Author Topic: what mangoes are in season right now?? My neighbor's tree is chock full  (Read 8874 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: what mangoes are in season right now?? My neighbor's tree is chock full
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2013, 02:07:35 AM »
Great description and pictures, I wish I could still be eating them right now as you are, I'm gonna double my efforts on that antidote.  :)
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »

This mango is unknown from West Park. It is worth waiting all summer to taste it.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »

Above and below my last 6 Keitts hanging in there. Most are all green, 6" long. Without plastic clam shell or other protection the animals (squirrel most likely) would have gotten all of them by now. This is what happened two years ago. Last year I got zero fruits from this keitt tree. Biennial bearer tendencies

Kent below.  3 Kents left on tree and my last Two gold (golden) nugget mangoes were given away to eat yesterday.

Kent below.

Last two photos are a Keitt picked today and eaten today. Soft to the touch and all green outside

« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:31:30 PM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
Interesting....I didn't think Keitt's were as balanced in terms of flavor, but that's probably b/c the ones I have had were from Puerto Rico or somewhere--i think they were selling them at FTBG mango festival for $1
.  I checked with my neighbor and he claims the tree is only 2.5 years old (which is surprising to me b/c as stated before, it's approx 20 ft tall).  He bought it from a nursery on Griffin rd (I believe it was east of university).

Must be spykes grove. I have bought a few mango trees from them  http://www.spykesgrove.com/

They do sell some huge potted mango trees. 100 gallon pot etc. He bought one of those or he just entered the Twilight Zone.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
It wouldn't be a stretcht to say that the 'Keitt' is the king of mangoes, large fruit production, plenty of flesh, thin seed, almost fiberless, and an excellent tree. The only way that the 'Keitt' would be knocked off its perch, is if an 'Edward' like mango, with the same qualities as the 'Keitt' appeared.

By the way, congratulations, you have those 'Keitt' eating squirrels under total control/domination.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
It wouldn't be a stretcht to say that the 'Keitt' is the king of mangoes, large fruit production, plenty of flesh, thin seed, almost fiberless, and an excellent tree. The only way that the 'Keitt' would be knocked off its perch, is if an 'Edward' like mango, with the same qualities as the 'Keitt' appeared.

By the way, congratulations, you have those 'Keitt' eating squirrels under total control/domination.

Thanks!     Full ripe Keitt is very good but even if it was not... It is one of the last mangoes of the Florida mango year so you guard it with animal protection. During peak mango season, not so important to deny the animals unless you have a money making orchard. But at the mango season terminus you try to give the animals nothing.

I lose much more to the 4 legged thieves than the 2 legged

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:53 AM »
Supermarkets are loaded with Keitts here in the DR,  some of the really late season ones can get really big, I have a couple huge ones, one must be pushing 4lbs. but most are in the 2lb range.

quality varies greatly,  from watery to super flavorful guess due to area where it was grown here.  anyway been freezing a lot to use in smoothies later.

Improvements I would like to see in a "Keitt" type mango, would be , a creamier texture, a little less acid, and more color in the skin/flesh  that would make it the perfect commercial mango.   but they are pretty good as is. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk