Author Topic: Alternative treatment for Citrus Greening?  (Read 1167 times)

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
Alternative treatment for Citrus Greening?
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »
After reading a lot of articles on Citrus Greening and associated research to find a cure or viable treatment, I found this article that totally contradicts everything I've read. It's pretty interesting and encouraging to read about successful results rather than more and more research with no end in sight except more research.

If you can spare about 10 minutes to read this article and let me know your thoughts I'd appreciate it.

https://gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/18803-expert-says-there-s-a-cure-for-citrus-greening-so-why-is-it-being-ignored

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative treatment for Citrus Greening?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »
I have to look at the money trail with greening. I do not know of any devasting ddisease if you will that money does not cure. I am not aware of this approach.....and I have educated myself to all aspects of it. I am not a fan of gmo but I am a fan of saving the industry. This is the first time I have heard of this approach. Certainly if this works why has it been squashed
 Is it dollars? Are dollars more valuable than the industry that several states rely upon....Regardless, any approach is worth a shot. If a far fetched approach works.....lets give it a try. This article  calls out a lot of people that are supposed to be the "last word" on greening.......

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
Organic citrus growers who never use glyphosate, nor other herbicides, are also seeing tree damage, and tree death, from citrus greening disease.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »
I agree about the money. Researchers live for one thing - funding, so they can continue to research. It's their bread and butter, Mr. Dean and Dr. Webb believe these research teams are following the wrong trail, and as long as the USDA and the Florida Department of Agriculture keep the paychecks coming they seem content with the path they've chosen. Generous offerings from Monsanto help them stay on focus ….

I think this greening problem is primarily a commercial grower problem. We hear about it when thousands of acres die due to greening and many growers have given up. No doubt the problem is huge for them but has greening been a problem for people like me and others in here who have a few trees in the back yard and know exactly how to choose, plant and care for their prized fruit trees?

I have never used an herbicide in my yard. I have always used a hoe and garden rake to clear everything inside the drip line, treated with insecticides only when absolutely necessary, given the trees light feedings every other month and always kept them watered. I have been lucky to an extent but I know that experience and some elbow grease go a long way to successful fruit production and healthy trees. I do not intend to give up on the tried & true varieties that have given me so much outstanding fruit, nor do I feel like waiting 10-15 years for some GMO creations of unknown quality.

So I guess I'm saying I'm not scared.

Question: has anyone here ever lost a tree in the back yard to greening, or had a confirmed diagnosis?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 10:23:25 PM »
Yes, back yard trees are lost every day.