Author Topic: Albino White Sapote and mango germination questions  (Read 1214 times)

Agave muricana

• Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Albino White Sapote and mango germination questions
« on: March 20, 2016, 02:31:45 PM »
Hey all,

I had the opportunity to collect a whole bunch of white sapote seeds from my neighbor, both from rotted fruit and ones I picked to ripen. I had a small bucket full of seed and basically cleaned them all off and planted them in a large container to do mass germination and get some winners. Many of them have come up, and I had a few that have white-yellowish leaves lacking chlorophyll.

Has anyone else experienced this before with leaves being white? Do they eventually start greening up or will the plant eventually just die? I actually want to try and save these seedlings because it would be unique and cool to have a variegated sapote that would otherwise not exist. The plan is to use Inosculation and fuse the stem while it is still somewhat soft with a larger, faster growing variety. I can't graft and will never be able to in my life, so can't use that option. I plan to use some of that green grafting tape material and maybe wrap tightly around both stems to keep them close together.

The way I see this working: The albino plant can survive maybe for a few more months solely on reserves from the seed. I am assuming that. So that means that in only a short time, I need to get the green plant to really grow like crazy and gain some stem girth in order to put pressure and fuse the stems. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on how they would go about this process, or if you even think it is possible. Could I use some type of plant hormone to keep juvenility and slow growth?

Also, I have some mango seeds that I extracted for use in this project: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19033.msg237103#msg237103

If you look closely you can see the roots coming out in a way perpendicular to the main seed laying flat. Does anyone know the right way to plant a mango seed? Do I plant this thing vertically or laying flat in the soil? Also, even though the seeds are turning black, are they still good? I see that happen a lot where the mango seeds turn black in a lot of places. Also, to germinate these seeds I took the lazy route and as soon as they were extracted they have been sitting in a glass of water on the kitchen table for 2 weeks with water changes.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Albino White Sapote and mango germination questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
White ones always die. I too thought I might be able tokeep the white ones alive when I first got into fruit trees but they all die as soon as they use  up the seed reserves. I think the whole reason being they don't produce clorophyl so if you merge two trees an albino and green the green one would infuse some clorophyl onto the white one so would maybe end up green like the other tree? Would be nice if you could get a giant white tree though.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Albino White Sapote and mango germination questions
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:40:05 PM »
Hump up is the position that's best for the mango seed to reduce bending of the root and stem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk