Author Topic: Procimequat "A very interesting and complex hybrid"  (Read 7568 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Procimequat "A very interesting and complex hybrid"
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »
This rugged little tree has performed phenomenally for me.

Its about 12 yrs old, and was given to me by a good friend in FL.

I found out that this is a special hybrid, but it has seeds? and apparently my tree came true from seed?  Maybe I'm mistaken?  But I've tasted fruits from a tree labeled as Procimequat, and mine are the same, and the person who gave me the tree, planted the seed (so it's not grafted or a cutting).

The tree seems resistant to greening, and bugs!  Maybe because it's a whacky hybrid, or because it's to short to be noticed!

The fruits can be eaten skin and all, and they taste like.........hmmmm......

celery, lemon, and orange.

I've really grown to like them, but I haven't found too many kumquats that I will eat skin and all.  These fruits are of a different nature, and would probably be good as a garnish, or candied, or cooked somehow. 

The trees flower and fruit for a good portion of the year. 

Anyone else growing this one?

here is a fabulous link I found about this plant...makes me happy to have one.

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/procimequat.html

and here are a few pics of my little old tree, in 3 gal pot.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
Re: Procimequat "A very interesting and complex hybrid"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
This rugged little tree has performed phenomenally for me.

Its about 12 yrs old, and was given to me by a good friend in FL.

I found out that this is a special hybrid, but it has seeds? and apparently my tree came true from seed?  Maybe I'm mistaken?  But I've tasted fruits from a tree labeled as Procimequat, and mine are the same, and the person who gave me the tree, planted the seed (so it's not grafted or a cutting).

The tree seems resistant to greening, and bugs!  Maybe because it's a whacky hybrid, or because it's to short to be noticed!

The fruits can be eaten skin and all, and they taste like.........hmmmm......

celery, lemon, and orange.

I've really grown to like them, but I haven't found too many kumquats that I will eat skin and all.  These fruits are of a different nature, and would probably be good as a garnish, or candied, or cooked somehow. 

The trees flower and fruit for a good portion of the year. 

Anyone else growing this one?

here is a fabulous link I found about this plant...makes me happy to have one.

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/procimequat.html

and here are a few pics of my little old tree, in 3 gal pot.

Procimequat, the genetic remix?  Is the genome spoonerized?

Surprised you don't like kumquats out of hand, I always enjoy them (well the common ones).
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Haha!

Tabby D,

I've grown to really dislike kumquats.

I've only ever had one that I liked to eat, skin and all.

I forget the type!

I'd use them for juice (the ones I don't like to eat out of hand), they do taste nice and refreshing.  I've just had to many good OL boys in FL hand me a kumquat, and say "taste this, it's great", only to find I hate the taste of the oils in the skin.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
Haha!

Tabby D,

I've grown to really dislike kumquats.

I've only ever had one that I liked to eat, skin and all.

I forget the type!

I'd use them for juice (the ones I don't like to eat out of hand), they do taste nice and refreshing.  I've just had to many good OL boys in FL hand me a kumquat, and say "taste this, it's great", only to find I hate the taste of the oils in the skin.
Have yo had the centennial kumquat (its the variegated one)?  it is nothing like the Nagami or Meiwa.  It is more like a tart/sour tangerine with sweet skin.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
I've had that one Rob!

it was ok...maybe I ate it a bit early?

they seemed to blush orange yellow when ripe??

They were juicy and the skin was easier to eat, but something about the oil taste was displeasing.

I will find out the variety I like.

I think its the one that most Asian consumers esteem the highest?

what's the name again?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 05:25:08 PM »
I've had that one Rob!

it was ok...maybe I ate it a bit early?

they seemed to blush orange yellow when ripe??

They were juicy and the skin was easier to eat, but something about the oil taste was displeasing.

I will find out the variety I like.

I think its the one that most Asian consumers esteem the highest?

what's the name again?
Some say the centennial should be "blush orange yellow" when ripe but I have found they are a bit better once they fully color to orange.

