Author Topic: Star Trek type Scanner -Scio-  (Read 1336 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Star Trek type Scanner -Scio-
« on: May 05, 2016, 06:21:16 PM »
I have been monitoring the progress of this kickstarter gadget, for about 2 years, they finally came out with their device.   its a portable spectrometer sensor,  I do not have the details of all its capabilities. but from what I understand, you can make your own applets,  for example scan one item, and scan another and see the difference.

I have seen examples of it used for scanning fruit and veggies at supermarkets, to determine ripeness or chemicals.   you can also use it to identify medications, and can even tell the difference between a generic medication and originals,  ( I assume its sensitive enough to detect the slight differences )

So I wonder if this would be useful for the garden community,  would it be possible to scan leaves, and check for nutritional deficiencies?  what about Identifying varieties? or would there be too much variations due to nutrients and climate etc?    or maybe for breeding to quickly determine if one cultivar crossed with another? anyway will be interesting to see where this leads.

https://www.consumerphysics.com/myscio/technology

Soon after writing this I came across some Q&A, seems it wont work for plant identification at this point.  too bad.  but this is just a first generation pocket sized unit, so maybe eventually we will get what we really want.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 06:28:34 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek type Scanner -Scio-
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:57:27 PM »
Seems like it can identify difference, but not which one is real and which one is fake, unless you have a known sample of the real one.

So I think it's pretty useless for ID purposes.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:58 PM »
Seems like it can identify difference, but not which one is real and which one is fake, unless you have a known sample of the real one.

So I think it's pretty useless for ID purposes.

only works for molecules at 1% or higher and not on metals, so iron, copper and such won't register.  would only be good as a fancy brix meter for growers atm.  I dream of a device like this that can scan the full spectrum of elements,  oh well, we are getting there step by step.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
There's that mug that tells you what the drink is. Nutritional values and such. It was delayed I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk