Author Topic: Visiting Dallas - Where are the fruit?  (Read 3750 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Visiting Dallas - Where are the fruit?
« on: November 08, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
I will be in Dallas for 5 days.  Any comments from locals or knowledgeable folks on where tropical fruits can be found would be appreciated.  Per suggestions on a prior visit to Austin, I did search for Asian Supermarkets and am curious has to how specific ones are rated by locals...

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Dallas - Where are the fruit?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
Dallas Farmers Market has local and Mexican fruits.  http://dallasfarmersmarket.org/

Most Hispanic and Asian supermarkets have seasonal tropical fruits.  One of my favorites: Asian Super Market at 3040 N Josey Ln, Carrollton.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 04:02:06 PM »

Future, I decided to give you geography lesson ;D. Action happens below the red line. I don't see Dallas anywhere near it ;D.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
I lived there for 5 years, and there were a couple of places in the Metroplex where peaches were grown and sold in the summertime.  One of those places also sold apples in the fall.  In my neighborhood I saw a few persimmon trees, and of course there are pecans trees all over the place.  Now if you like meat, on the other hand, there are several very good BBQ places in Dallas! ;D  My favorite is Lockhart Smokehouse in the Bishop Arts District though others swear by Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum.  And try the gas station at Harry Hines Blvd. and Northwest Highway for some of the best tacos in the city.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:57:53 PM by johnb51 »
John

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:35:33 PM »
Nice!👊

Future, I decided to give you geography lesson ;D. Action happens below the red line. I don't see Dallas anywhere near it ;D.

JC

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
Dallas Farmers Market has local and Mexican fruits.  http://dallasfarmersmarket.org/

Most Hispanic and Asian supermarkets have seasonal tropical fruits.  One of my favorites: Asian Super Market at 3040 N Josey Ln, Carrollton.

Perfect!  I will visit both. Thank you.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
LMFAO DURIAN Lover
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 07:00:17 AM »
Too funny Durian Lover!!!!!! LOL
FloridaGreenMan

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »
Mexico, central America - enter at your own risk.

I live in the peach capitol of the SW.  If you want a sweet, rich tree ripened fruit you'll never forget, come visit during peach season - June - Sept.  Pecans are in season now and this year's crop is excellent.  Here's Nacono from my small tree.  Nacono is one of those rich, nutty, large pecans that is so easy to process.  It's a typical high quality soft shell and none of it sticks between the kernel's ridges.  The meat always comes out clean.

My peaches and pecans:

....and we have our beautiful mesquite.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:49:39 AM by Mark in Texas »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »
Beautiful peaches and pecans, Mark!  Thank you for confirming that I know something about Texas.  Down in the Rio Grande Valley that's another story--a wider variety of fruit can be grown.  In addition to the famous citrus, avocados and even mangos, I believe.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:29:11 AM by johnb51 »
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »
Beautiful peaches and pecans, Mark!  Thank you for confirming that I know something about Texas.  Down in the Rio Grande Valley that's another story--a wider variety of fruit can be grown.  In addition to the famous citrus, avocados and even mangos, I believe.

Thanks!  Rivers End has great fruit.  I got avocados from Kathy.  Need to put in an order for pitayas.
http://www.riversendnursery.com/

They grow it all. Everything you find in San Diego or the Miami area, Kathy and her husband have it - durian, cherimoya, pitaya, etc.  And most important of all, they have water, plenty of it.  Oh, and it's hard to beat Harligen's 1015Y super sweet onions!

I think the Valley citrus is the best of the best.  Maybe it's because I'm getting fresh citrus in our local grocery stores but I have rarely tasted Cali or NM citrus that comes close to the richness, juice, and sweetness of Valley citrus.  Unfortunately much of the orchards are being bought up by developers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:55:55 AM by Mark in Texas »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »

Thanks!  Rivers End has great fruit.  I got avocados from Kathy.  Need to put in an order for pitayas.
http://www.riversendnursery.com/

They grow it all. Everything you find in San Diego or the Miami area, Kathy and her husband have it - durian, cherimoya, pitaya, etc.  And most important of all, they have water, plenty of it.  Oh, and it's hard to beat Harligen's 1015Y super sweet onions!

I think the Valley citrus is the best of the best.  Maybe it's because I'm getting fresh citrus in our local grocery stores but I have rarely tasted Cali or NM citrus that comes close to the richness, juice, and sweetness of Valley citrus.  Unfortunately much of the orchards are being bought up by developers.

That's a shame.  What are the developers doing with the land?  "Growing" subdivisions?
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
Yep.  Whole corridor along the river is subdivisions which once was orchards both citrus and avocados.  If you could get 10X the money from a real estate developer versus truck loads of citrus and all the headaches that goes with it, wouldn't you sell out?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
The same thing happened in Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties (California) many decades ago.  Adios, orange trees!  Ventura County started to protect their agricultural land and heritage before it was too late.
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 01:59:09 PM »
Just returned from the Carrollton supermarket. 

Rambutan, longan, cherimoya and persimmon in hand!  I also saw (frozen) durian, various guavas, dragon fruit etc.

Good deal.

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 04:16:12 PM »
Just returned from the Carrollton supermarket. 

Rambutan, longan, cherimoya and persimmon in hand!  I also saw (frozen) durian, various guavas, dragon fruit etc.

Good deal.

Glad you were successful.  That Carrollton market often has good black sapote.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk