Author Topic: 2019 SoCal Mango tasting  (Read 14074 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 SoCal Mango tasting
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2019, 12:25:59 PM »
I just cut open my last Seedling W, Apricot mango and this fruit had a Brix of 26%. It was very sweet and very complex. The skin color on this fruit ripened to an orange color on the shoulders with a hint of red. This selection actually does have a small amount of fiber, similar to a Julie. The flavor also has hints of Julie in it, a very deep rich flavor accentuated by slight resin flavor.

One strange thing I noticed about this fruit is that it had what appeared to be white latex like sap inside the fruit close to the skin near the stem end of the fruit. I would consider this a major flaw but it seems to give this fruit a crazy depth of flavor. I avoided the white sappy looking substance and ate around it but there are strong delicious flavors around that area.

I didn’t take any pictures of the sap because my hands were covered in mango juice but if I get another fruit, I’ll try to see if it consistently has this white substance inside the fruit. I got a little tickle on the back of my throat after eating this fruit so I would warn people that are allergic to mango sap or latex to avoid eating this selection.

Simon

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2019, 06:24:33 PM »
Frank, I think we’re going to have to move the mango tastings later in the year if our Summer is mild. These mid/later Mangos are reaching significantly higher Brix and flavor levels.

Behl, I checked the Peach Cobblers and although they are getting some yellow, they are still rock hard. I didn’t want to squeeze them too much but they were still definitely very solid.

Simon

I bought peach cobbler tree only because bsbullie had so many good things to say about  this mango. Even in PM messages he sent. I bought via Mr Bender at Benders Grove and planted it. Then someone dug it up three weeks after planting (2014) an stole it. This is very bold, though 10 ft from a road. I have had fruits taken (stolen) but this was a first.

As always lets see how peach cobbler pans out in California and Florida.

Zands, here's is picture of peach cobbler I got from my tree last year, brix 28, very delicious and citrus flavored.

Very very nice  on your peach cobbler! Looks delish/    Sorry for the late reply.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »
My two Peach Cobbler Mangos were still hanging on the tree and are very very firm but they have been like this for many weeks so I decided to harvest the one with more color in hopes that it will ripen by Saturday for the Cherimoya tasting at Brads this Saturday.

I’ll report back on how it tastes once it ripens up.

Simon

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
Gary mango top 10 this year and a great late var for SoCal

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2020, 09:05:11 PM »
My two Peach Cobbler Mangos were still hanging on the tree and are very very firm but they have been like this for many weeks so I decided to harvest the one with more color in hopes that it will ripen by Saturday for the Cherimoya tasting at Brads this Saturday.

Hi Simon,

I usually had my last PC at end of September. Did you delay the flowering until late April?

This year all of my mangoes flowers had heavy mildew and I picked all of them off around April 10 for a new patch of flowers -- it's kind late in the season. This turned out perfect timing for LZ which has both leaves and fruits on same stem,  and PC, but too late for Thai mango Okrung Tong which has zero.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:08:19 PM by sapote »