Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 939741 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
Yellow Dragon Fruit --

I have not had the opportunity to taste a yellow dragon fruit yet.
Just curious how those who have would rate them?

Beautiful flowering habit, very interesting exterior appearance of the fruit,  nice flavor (one of the more flavorful white fleshed dragonfruits), thorns on the fruit are a pain until the fruit is mature....at which time they can be brushed off easily.  But.....these things are so darned small it is almost not worth the effort. Literally, there is maybe 2-3 teaspoons of edible flesh per fruit.  or at least that is how mine have been.  I hear there are some larger ones around....but so far, I haven't seen nor be able to source any.

Ha
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »

Beautiful flowering habit, very interesting exterior appearance of the fruit,  nice flavor (one of the more flavorful white fleshed dragonfruits), thorns on the fruit are a pain until the fruit is mature....at which time they can be brushed off easily.  But.....these things are so darned small it is almost not worth the effort. Literally, there is maybe 2-3 teaspoons of edible flesh per fruit.  or at least that is how mine have been.  I hear there are some larger ones around....but so far, I haven't seen nor be able to source any.

Ha

All of the people that I know who grow it here in South Florida have the same problem - very small fruit.  The only place I have seen the "normal" sized fruit is in Colombia.  I'm certain that all of the ones here are not from the same source.  One day someone will discover what is holding us back and then...LOOK OUT!  :) ;)  In my opinion, much sweeter than any of the H. undatus around.

amrkhalido

• Zone 10, Egypt
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 07:38:55 PM »
i got yellow dragon fruit from taiwan ,, singapore ,, and they were huge and super sweet ,, they are the best ,, red ones with white flesh were soo bland and tasteless ,, i didn't taste the red fleshed ones yet ,, i wish i did have time or remembered to bring cuttings

Amr

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »
I am very amazed at just how fast these plants grow! Below are the pictures comparing  January to March and the growth in just 2 months!

January 2012

March 2012.

April 2012
AMAZING GROWTH in just 3 MONTHS

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:24:03 PM by MarinFla »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
Nice update, I like the side by side photo comparisons in growth rate. Photo journal for me is a great way to keep track of flowering, fruiting, growth rates, etc.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
The Yellow DF that I have tasted in Hong Kong were very large compared to those grown in the US.  When I did research on the subject, I read that they grafted the Yellow DF onto Red fleshed varieties which is supposed to drastically increase the size of the fruit. 
Simon

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
You guys are so lucky to have access to the Mattslandscapes and Pine Island nursery selections.In this parellel universe we make do with lesser entities and almost no hybrids.I have about 10 varieties and my most glamorous type is a giant self fertile columbian red.It is no doubt pretty ordinary compared to physical graffiti.I could plant the seeds and wait 4 years I suppose.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
You guys are so lucky to have access to the Mattslandscapes and Pine Island nursery selections.In this parellel universe we make do with lesser entities and almost no hybrids.I have about 10 varieties and my most glamorous type is a giant self fertile columbian red.It is no doubt pretty ordinary compared to physical graffiti.I could plant the seeds and wait 4 years I suppose.

Or when my trellis grows out to desired dimensions and I have to prune it back I could send you some cuttings. They grow like weeds and root quickly in ordinary potting soil.
Marin

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Unlike your dazzling smile there are gaps in my collection, more like an alabama grin, due to quarantine preventing live plants coming into this fair land.This morning I was frolicking through my collection of durian,mangosteen,longkong,duku,rambutan and many other fruit trees but my excitement was moderated by my second rate dragon fruit.My sugar apples are also occupying spots where illama and soncoya should be.Even tho I enjoyed a bounty of rambai,matisia and rambutan after dinner last night I will never have much of a meso-american selection as only seeds are allowed in.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2012, 10:24:59 PM »
Unlike your dazzling smile there are gaps in my collection, more like an alabama grin, due to quarantine preventing live plants coming into this fair land.This morning I was frolicking through my collection of durian,mangosteen,longkong,duku,rambutan and many other fruit trees but my excitement was moderated by my second rate dragon fruit.My sugar apples are also occupying spots where illama and soncoya should be.Even tho I enjoyed a bounty of rambai,matisia and rambutan after dinner last night I will never have much of a meso-american selection as only seeds are allowed in.

Thanks  ;D
Ok Then I will save some seeds from one the Physical Grafitti fruits when they finally start producing and send some. When you see a post by me showing they are finally fruiting remind me to send you some seeds!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
Marin Fla that is mighty generous of you.When and if the event takes place you'll be handsomely rewarded with a few things I

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »
Sorry, premature posting,it has never happened before.As I was saying I have a pretty good selection and we can get down to the nitty griity when the time comes.

ggpalms

• Pepe's Fruit Trees
  • Eat more fruit! Plant a tree!!
    • Davie, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Pepe's Fruit Trees
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »
Okay you guys are growing some fine dragons!

Here is a list of my dragons:

Halleys Comet

Physical Grafitti

American Beauty

Makisupia

Vietnamese Jana (Please be careful when pronouncing this one!)
Say it and think about it. Some here in Florida renamed it Pearl from my understanding. I wonder why?
Hey what the heck it's just a word right?

