Author Topic: Best tasting mango varieties  (Read 6517 times)

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
Best tasting mango varieties
« on: August 05, 2020, 05:50:36 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I am writing this thread because Ibwould love to know what are your favorite mango varieties tto eat. It is very overwhelming to see the amount of endless varieties there are to find. I grestly believe that there are things in life that we all can agree and anybody can feel the taste of an amazing mango. From my short experience, the Mexican Manila is my absolute favorite. It has the taste of a CocaCola, but even better. Like a vanilla flavor. What I'm trying to say is that your opinion will be considered and trusted 100%. I am planning on planting several mango trees and I want the best of the best in terms of taste.  Thank you very much in advance

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mango varieties
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:06:17 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I am writing this thread because I would love to know what are your favorite mango varieties to eat. It is very overwhelming to see the amount of endless varieties there are to find. I greatly believe that there are things in life that we all can agree and anybody can feel the taste of an amazing mango. From my short experience, the Mexican Manila is my absolute favorite. It has the taste of a CocaCola, but even better. Like a vanilla flavor. What I'm trying to say is that your opinion will be considered and trusted 100%. I am planning on planting several mango trees and I want the best of the best in terms of taste.  Thank you very much in advance
Oh, newbie, so innocent.  You don't know our forum members!  The only thing everybody agrees on is: GROW MORE FRUIT TREES.  That being said, most everybody likes Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, and Sugarloaf.  Dot is generally well liked, and Carrie you either love or you hate.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:22:28 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »
I recommend you try Graham West Indian profile I like it

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »
I recommend you try Graham West Indian profile I like it

I've heard good things.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 11:27:40 AM »
Graham....🤢💩🤦‍♂️
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
U also might want to try Diamond some say it is a real treat :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I am writing this thread because I would love to know what are your favorite mango varieties to eat. It is very overwhelming to see the amount of endless varieties there are to find. I greatly believe that there are things in life that we all can agree and anybody can feel the taste of an amazing mango. From my short experience, the Mexican Manila is my absolute favorite. It has the taste of a CocaCola, but even better. Like a vanilla flavor. What I'm trying to say is that your opinion will be considered and trusted 100%. I am planning on planting several mango trees and I want the best of the best in terms of taste.  Thank you very much in advance
Oh, newbie, so innocent.  You don't know our forum members!  The only thing everybody agrees on is: GROW MORE FRUIT TREES.  That being said, most everybody likes Lemon Zest, Sweet Tart, and Sugarloaf.  Dot is generally well liked, and Carrie you either love or you hate.

John I am deeply grateful for your response, as I find it very useful. Well at least know I know a little bit of you now. I am figuring out how this forum works and I will make an introduction thread abour myself later. Also, are those varieties polyembronic?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:46:57 PM by Carloscelis »

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 12:39:08 PM »
Graham....🤢💩🤦‍♂️

Ok thank you next Graham! Thank you fro sharing that!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
Graham....🤢💩🤦‍♂️

Chris Wenzel (Truly Tropical) says underripe Graham is good to excellent, and is a good substitute for Julie in Florida. DO NOT EAT THEM TOO RIPE!  Rob, do you hate Julie, too?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:43:26 PM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 04:39:32 PM »
Yes Graham or Grammy in West Indian lingo is excellent I would also recommend you try Buxton spice

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:44:25 PM by bovine421 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:05 PM »
 :(

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »
Graham....🤢💩🤦‍♂️

Chris Wenzel (Truly Tropical) says underripe Graham is good to excellent, and is a good substitute for Julie in Florida. DO NOT EAT THEM TOO RIPE!  Rob, do you hate Julie, too?

Saying an underrippe fruit is excellent is a problem right there.  A good fruit speaks for itself.

Julie is better than Graham and Carrie.  There are far better mangoes than all three.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
I like Graham but my wife would agree with that statement that Julie is better than Graham but then again she was named after Julie. If you ask her what dessert mango would you like to have after a Julie it would probably be Sweet tart or Dot. Next season if we get a chance to taste LZ that may be added to that list. :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:43:55 PM by bovine421 »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 06:15:50 PM »
Brad Spaugh

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 06:20:18 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Why you say that?

Was a joke come on
It's no diamond* LOL but I have heard if it is properly ripened and not store bought it can be good! :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 06:21:58 PM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »
Tommy Atkins
Why you say that?

Was a joke come on

Not sure about such a joke, a properly ripened Tommy Atkins may just very well be better than a Graham.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 06:26:03 PM »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 06:35:21 PM »
As far as Tommy Atkins goes....... There is a mango grower in Palm Beach County. I went to his place five years ago to buy a large gallon Supreme Loquat tree from him. He mentioned he was 80 years old. May God bless, I hope he is still around. He had some avocado trees but mostly mango trees. He really knew grafting and was in the process off grafting lots of X mango scions onto a tree looked 25 years old.

As I drove into his ops  the first two trees / large and in the front/ on the left hand side/old trees were Tommy Atkins. I asked him directly about Tommy ....He said they are  good sellers, and I believe him with all the red Tommy coloration..
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:30:48 AM by zands »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 07:20:14 PM »
I am soy so soy for being facetious about Diamond mango but in my mind it must be the best it's a Fairchild Diamond! The fruit of the Gods but I've been told it taste like kimchi :-*

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:30:48 PM by bovine421 »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »
I would love to taste a tree ripened tommy atkins from a tree in south FL...wonder if it actually has some taste compared to the store bought ones

My favorite mango variety would be lemon zest.

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »
I am soy so soy for being facetious about Diamond mango but in my mind it must be the best it's a diamond the fruit of the Gods but I've been told it taste like kimchi

Woww!! I feel like a want to try the Diamond!! O feel like I am going to love them!! The ones that stand out the most for me are Manila, Kent, Keitt and Ataulfo.. Being Manila my all time favorite, but I have only tried maybe 5 more varieties and thats it, so I know theres a whole world to discover. What are the varieties that are even better than those ones??

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
Graham....🤢💩🤦‍♂️

Saying an underrippe fruit is excellent is a problem right there.  A good fruit speaks for itself.

Julie is better than Graham and Carrie.  There are far better mangoes than all three.

Which ones??

Carloscelis

• Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »
I would love to taste a tree ripened tommy atkins from a tree in south FL...wonder if it actually has some taste compared to the store bought ones

My favorite mango variety would be lemon zest.

It must be an amazing variety. From what I have researched it always stands out! I am definitely going to plant a Lemon zest!