Author Topic: Pumice and rare Avocado scions for Sale  (Read 4601 times)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Pumice and rare Avocado scions for Sale
« on: June 08, 2019, 04:11:34 PM »
Pumice for sale fines up to 1/4 inch in size in bags pure not mixed with anything else its great for health of roots for pots or amending heavy clay soils the cost is 9 dollars per approx 24 pounds worth plus shipping cost, i also have duke,nimlioh, avocado scions for sale at 10 dollars each plus 7 dollar shipping box in lower 48 states.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:19:48 PM by Avoman »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
Re: Pumice and rare Avocado scions for Sale
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
I still have a few Duke avocado scions to sale and plenty of pumice but running low on nimlioh and boony doon scions but will have more of thoses fall and winter 2019 others down the road will be Aravaipa,Edranol,Black johnson.

kingoceanos

• U.S.A. Texas,Conroe 77303 8B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
Please put me on your list for the Black Johnson. Also looking for the Delray and the Puebla.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
I currently do not have has access to Puebla others prob wont have till late fall or winter .

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
Im also willing to trade scions if money is an issue, im in need of Nabal, Queen, Luna,Arizona,Jan Boyce, Carmen.... also adding to my list to sell will be Russel in a year out or so and it will be free of disease not like the risk of diseased scions coming out of Florida.

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »

I have some grafted Ganter avocado trees if you have some grafted endranol or duke to trade :)

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 09:15:37 AM »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 09:21:48 AM »
My grafted dukes are in too large of pots so going to be to costly to ship so im just trying to sell or trade scoins that i would like in my collection

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 09:35:35 AM »
Someone was asking me about dukes the other day, the main advantage about growing them is they take cold temps and also do well in a dry high heat over 100F and for cold prob in the 17 to 22 degree range but dont forget theses temps are for older mature trees so young plants still need plenty of frost protection, another advantage of duke is the skin is thin you can eat the skin and seeds are excellent for rootstock but people that never see temps below 32 degrees it would not be one of my first choices for warm climates there are better tasting varities.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:37:50 AM by Avoman »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 09:54:25 AM »
Oh i forgot Dukes can get very large not good for a small area to grow in..
Duke fruit also does not have to hang on the tree a year or more to mature thats an advantage.
 50 by 50 for a old tree

« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:05:34 AM by Avoman »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 09:06:27 PM »
This picture gives an idea that pumice can hold water as release it when roots need it, it performs better than sand but sand has its benifits also in breaking up clay soils, the pic shows how much water comes out of pumice after placing pumice in the sun (condisation).

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 09:07:40 PM »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
I assume you're growing in a greenhouse?  Would love to see pix of your op.

For smaller trees I highly recommend GEM and Pinkerton.  I've got new grafts that are growing really well. 

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 08:30:16 PM »
My trees can be outside for 5 months out of year come inside house for winter will be planted in cali down the road i have no Gem trees yet but have a contract with brokaw for next year and they will mostly be on Dusa rootstock, but  have plenty grown on seed rootstock.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 10:23:22 AM »
My trees can be outside for 5 months out of year come inside house for winter will be planted in cali down the road i have no Gem trees yet but have a contract with brokaw for next year and they will mostly be on Dusa rootstock, but  have plenty grown on seed rootstock.

Sounds like a helluva plan.  Good luck.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
Ya i just hope Gem is all its cracked up to be , but im sure i,ll have to give it alot more winter protection as alot of mine are cold hardy types,but no mexicola too small of fruit for my personal interest there are much better cold hardy types some most nurserys wont bother to offer or carry. The nice thing about Brokaw propagation is they will do any type you want as long as you write up a contract with them of at least 100 plants  but of couarse it will take a couple years to fullfil the contract.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 06:35:52 PM »
just a quick question, do you have any info on the DelRay avocado? Size of the tree,fruit, minimum temps etc.
Thank you.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »
Im not an expert on Delray but they grow well in selma ca which rarely see temps under 28 to 30 degrees during the winter  if that helps, i do not have a fruiting size tree, so i never tasted fruit yet, selma also gets over 100 degree summers so it can handle high temps as well, i dont think its as cold hardy as duke or arizona avocado tree, prob like a zutano could handle, size of fruit smaller than the new black johnson varity which also does well in central valley ca. climate. I still have Pumice to sell 29 dollars for 25 pounds that includes shipping cost anywhere in lower 48 states. Im finding my kiwis also like a high percent of pumice in potted plants.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
Thank you I appreciate the info. Needless to say I still want the Black Johnson.
F.Y.I. The slimcaddos have started showing up in my local Grocery store. I will start the seeds for grafting, they have worked well so far but are not a cold hardy type.
Still hoping to find some seeds that are salt and cold hardy.
Thanks again

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 03:24:48 PM »
Hi king, you and me both are after seeds, i know nothing about the slimcado is it kind of like a Russel with a super long skinny neck ? Im after 500 zutano seeds if i can find a super cheap source , im also wanting Lula and or Walden seeds out of florida but very hard, bein looking for someone to sell some to me for the last 6 months. My sister found some Reed seeds for me in fresno that she will ship to me thoses i mainly want to try for fast growth, my black johnsons are very small im unlikely to sell any for at least 6 more months sorry to say.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 04:27:37 PM »
It's all good. I wouldn't want you to hurt yours. However if your source has scions or grafted trees they can ship I would happily take some.  ;D
The slimcaddos are $1.79 each at my grocery store, if you get desperate. They are considered a west Indian avocado also called Florida avocado.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 05:23:23 PM »
Let me know how your slimcado seeds perform ive tryed several types some are not good wether slow growth, root rot,cant handle any salt etc.im not too concerned about salt for my planned area but im really after a fast grower and root rot resist is added bonus, cold hardy i dont know since trees will be protected reguardless during any cold snap at least for young trees. There must not be many florida growers that use this site or think shipping seeds a waste of time.

kingoceanos

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
Most of my trees are grafted on the slimcaddo seeds and seem to grow pretty fast, however I really don't have anything to compare them too. I haven't noticed any issues with salt or root rot as long as I keep them in raised beds are pots. I did try hass seeds and they did terribly for me.

Avoman

• Sanger,Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »
The slim sounds like a good seed, just too costly for me to get shipped out of texas, and true about hass i would not use them even though i have a few myself, i would also never use a mexicola again i found it very weak, small and extremely slow growth, my sister likes bacon, i like zutano but have more to try for rootstock.