Author Topic: Choose Cara Cara  (Read 3658 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Choose Cara Cara
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:46:17 PM »
In 1976 the Cara Cara navel orange was discovered growing at the Hacienda de Cara Cara, in the country of Venezuela.  Its parentage is uncertain and is believed to be a mutation (sport)  of a Washington navel orange. This mutation has really raised the bar over its parent. In addition to being really sweet, the pinkish/red fleshed Cara Cara has 20 percent higher vitamin C and 30 percent higher vitamin A content than its parent Washington Navel. It is Cara Cara season now.  They should be on sale in your market now.

Millet

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Cara Cara
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:54:45 PM »
They have been in the South Florida market since January.  Unfortunately the commercial crops are not very good.  I received a number of fresh picked orchard grown from California this year that were phenomenal.  Big different from commercial grown.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 11:50:17 PM »
I have one tree of Cara cara. The fruits are very attractive inside, but can't say they taste any better than regular Washington navel. But the tree is still pretty young. Maybe the fruits will improve with age?
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »
I have one tree of Cara cara. The fruits are very attractive inside, but can't say they taste any better than regular Washington navel. But the tree is still pretty young. Maybe the fruits will improve with age?

Do they get any chill time to let them show their stuff?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »

Wonderful thing about Cara cara is it doesn't need any chill time, unlike blood oranges, to turn pinkish-red inside.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 12:46:53 AM »

Wonderful thing about Cara cara is it doesn't need any chill time, unlike blood oranges, to turn pinkish-red inside.

That I know, I was more falking about to bring out its exceptional flavor.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:57:00 AM »

That I know, I was more falking about to bring out its exceptional flavor.
Regular washington navels don't get any chill and taste quite good here. Why would Cara cara need chill to taste better?
Here is a photo comparison of the 3: washington navel, cara cara and moro blood orange. The blood orange i bought as mine don't color up like that:
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 01:32:00 AM »
Exactly what they look like when grown here and the ones my friend sent me from California.   Grown here they are better than the regular Navel  but pale in comparison to the ones I received from my friend in California.
- Rob

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 08:07:29 AM »
I'm about to prepare a cocktail tree for my yard and i haven't think about cara cara, but it looks like this one is a must have.
Thank you for your suggestion.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 09:58:03 AM »
I wish I can get Cara Cara orange.  :'(
Moh'd

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
In 1976 the Cara Cara navel orange was discovered growing at the Hacienda de Cara Cara, in the country of Venezuela.  Its parentage is uncertain and is believed to be a mutation (sport)  of a Washington navel orange. This mutation has really raised the bar over its parent. In addition to being really sweet, the pinkish/red fleshed Cara Cara has 20 percent higher vitamin C and 30 percent higher vitamin A content than its parent Washington Navel. It is Cara Cara season now.  They should be on sale in your market now.

Millet
Hi! Please what do you choose a cara cara or a vanilla orange tree to plant? Thank's!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:52:46 PM by Luisport »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »
I have a rather large in ground Cara Cara navel tree in my greenhouse.  It is now about 10 to 12 year old.  It produces a nice crop of fruit every year.  Being that it is grown inside a warm greenhouse, it harvest is about 6 weeks earlier that the commercial crops.  This was the first in gound tree that I planted .  I realy like the tree, and the fruit. - Millet

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 07:12:16 AM »
Please anyone, what do you choose a cara cara or a vanilla orange tree to plant? Thank's!

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »
Most people think vanilla orange are bland, but i have tasted them in Sicily and i think they are delicious in their own right, and more juicy than other citrus. So, i would double graft my plant :p
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016, 09:47:37 AM »
Most people think vanilla orange are bland, but i have tasted them in Sicily and i think they are delicious in their own right, and more juicy than other citrus. So, i would double graft my plant :p
Thank you my friend. And the fragola orange? it's good?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk