent trip to Asia and they were tasty. I recall them being sort of plum like in flavor. What's the trick to eating them to avoid the latex? I'd never seen them before and I puzzled over how to best tackle one. I ended up slicing them in half and eating them sort of like a kiwi using a spoon. That was messy, but worked ok.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
The texture is horrible; it’s sweet and milky. I’ve had some really good green one but overall I would not waste space.....trees is large and it has ornamental value if you like a beautiful fruiting trees.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 11:47:09 AM »
Just tasted the first fruit off my tree (Corrongo) and it was a bit insipid. A little sweetness, with a hint of something similar to grape. It was subtly pleasant. 

Being that this is the first time the tree has flowered and fruited, will withhold judgment for the time being. Want to see how it fares over a few seasons.

Think I will clean and freeze the fruit for smoothies.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
Meh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 06:06:46 PM »
I tried these on a recent trip to Asia and they were tasty. I recall them being sort of plum like in flavor. What's the trick to eating them to avoid the latex? I'd never seen them before and I puzzled over how to best tackle one. I ended up slicing them in half and eating them sort of like a kiwi using a spoon. That was messy, but worked ok.
Very easy to avoid latex. Yes you slice them in half, cross wise, and just scoop out the center. Not messy at all. It's right up there in quality with abiu to which they are a bit similar, and i like them even better than abiu. If you have them straight off the tree they are a real treat. All the sapotaceae fruits have some issues with latex, but with starapple it's a lot less of a problem than say canistel or abiu.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:16:35 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 06:18:03 PM »
Most tropical fruits are an acquired taste for North Americans.
Oscar

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 07:46:00 PM »
I have to agree with Oscar that this is a top tier fruit.  Before I came to Hawaii, I read descriptions of the fruit & it was not on my radar at all to grow.  Once I tried it, I became a big fan.  Flavor is a bit subtle but I am very fond of it.  If you prepare as Oscar describes, the latex is not bad, however if you are scraping to get every last morsel you'll pick up more latex from the skin.  The biggest criticism I have is not of the fruit but of the sellers at market.  At lot of them exercise no care in the handling of their produce and beat the crap out of these.  So it is not uncommon to have a fruit that is getting over-ripe quickly in spots where it has been bruised.

John

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
recently picked up a few from Frankies Nursery in Waimanalo, the taste was bland, the latex was difficult to avoid, texture soft.  Considering ripping out the trees I planted in Thailand if not for the positive reviews on this forum.  Hopefully my tree has better fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 08:39:14 PM »
I had one for the first time in Hawaii recently.  Tasty but not amazing

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 11:06:58 PM »
Yah, except for the ones that are tart or sub-acid.

Most tropical fruits are an acquired taste for North Americans.
Jeff  :-)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2019, 06:18:14 AM »
Many friends in the U.S. have surprisingly enjoyed fruit I have given them. Even carambola, Jackfruit, canistel, sugar apple, sapodilla, and custard apple were met with positive comments and requests for more :-) Surprisingly Jaboticaba was less relished maybe because of the sourish crunchy skins, or the seeds?

I think lowering their expectations a bit goes a long way to them accepting new flavors when first advised not to expect the sweetness of fruits like mango.

As  of now  I have yet to have either of my caimito produce anything but some flowers, but they've only been in the ground 4 years, and one experienced a catastrophic break and is still recovering. I'm looking forward to having some! 
Regards,

Gary

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
Definitely a top tier fruit. Also a very beautiful fruit and tree.

I totally agree. The texture is jelly like, it has no acidity an a milky taste. Of course there is a big variety regarding the fruit quality, but in general it is an excellent fruit. I am growing 4 trees (3 purple, 1 green).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 02:51:53 AM »
I have to agree with Oscar that this is a top tier fruit.  Before I came to Hawaii, I read descriptions of the fruit & it was not on my radar at all to grow.  Once I tried it, I became a big fan.  Flavor is a bit subtle but I am very fond of it.  If you prepare as Oscar describes, the latex is not bad, however if you are scraping to get every last morsel you'll pick up more latex from the skin.  The biggest criticism I have is not of the fruit but of the sellers at market.  At lot of them exercise no care in the handling of their produce and beat the crap out of these.  So it is not uncommon to have a fruit that is getting over-ripe quickly in spots where it has been bruised.

John
It's a bit delicate and needs to be handled carefully. Probably why it will never make it to mainstream supermarkets.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 02:54:26 AM »
Not all trees produce similar end product. There is a lot of variation in quality, and a lot of diversity within the species. It's like expecting all mangoes to taste exactly the same, or judging all mangoes from just one fruit you tasted.
Oscar

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2019, 03:56:19 AM »
Not all trees produce similar end product. There is a lot of variation in quality, and a lot of diversity within the species. It's like expecting all mangoes to taste exactly the same, or judging all mangoes from just one fruit you tasted.

I agree. There tons of variations in varieties in the Philippines since most or all are being grown as seedlings.

I do love caimitos. Texture may be the same for all for caimitos, however, what may differ is the latex (little to none ) & size.

I personally love the right vatiety as for purple ones.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Bill lessard used to have a green one you could suck out the top,so juicy and sweet.I grew it out by seed it grew larger fruit but was not as good.So i like my purple one the best,easy to pick with picking pole easy to see when ripe.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2019, 01:50:04 PM »
I recall Mike T from Aus posting about other color forms (gold, pink, pearl) that they have there that are supposed to be superior to the purples & green.  He & Oscar also talked about a cousin, C. argentium var. auratum, that is supposed to also be a cut above the common caimito.  I haven't tried the auratums yet but have trees in the ground from Oscar & Mike (still a few years to go).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 04:49:51 AM »
I recall Mike T from Aus posting about other color forms (gold, pink, pearl) that they have there that are supposed to be superior to the purples & green.  He & Oscar also talked about a cousin, C. argentium var. auratum, that is supposed to also be a cut above the common caimito.  I haven't tried the auratums yet but have trees in the ground from Oscar & Mike (still a few years to go).
There are many species of chrysophyllum, and i believe they are all edible. The pink is the same as the Chrysophyllum argenteum var. auratum. The pink starapple tree made a lot of fruits this year, over 200. They are sweeter than regular starapple, have longer season, only one seed per fruit, but fruit is a bit smaller than regular starapple.
I mailed seeds to many people, including forum members, a couple weeks ago. Sorry but no more seeds for a couple of months. There is a new crop already on the tree, but fruits are still small.

Oscar

Jungle Yard

• @onlinetropicals
  • 10A, 1.3 mi. from the coast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 07:12:15 AM »
There are many species of chrysophyllum, and i believe they are all edible. The pink is the same as the Chrysophyllum argenteum var. auratum. The pink starapple tree made a lot of fruits this year, over 200. They are sweeter than regular starapple, have longer season, only one seed per fruit, but fruit is a bit smaller than regular starapple.
I mailed seeds to many people, including forum members, a couple weeks ago. Sorry but no more seeds for a couple of months. There is a new crop already on the tree, but fruits are still small.

Oscar, are there more cold tolerant species besides Chrysophyllum cainito? What about auratum?
Zone Pusher

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 11:10:43 AM »
Is that juicy pearl, oscar?