Delight

Purple Haze

Will post some pics in the days and weeks ahead.

Jason "Pepe" http://www.pepesplants.com

PS
In California Mr. Edgar Valdivia is one of the top persons to go to on the subject!

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2012, 03:27:08 PM »

Vietnamese Jana (Please be careful when pronouncing this one!)
Say it and think about it. Some here in Florida renamed it Pearl from my understanding. I wonder why?
Hey what the heck it's just a word right?

lmao.... yes people are overly sensitive and too politically correct on everything.  I prefer the "Vietnamese Jaina" myself  ;)
Tim

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2012, 01:07:09 AM »
 ;D ^
Alexi

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
I am very amazed at just how fast these plants grow! Below are the pictures comparing  January to March and the growth in just 2 months!

January 2012

March 2012.

April 2012
AMAZING GROWTH in just 3 MONTHS

UPDATE :June 15, 2012
Growing Nicely

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
To make it more difficult, did all of Selenicereus get lumped in w/Hylocereus or just S. megalanthus?

-Ethan

Only megalanthus was reclassified into Hylocereus. Selenicereus normally has more than 3 ribs, so megalanthus is closer to Hylocereus. There may be other factors but this is the most apparent.

I have about a dozen kinds but I lost some interest in these. They don't take much work so I just leave them be.

Guatamalan types:
- Santa Barbara Red (collected wild from Central America)
- Condor
- American Beauty
- G2 (part of Paul Thomson's original wild selections for crossing, thin compact vines)

Unnamed:
- H. polyrhisus
- H. megalanthus (yellow)

Paul Thomson's hybrids:
- Halley's Comet
- Physical Graffiti (fastest growing)
- Delight
- S8 (Voodoo Child, Arizona Purple)

Whites:
- George (George Emerich the father of cherimoya in CA)
- Quang Ong's white (my name for where it's from)

Others:
- Valdivia Roja (mexican origin from Valdivia ranch, small but numerous fruits, very good tasting, waxy rough texture bluish stem)
- Sin Espina (no spine)
- Purple Haze
- Zamorano
- Tricia (Ed Valdivia's daughter, elongated fruit, deep red flesh, polyrhisus with tendency to alternate between 3 and 4 ribs)

Guatemalan type has clearly lobed ribs with magenta-fleshed fruits and good sweetness. This is the type that was said to be more frost resistant earlier in the thread.
H. costaricansis is interesting and taste can vary from bland to slighly cucumber to very sour. The deep red flesh is very appealing.

I like Valdivia Roja, Halley's Comet, Voodoo Child, and the Guatemalan ones.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
I am very excited to post my July 2012 update. Not only has my dragon fruit trellis grown like crazy.... but today I went to inspect some  nubs of new growth to discover they were actually the beginnings of some FLOWERS!!!!
This project started January 1st  and  7+ months later and there are flowers. I really didn't expect flowering success this soon. I now am hopeful for a fruit or two.

JAN 1ST, 2012

JULY 23RD, 2012

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:13:26 AM by MarinFla »

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
I am very excited to post my July 2012 update. Not only has my dragon fruit trellis grown like crazy.... but today I went to inspect some  nubs of new growth to discover they were actually the beginnings of some FLOWERS!!!!
This project started January 1st  and  7+ months later and there are flowers. I really didn't expect flowering success this soon. I now am hopeful for a fruit or two.
I'm kinda running in parallel with you, I finished my trellises and planted my Dragon Fruits back in Feb. Got my very first DF bud ever on my Purple Haze. Developing like crazy, the picture is from this last Sunday, and it has grown about a half inch by today (Tuesday).

I just want to see the flower open on the one night that it does.

DM

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »
I have Haley's Comet, PHysical Graffitti and American Beauty in that set up....the flowers are developing on the Physical Graffitti. That fower of yours is a good size. So exciting!

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2012, 05:38:43 PM »
haha i failed over wintering mine :P

Jag

• Zone 8a
  • Zone 8a
    • Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 06:28:29 PM »
I bought a ~12 inch cutting of Physical Graffiti online just over 2 years ago. The first year I was uncertain how much sun I should give it, so I gave it too little and it didn't grow very much. Last year I just put it out in the garden until winter and it exploded with growth. Now I finally have my first flower.

This picture is a couple days old. The flower has now grown a few inches past the ring above it in the image. Just gotta hope it pollinates and maybe I'll get to taste my first ever dragon fruit.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:33:34 PM by Jag »

Jag

• Zone 8a
  • Zone 8a
    • Georgia
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Happened to check my dragon fruit tonight and found this. Didn't realize the blooms would be quite this beautiful in person. Smell reminds me of magnolia flowers.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
A few months ago a friend got a selection of 12 of matts landscapes best hybrids and picked up seeds in china of self fertile giant yellow and sweet vietnamese red.I have about 12 locally available types an my latest acquisition is H.ocamponis and here is a pic of a fruit from the mother plant a few months ago.Forget the camera happy atemoya that horned in on the action.

The plant of ocamponis is extra prickly.

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
My Purple Haze flower opened last night (Saturday). ;D
Here is last evening.

Here is this morning.

If all goes well and it sets fruit, should be ready in early Sept.

DM