Author Topic: Yummy - Totally GREEN starfruit (carambola) at Whole Foods (yuck)  (Read 1282 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Was at Whole Foods today wrestling with the other pre-Thanksgiving shoppers. These caught my eye as I walked by the fruit section. No wonder people don't buy more exotic fruit. Some unsuspecting person is going to pay premium Whole Foods money for a disgusting never-to-ripen fruit.

Standardbloke

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Yummy - Totally GREEN starfruit (carambola) at Whole Foods (yuck)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 12:35:13 AM »
Was at Whole Foods today wrestling with the other pre-Thanksgiving shoppers. These caught my eye as I walked by the fruit section. No wonder people don't buy more exotic fruit. Some unsuspecting person is going to pay premium Whole Foods money for a disgusting never-to-ripen fruit.

Not only is this terrible, but it is also dangerous. Green starfruit have significantly high concentrations of oxolic acid. If someone with Kidney issues eats one of those they could very easily die.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 08:52:47 AM »
So disgusting.  One tree will furnish a whole neighborhood in SoFlo.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 12:37:39 PM »
Starfruit, like most things in life, is best when done right.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
I'm confused. i thought carambola was one of those fruits that will ripen after being picked...

Carolyn

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 01:13:19 PM »
They have the same thing down here, fruit picked out of season and sold at a premium.  Its surprising they can stay in business.
Brad Spaugh

BR

• SWFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »
Not saying this is the case here, but there are sour varieties of carambola that you pick green and use in cooking.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 08:45:07 PM »
There isn't much excuse for Whole Foods to not find a supplier since plenty are grown in Florida. However, try putting ripe star fruit in a box, ship it to the Whole Foods distribution center for a week then again to a store and you will probably find something not any better than the green ones, maybe pretty rotten fruit. Large chain grocers like that usually defer to buyers who seek to source a grower they know wil ship something every week and give them a constant secure price. Whole Foods likely doesn't deal with small growers. That is just the state of things with this fruit, very soft and nearly unshippable. Brooks Tropicals grows 40 acres here on Pine Island and supplies much of the US market, but all are picked green. At that stage they are mainly a decorative item like kale used to be 20-30 years ago where it was just a garnish to be thrown away, many didn't even know it was edible but compared to the bland Iceberg lettuce it may have been the healthiest thing on a plate of salad.

This is what Brooks did last year when the fruit could not be held on their trees any longer and ripened fully:

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
I'm confused. i thought carambola was one of those fruits that will ripen after being picked...

Carolyn
Nope
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk