Author Topic: R Cal mango's more intensely flavored then Fla?  (Read 4773 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: R Cal mango's more intensely flavored then Fla?
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 11:20:33 AM »
Hi Gary
Glad you are doing well, stay safe in the desert. LZ and St are much more intense and flavorful in SoCal than the Florida version I have had.....and I have had dozens of Florida LZ and ST.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 11:58:20 AM »
Hi Gary
Glad you are doing well, stay safe in the desert. LZ and St are much more intense and flavorful in SoCal than the Florida version I have had.....and I have had dozens of Florida LZ and ST.
After we beat this virus! I would love to be able to go to The Fruit of the Gods Festival in Palm Springs Californian. Preferably at a nice resort :)

Hey a fellow can dream can't he ;)
by the by i love Halawi and Khadrawy Dates

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

The daytime high is 108 degrees holy hot lava Batman please postpone this fictitious Festival in my mind until November during date season I request a dozen LZ Juiced and Frozen waiting my arrival. LOL :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 02:51:30 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

wussero

• usa, ca/Southern, oxnard ,10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 07:06:13 PM »
Will find out how this Tim Thompson Tequila Sunrise mango tastes this October.  Its the 4th year of this tree, and this year, big improvement in the soil, and its growing much better.

I got two or three nice fruits.  And I live near the coast in Ventura County.

slopat

• USA, California, central coast, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 08:58:39 PM »
The mangoprofessor seems to have gone offline, anyone know what happened besides having been overwhelmed with orders for a "hobbyist" operation?  Some people here, crfg, etc have managed to plant some of his graphs so curious as to how they are doing.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 12:28:15 PM »
Will find out how this Tim Thompson Tequila Sunrise mango tastes this October.  Its the 4th year of this tree, and this year, big improvement in the soil, and its growing much better.

Flavor was never his primary objective, right?  Cold hardiness, disease resistance, and eye appeal were uppermost?  The old newspaper accounts said he wanted to bring mango production to the area.
John

wussero

• usa, ca/Southern, oxnard ,10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 12:21:05 AM »
I did hear though, people did like this mango, and the Gold coast for taste.  Was pretty good supposedly.  I remember reading somewhere, one person picked it too early, and wasn't very good.  However, they let it rippen and picked it later, and was good. 

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 07:47:27 AM »
So Mark is showing his Texas grown mangoes that are grown in a GREENHOUSE. 

Here are some mangoes griwn in Florida on trees that are planted in the ground with no greenhouse
Aint THEY purdy.

Speaking of crowing ~

Yes, they are purty.  Hell, a monkey with a shovel could plant and grow a decent mango where you live, unless you are an organic purist.  In Texas we have challenges you have no clue about.

For starts mine are in the ground and in a system you guys can't begin to match. Nor can you grow good fruit requiring cold chillin'.  I grow SoCal avocados too that fail in most places of Florida witness Carlos' wonderful trials,  i.e Jan Boyce, Sharwil, Lamb, Pinkerton, Reed....blood oranges and pome fruits that require cold to excel in bottomless RootBuilder.  Trees quickly root into native clay loam.

You have this kind of vigor and success BS Man?  Here's my Reed cut back to a stump March 2018 after a Jan. 2018 heater failure resulting in a low of 18F as recorded IN the greenhouse.   All my mango trees got wiped out but one which now holds Orange Sherbet, Pine. Pleasure and Juicy Peach.

Same Reed 7 months later, October 2018.

Then there's those damn hurricanes.......  ;D

Having said that the only "bad" mango is our store bought mangos.

Glenn, rich and just delish:

Grow hard,
Mark

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:02:05 AM by Mark in Texas »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 07:57:54 AM »
But your LZs are sublime, aren't they, Gary??

FWIW my LZ's are so rich and sweet the wife can't even finish half of one I serve up, it's just too much for her.  Am also fortunate  to not have to worry about that bad ass disease Florida is plagued with with LZ.

What's left of LZ and a Sugar pitaya.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »

IMO that tree is not ready to hold those fruits. I know it hurts cause you just gotta try it but I'd drop 'em all and concentrate on the root system.  Your success is dictated by the quality and mass of the root system......period.  Once you get that down pat the rest will follow.

For example, when planting trees in my super tight clay soil I make sure I fracture the glazed sides and bottom with whatever I'm doing - 2' deep subsoiler on a tractor, hand held pick ax, breaker bar, etc. and NEVER amend the backfill in such soils. I always drench the root system with a mychorrizae fungi at the time of planting.  FWIW, I have hand planted at least 10,000 trees since I moved to this hay field in 2005.

Change gears, speaking of those nasty Texas challenges again. This year it's an epidemic of grasshoppers which have stripped everything in our area..... and mealybugs in the greenhouse.  I keep a qt. spray mix of permethrin for the greenhouse.  Knocks them dead in 1 minute.  Here's a nice crop of bugs enjoying a Pickering.   ::)  I just wipe them off.  They don't hurt the fruit quality.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
Mark I had a Tick ranch in Green City Missouri that had soil that looked a lot like yours. Will it stick to your boots or your shovel when wet? Do you have any locust trees planted LOL :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2020, 07:00:01 AM »
Mark I had a Tick ranch in Green City Missouri that had soil that looked a lot like yours. Will it stick to your boots or your shovel when wet? Do you have any locust trees planted LOL :)

It's a red clay loam.  Sticky and slippery to stand on when wet, hard as concrete when dry.   Calcareous but full of minerals.   Stuff grows crazy in it if the ground is prepped right.

Locust?  No thank you!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2020, 05:09:18 PM »

It's a red clay loam.  Sticky and slippery to stand on when wet, hard as concrete when dry.   Calcareous but full of minerals.   Stuff grows crazy in it if the ground is prepped right.

Locust?  No thank you!
With clay a little loam is a good thing. I'm glad you're not cursed with the honey locust. With honey locus all you can do with those is cut them off at the ground and spray them with Spike stump killer. Then push them into the waterways and hope you don't get a flat tire on your tractor. After that keep your pastor mowed.

ps We only raised Lone Star ticks LOL
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:19:42 PM by bovine421 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk