Author Topic: What is it with Angie mango???  (Read 5179 times)

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
What is it with Angie mango???
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:54:29 AM »
A couple of years ago, Angie mango was all the rage. Now I see that people are either digging theirs out or topworking. Is it a good mango or not??? Also, it's supposed to be early season. Any truth to that statement? Would love to hear what everyone thinks ;D ;D ;D

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: What is it with Angie mango???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
A couple of years ago, Angie mango was all the rage. Now I see that people are either digging theirs out or topworking. Is it a good mango or not??? Also, it's supposed to be early season. Any truth to that statement? Would love to hear what everyone thinks ;D ;D ;D

Is Angie early? If so it needs to be cut some slack. First mangoes of the year are anticipated and special. This year, last year, it could be any year.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:16:09 AM »
It can and has been an excellent mango.  There have been numerous tastings that I have been involved with where it has vied for top billing.  Unfortunately, it does have some inconsistencies. There have been years where the flavor has been off for some unexplained reason.  For me, it is still a keeper.  It is productive and semi dwarf in growth habit.  The fruit can vary in size from year to year but overall at most times and seasons excellent in eating quality on the Fairchild scale of Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor.  And yes, Angie is an early season mango.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »
Angie is not an early season.  Stop drinking the Richard Campbell Kool Aid.  While  people have differing tastes, I dont see that as the issue (although again, following  Richard Campbell and his descriptions should be done with great caution).  Theissue i have seen is its iinconsistencies in quality from year to year and where its grown.  On top of that, it just doesn't lead up to the hype ala Graham, Joellen, etc.

That being said, I have a 25 gal Angie for sale.
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »
I will clarify, before Harry has a fit  ;) , it is the late part of the early season to early part of the mid season.  It is definitely not an April/May mango or even early June for that matter, IMO.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »
Angie ripens at exactly the same time as Pickering (June) and is not an early mango as "advertised" by Dr. Campbell, "harvested before the rainy season."  I consider Pickering a superior choice because the tree is healthier, more compact, and more symmetrical (a real beauty) and the fruit more consistent and generally richer in flavor.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:40:27 PM by johnb51 »
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
Most of my Angies came in May and june

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »
I've only had 2 angies, and I really liked both :-). I have 2 planted out and will be trialing them myself.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that Dr Campbell's growing conditions are very different from 99% of the rest of the south florida mango growing population -- dade rockland soil with whatever micronutrients were left behind from decades worth of tending an avocado orchard, zero nitrogen,  and loads of potassium. So, I think he may be selecting mangoes based on how well they perform under his unique growing conditions.

That said, I don't think there exists a mango which will always be perceived as excellent. Not only is mango quality typically variable due to climatic variation, but our perception of mango quality changes as we a) get bored of a particular flavor, or b) find subtle qualities which were not previously noticed.

The best bet is to halt the search for the non-existent HGM (Holy Grail Mango) and plant a few really good ones. Then realize (and be content with the fact) that not all will be perceived as having excellent quality on a given year, but there will be enough "excellent" ones to make it an enjoyable mango year.

And, it's human nature to always be noticing greener pastures, regardless of how green one's own fields are. (Look at folks like Tiger Woods who, while married to a professional model, are checking out other ladies.) It's best is to stop chasing the carrot / HGM and be content with "good enough."

:-)
Jeff  :-)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »
My pickering are not consistent. If yours are, then you're lucky. The first 3/4 of this year's pickering crop were so bland that my wife (who previously adored pickering) tried to talk me into chopping it down.

The list of consistently excellent mangoes (from year to year) is probably nil. I can't off hand think of any. Even Edward can vary some.

Angie ripens at exactly the same time as Pickering (June) and is not an early mango as "advertised" by Dr. Campbell, "harvested before the rainy season."  I consider Pickering a superior choice because the tree is healthier, more compact, and more symmetrical (a real beauty) and the fruit more consistent and generally richer in flavor.
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 11:02:59 PM »
I will clarify, before Harry has a fit  ;) , it is the late part of the early season to early part of the mid season.  It is definitely not an April/May mango or even early June for that matter, IMO.

I am not going to have a fit.....I am just going to say that Angie tends to hold its fruit a bit longer than some of the early season producers.  They have been pretty early at my house and I think we did have mature fruit this year in May.  This, however, was an earlier than normal season overall for mangoes.....so that may not be a consistent thing in the world of Angie. I would still classify it as an early season mango rather than a mid season mango overall. But, with its holding power, the tree does hold fruit into the early mid season in most years.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »
I picked my last two Angie's this past weekend. My July angies have been terrific.
JC

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:42:41 PM »
Had my last one today and it was damn good.

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:14 PM »
Thank you for all the responses! I have some hope that Angie may still be worthy to plant in my limited area. The only "early mango I have at present is Rosigold and would like another to kick the season off. And if some people think it tastes like Carrie and some like Edward, don't see how I could go wrong... Those are two of my favorites!

E.