The Asians lime the Nagami (the oval shaped kumquat).  This is the variety that is used for the Chinese New Years celebrations.
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
Rob,

I will try nagami again.

this is probably the one I like.

I can also ask my Vietnamese friend! She know which one I like, she has the tree.

O B T  W,

i did eat the variegated kumquat orange!  I should have said turned orange yellow striped, not blushed.

I will try those again too.

Thanks for the good info!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

NedNickerson

• Northern Illinois, for now
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »
12 years old.  Is it a bonsai?   :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
12 years old.  Is it a bonsai?   :)

I suppose it's somewhat of bonsai, but not an intentional one.

it's just been kept in a container, not actively pruned into a specific shape for bonsai.

I've seen a few 30+yr old plants in the ground, and they weren't more than about 2ft tall.

this would make a perfect little tree for an office desk!  You might even harvest a fruit if the lighting and humidity conditions are right!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 11:20:44 PM »
I enjoy kumquats and even enjoy licking the oils off my lips after the fruit is gone.  To me Nagami is my least favorite kumquat, though good candied.  I have Meiwa, Centennial and Fukushu and rate them in that order (to me Meiwa is best).  Procimequat, what is the procime part of the name from?  Limequats are "interesting" too.

Nice tree BTW great that it is resistant to HLB & bugs plus that it came from a good friend makes it even more special.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 01:33:15 AM »
I enjoy kumquats and even enjoy licking the oils off my lips after the fruit is gone.  To me Nagami is my least favorite kumquat, though good candied.  I have Meiwa, Centennial and Fukushu and rate them in that order (to me Meiwa is best).  Procimequat, what is the procime part of the name from?  Limequats are "interesting" too.

Nice tree BTW great that it is resistant to HLB & bugs plus that it came from a good friend makes it even more special.

Description from The Citrus Industry Vol. 1 (1967):

"This very interesting complex hybrid, which has a triploid chromosome number, is the result of a carefully safeguarded cross-pollination of the Eustis limequat with Fortunella hindsii, a tetraploid species made by Eugene May and the writer expressly to obtain a triploid hybrid.   Longley (1926, pp. 543-45, fig. 1) found it to be triploid, with 27 chromosomes in the somatic cells (18 supplied by the male parent, the Hongkong wild kumquat, and nine by the limequat).
      The limequat fruits have from six to nine segments, as might be expected from a hybrid of the round kumquat (with four to seven segments) with the Mexican lime (with 10 to 12 segments).   The Hongkong wild kumquat fruits have only three or four segments.   The ovaries of the procimequat hybrid under consideration usually show from four to five segments.
      The leaves of these hybrids are small but some of them show fairly vigorous growth.   The fruits set abundantly even on small young plants and are small and subglobose, much like those of Fortunella hindsii but a little larger and a much paler orange in color when ripe.   These fruits are not seedless, as was expected, but produce some nucellar bud embryos, as do many citranges after the development of the ovules has been stimulated by pollination.   Triploid limes are usually seedless.
      This hybrid is interesting because it throws light on bigeneric Fortunella X Citrus back-crosses such as are possibly represented by the Malayan hedge lime discussed.   The procimequat is in reality intermediate between a true bigeneric back-cross and a trigeneric hybrid, because Fortunella hindsii belongs to a subgenus, Protocitrus, with many important taxonomic characters separating it from the true Fortunella species placed in the subgenus Fortunella.
      The name "procimequat" (given here for convenience) is derived from Pro[to]c[itrus X L]imequat."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:58:20 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 01:55:22 AM »
Thank you Rob

tabbydan

• Washington DC area
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:06:57 AM »
Say, is there going to be some Ridley Scott movie about this fruit?

People land on a planet and find that a giant intelligent kumquat may have seeded life on different planets?
What's that got to do with Jose Andres $10 brussel sprouts?