Author Topic: Identify the Unknown  (Read 3378 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Identify the Unknown
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Sorry, no pics, but wait, there's more.  Don't leave yet!

Long ago before the time of digital cameras in our pockets, there was this bush growing near Wrights Ferry Baptist Church in Knoxville, TN.

Every year it produced giant round fruit that looked like Breadfruit.  I have no clue whether or not it was edible and never tried one.  However, the local hillbillies gave it assorted names like "the pineapple tree," "hillbilly handgrenade fruit," "prickly pawpaw," etc.

It is obviously not breadfruit since the leaves were small and they get snow there.  It is obviously cold tolerant.

The bush was cut down many years ago.  Wasn't any more than 8' height.

Really wish I knew what it was.  I only have childhood memories of it.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Identify the Unknown
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
Maclura pomifera
Life is good

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
Maclura pomifera

Yes!

That is it. 

Thank you.  Hedge apple it seems.

Always had a weird smell.  Not sure they are edible.  I will have to read up on them when I get time.

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
Life is good

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »
Lots of interesting reads on these.  Bow and arrow wood; insect repellent; softball substitute; a cure for cancer..  lol

Don't think I'll grow one, but at least my curiosity is appeased.

One guy said it best:

"I think these big, impressive fruits are so appealing that people believe they must be good for something. ... I think it’s just hard for people to accept the notion that something so cool and abundant is useless ... The desire for Osage oranges to be useful outweighs the evidence.”

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »
Lots of interesting reads on these.  Bow and arrow wood; insect repellent; softball substitute; a cure for cancer..  lol

Don't think I'll grow one, but at least my curiosity is appeased.

One guy said it best:

"I think these big, impressive fruits are so appealing that people believe they must be good for something. ... I think it’s just hard for people to accept the notion that something so cool and abundant is useless ... The desire for Osage oranges to be useful outweighs the evidence.”

Most research says that the insect repellant aspect is hokum. But the wood is reportedly very good - hard and rot resistant.

The fruit are, unfortunately, just a curiosity.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
Yes, grew up with "Osage Orange" trees all over. The fruits litter the roads like mangos in Puerto Rico.
As Karen Mentioned, just a curiosity and useful for batting practice or just hurling at something to watch it explode.

Once I got interested in fruit, I kind of wished there was something useful about this tree, but I don't think there really is.

EXCEPT it can be used as rootstock for "Melon Tree" or Che fruit (cudrania tricuspidata)