Author Topic: Loquat,Passiflora edulis and S.jambos  (Read 8541 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Loquat,Passiflora edulis and S.jambos
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:12:48 AM »
While driving home from the outback I came over the atherton tableland and grabbed a couple of fruit.The P.edulis was the best tasting of several types I tried.The loquat tree in a park had great tasting fruit.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat,Passiflora edulis and S.jambos
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 07:46:40 AM »
While driving home from the outback I came over the atherton tableland and grabbed a couple of fruit.The P.edulis was the best tasting of several types I tried.The loquat tree in a park had great tasting fruit.

Mike - we need some photos here.! And no interesting Syzygium jambos fruits to tell us about (if that exists at all)?
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »

Soren I must be tired as this is the picture that was supposed to go with it.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
Nice haul 8)

Last year I opened some rose apple...they had a strong incense type smell...it's was off-putting(Didn't taste them)...will try this year ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:55 AM »
I
Nice haul 8)

Last year I opened some rose apple...they had a strong incense type smell...it's was off-putting(Didn't taste them)...will try this year ;)

There must be a variety out there which is tasty to most..
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:17:47 PM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »
I
Nice haul 8)

I find rose apples delightful. Some people are put off by the rose smell, which they don't associate normally with food. Main problem with rose apples is they are a magnet for fruit flies, just like guava. Also they were a horrible weed here. Anyway now the rose apple is just a distant memory. They were all wiped out by guava rust (Puccinia psidii) a few years ago. Should be called rose apple rust as the rose apples are much more susceptible to it than guavas, at least the version of the rust we have here.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 04:40:23 AM »
Rose apples don't seem to get attcked by Q. fruit flies here like guavas,sapos and a few others.I also find them quite nice and they are a street tree planted by the city council for over 50 years in my home town.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:52:33 AM »
Rose apples don't seem to get attcked by Q. fruit flies here like guavas,sapos and a few others.I also find them quite nice and they are a street tree planted by the city council for over 50 years in my home town.

Mike, you must have a different strain of Puccinia psidii, or it has not made it to your area, or the rose apples would be history.
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 06:09:14 AM »
It is a different strain, but it still eats rose apples like mad. It prefers native eugenia though. and backhousia sp get smashed. I think its only just reached Cairns, with populations growing from initial infestations in northern new south wales and moving up to south east queensland and more recently in cairns.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:35:47 AM »
Oscar it has just reached here in the last year but only on the city outskirts.I know cear bay cherries,eucalypts,syzigiums and a few others have been affected.I think I have seen a few plants in town with the start of it.I hope I don't lose all my myrtaceae and they don't really cop it in the district.As it has just arrived all the info. has been saying jambos is worst affected and all 'naive' species not from Sth America will be badly affected.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 06:45:37 AM »
Oscar it has just reached here in the last year but only on the city outskirts.I know cear bay cherries,eucalypts,syzigiums and a few others have been affected.I think I have seen a few plants in town with the start of it.I hope I don't lose all my myrtaceae and they don't really cop it in the district.As it has just arrived all the info. has been saying jambos is worst affected and all 'naive' species not from Sth America will be badly affected.

It's wind blown so you will definitely get the rust, but don't think you will lose all your myrtaceaes. Very few here affected severely. It is worst on rose apple here and second worst on wax jambu. It took a couple of years from initial infection to kill the rose apples. The wax jambus are just stunted. Jaboticabas get it a little bit but not badly. Same with guava and malay apple.
Big scare here is that we'll some day get a strain that affects ohia trees (Metrosideros, which is also a myrtaceae). This is our number one native rainforest tree. rust strain we have now has very little effect on ohia.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »
The big fear here is for Eucalypts,melaleuca and various other native myrtaceae of which there are 100's of species in my local district alone and they dominate in most areas.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
I
Nice haul 8)

I find rose apples delightful. Some people are put off by the rose smell, which they don't associate normally with food. Main problem with rose apples is they are a magnet for fruit flies, just like guava. Also they were a horrible weed here. Anyway now the rose apple is just a distant memory. They were all wiped out by guava rust (Puccinia psidii) a few years ago. Should be called rose apple rust as the rose apples are much more susceptible to it than guavas, at least the version of the rust we have here.

