Author Topic: Citrus Leaf Drop...?  (Read 3172 times)

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
Citrus Leaf Drop...?
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:28:57 AM »
Recently, I have been noticing that some of my citrus trees have been yellowing and dropping some leaves.  This coincides with several factors that may be the cause or have influenced in some ways.

1)  Recently sprayed: Dynogro Protekt, S.Ag Citrus Nutrients, Surfactant, Copper Fungicide, Horticultural Oil  (twice within a month)
2)  We have experienced heavy rains that saturated the ground  in some areas but none of the trees were in standing water.
3)  Fruit is growing larger on all of them.
4)  They have not been getting much fertilizer up to this point.

The thing that bothers me is some of the yellowing leaves are new growth (especially on the Ponkan).  With yellow chloric veins it makes me nervous about HLB...I had not seen any of these symptoms until post spray/heavy rains.  The Hamlin, Page, Owari, Shiranui, are not exhibiting these symptoms (all in front yard).  I realize there are many factors involved which make a diagnosis very challenging.  Thanks for your time.

Ponkan

Cara Cara

King

- Marley

buddinman

• USA,TEXAS. Lumberton, 8, 77657
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus Leaf Drop...?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »
Too much water, i have had the same problem this years.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:07:30 AM »
As long as the grounds drain well, it has nothing to do with being too much water.

Why are you aggressively spraying so much on newly planted trees?  Are your trees in full sun?  How and what time of the day are you spraying the oil?
- Rob

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »
One prominent sign that the leaf drop is due to some type of strain to the tree, is the fact that most all the leaves are falling from the tree without their petiole still attached. One of the symptoms of citrus greening is yellow mottling of the leaves.  If it is greening, you can find out by taking samples to your local extension agent. - Millet

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
One prominent sign that the leaf drop is due to some type of strain to the tree, is the fact that most all the leaves are falling from the tree without their petiole still attached. One of the symptoms of citrus greening is yellow mottling of the leaves.  If it is greening, you can find out by taking samples to your local extension agent. - Millet

Mites will also cause a yellow mottling.  As for relying on the local extension office to determine greening, hahahahahahahaha...
- Rob

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »
As long as the grounds drain well, it has nothing to do with being too much water.

Why are you aggressively spraying so much on newly planted trees?  Are your trees in full sun?  How and what time of the day are you spraying the oil?

I have leaf miners pretty bad and copper for preventative measures.  I always spray after the sun goes down.  Grounds drain fairly well not too much saturation.  However the Ponkan looks the worst and it was the most saturated.  All of my trees were planted on mounds.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 03:31:01 PM »

I hope this is the case.  Interesting to hear you're experiencing this too.  My Cara Cara is planted way high up and is still being effected.  I figure the the ground staid saturated within 3-5 ft from tree for 24 hrs.  Plus water table is typically 2-3 ft below grade.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »

Did you further mound up or raise your tree beds?  We just entered the rainy season.
- Marley

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »

What is your soil like?
- Marley

Slicko

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:21 PM »
I have a Myer lemon that over the last few weeks is showing increasing chlorosis. Perhaps 20% of the leaves are affected and there is now quite a lot of leaf fall. There is a crop of immature fruit (affected by melonase) and it is the first month of our winter. There is also one set of unopened flowers.

I have given it two treatments of iron chelate and one of trace elements and the chlorosis continues to increase.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to assist its recovery? My five other citrus are also in the ground and doing fine.