Author Topic: Mulberries in Hawaii  (Read 2875 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Mulberries in Hawaii
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:56:20 PM »
Just me or noone is commercially growing mulberries in Hawaii.  Is there a good reason for this?  Want to set up mulberries as a hedge and windbreak for 5 acre lot.  I have seen a few mulberry trees but fruit never blackened and was small.  That is not sellable quality.

If have to will bring back my own cuttings from my trees in Thailand, but hopefully get some tips from people here.    Going to see a friends mulberry tree soon, hopefully he had a better strain.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Mulberries in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 02:21:10 AM »
There are no commercial plantings of mulberries in Hawaii. I think it's doable, but not easy. Main reason it's not done is mulberries are very perishable and delicate crop. Also it is very labor intensive to pick and handle them. Labor is very expensive in Hawaii. Also a lot of mulberries will not fruit here, not cold enough for them. There are some types that do well. You would need to experiment a bit with some different cultivars.
Oscar

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 04:02:05 AM »
thanks!  that is what I had hoped were the reasons.  In this case I think my best bet is bringing in cuttings from Thailand from my own trees which are prolific and fast growing as banyan trees and have high quality fruit. 

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »
I recall visiting a guy further up Hamakua coast towards Honoka'a who had a large mulberry tree with a ton of nice large flavorful dark berries.  I have no idea of the cultivar but he said it fruited heavily & reliably.  The birds loved the fruit but he said he got enough to share with them. 

Your tree from Thailand would be a good candidate but, as Oscar points out, it might be prudent to try others as well.  Even if they all work out, the seasons might be slightly different to give you a longer season of fruit.  I recall that there are at least a couple of cultivars from Florida so these might be worth giving a try.  If I recall correctly, I think Shangrila was one of these.

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
thanks!  that is what I had hoped were the reasons.  In this case I think my best bet is bringing in cuttings from Thailand from my own trees which are prolific and fast growing as banyan trees and have high quality fruit.
To bring in plant material from Thailand you will need a phyto sanitary certificate issued by agriculture department in Thailand. You will also need a plant import permit from USDA.
Oscar

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »
I recall visiting a guy further up Hamakua coast towards Honoka'a who had a large mulberry tree with a ton of nice large flavorful dark berries.  I have no idea of the cultivar but he said it fruited heavily & reliably.  The birds loved the fruit but he said he got enough to share with them. 

Your tree from Thailand would be a good candidate but, as Oscar points out, it might be prudent to try others as well.  Even if they all work out, the seasons might be slightly different to give you a longer season of fruit.  I recall that there are at least a couple of cultivars from Florida so these might be worth giving a try.  If I recall correctly, I think Shangrila was one of these.

John

thanks John, the Hamakua one you talk about sounds like mine... but yeh plenty to share with birds.  Mine in Thailand is everbearing, only taking breaks after a big push, but those breaks don't last longer than a month, and usually 10% of the tree is still fruiting somewhere.

Importing from Florida would likely be more expensive than importing from Thailand, since I will be trying to bring them back on the airplane free.

To bring in plant material from Thailand you will need a phyto sanitary certificate issued by agriculture department in Thailand. You will also need a plant import permit from USDA.

Thanks for heads up, from what my friend said since just cuttings no soil shouldn't be too hard. I got some time to figure this out, since won't be going out until June. 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 05:05:58 PM »
Bringing the cuttings on the plane may be free, but if you get caught with them without proper permits than it will not be free any more, as you will have to pay a big fine. Also you risk introducing pests into the USA!
Oscar

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:39:55 PM »
this one yeh?
PPQ 587 - Application for permit to import plants or plant products
free?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
this kind quality

grown at 8.5 degrees N

PunaGreenTree

• Big Island, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 11:44:59 PM »
We are growing the Pakistan Black Mulberry here in Hawaii at 2200 feet elevation and so far the trees are doing great and growing fast. Already flowering and fruiting at a small size, but were grown from mature cuttings. Have you considered that variety?

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 02:20:07 AM »
would consider anything, but like you said you at 2200', I'll be just a bit above sea level, just enough to avoid salt air. I can guarantee my variety for growth and taste, everbearing at sea level tropics, only need irrigation, which I have.  A low count would be 300 cuttings, and this is for a non-profit, so I am definitely not looking to purchase cuttings. or trees.