Hi Oscar,
I judged a fruit by it's smell :-[  I will definitely give them another shot :) The tree had a carpet of fruits on the floor last year...no signs of fruit flies. ;)

I have read that the fruit has a kind of bitter after taste...is it true?
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 09:17:08 AM »
Steven there is no unpleasant aftertaste and they are pretty nice with a musky flavour.Some can be a little drier and thin fleshed than others.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 09:41:12 AM »
Steven there is no unpleasant aftertaste and they are pretty nice with a musky flavour.Some can be a little drier and thin fleshed than others.

Hey Mike,
AWESOME...I feel a bit  :( for not tasting 'em...looks like I missed out on something nice :(
Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 12:30:12 PM »

Hey Mike,
AWESOME...I feel a bit  :( for not tasting 'em...looks like I missed out on something nice :(

I have tasted fruits from several trees; none were good - not a tree I would grow if space was limited.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

Hey Mike,

I have tasted fruits from several trees; none were good - not a tree I would grow if space was limited.

Hej Søren,
If i had unlimited space...I would pop one in the ground ;) The tree is very ornamental 8) Will c how the rose apple tastes like. I think they start to ripen in August(not sure) ...will report back :)
Time is like a river.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »

Hey Mike,

Hej Søren,
If i had unlimited space...I would pop one in the ground ;) The tree is very ornamental 8) Will c how the rose apple tastes like. I think they start to ripen in August(not sure) ...will report back :)

Haha; I still haven't chopped my peanut butter tree and I dont find that good either.
Let us just agree that we cant agree on taste :-)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Conden

• South B.I. Hawaii, 3600 ft. zone 11
    • Big Island Hawaii, 96737, zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 04:15:24 PM »

I really like rose apples when they start to get some brown streaks on the skin; very sweet and refreshing rose flavor...  I've just recently bought some on Kona-side of the island, so I guess the rust must not be as bad over there?  And my friend knows of a wild tree relatively near the area where I live, so I'm hoping the seeds I just planted will have some chance of growing into healthy trees.  Would growing them in a greenhouse prevent this rust if it's windborne? 

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »

I really like rose apples when they start to get some brown streaks on the skin; very sweet and refreshing rose flavor...  I've just recently bought some on Kona-side of the island, so I guess the rust must not be as bad over there?  And my friend knows of a wild tree relatively near the area where I live, so I'm hoping the seeds I just planted will have some chance of growing into healthy trees. Would growing them in a greenhouse prevent this rust if it's windborne?

Yes on Kona side because it's much drier the rust doesn't spread as fast. Yes growing them in a wind protected greenhouse, not a shadehouse, would help to some extent.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 06:19:04 AM »

Hey Mike,

Yes it is a very special fruit. How many fruits smell like a rose? It's also a fruit that was widely appreciated for many millenia. For example, I've read that the Buddha had 2 favorite fruits: the mango and the rose apple, that is about 600 BC.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »

Hey Mike,

Yes it is a very special fruit. How many fruits smell like a rose? It's also a fruit that was widely appreciated for many millenia. For example, I've read that the Buddha had 2 favorite fruits: the mango and the rose apple, that is about 600 BC.

Hi Oscar,
That really amazing...600bc :o What about the oldest viable seed? that's also amazing 8)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1122_051122_old_seed.html
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
Heard about that date palm from Masada in Israel. Apparently it's a unique type of date palm that no longer exists. Recently also a 10,000+ year old gentian plant was propagated using TC technique in Russia.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 06:59:26 AM »
Heard about that date palm from Masada in Israel. Apparently it's a unique type of date palm that no longer exists. Recently also a 10,000+ year old gentian plant was propagated using TC technique in Russia.

Oscar,
Science and tech. is developing as fast as lightning 8) One of these days...we will see woolly mammoths in the zoo...bet on it :o ;)
Time is like a river.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 05:14:47 PM »
Steven I think that prospect is way further off than popular science journals would have you believe.Better to stick with the garden variety of genetic engineering.With the demand for chicken drumsticks crosses with centipedes have not gone to plan.We don't know what the resultant animal tastes like because no one can catch it.Perhaps the best solution of all is just to have pink mammoths in the orchard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk