Author Topic: Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch  (Read 13957 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »
Two more mango descriptions!

Pineapple Pleasure definitely is a keeper, extremely sweet yet VERY tart! And yes, a detectable Pineapple flavor!

The Fruit Punch Mango was similar in color, size and taste to the Pineapple Pleasure but had a resinous first taste, and a wide range of flavor..

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Pineapple Pleasure, Fruit Punch
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:35:26 PM »
seems there's a mango for each mood.

today I'll go with ... this giant Tommy Atkins I found from a 30ft tree in zone 9b.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
So Fruit Punch was very tart also ?  Wouldn't associate fruit punch flavor with being tart nor resinous.

From your descriptions, both would hit the reject pile for me (I don't like any of the Zill creations that are tart).  Did either have a chalky/pasty component to them ?
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
So Fruit Punch was very tart also ?  Wouldn't associate fruit punch flavor with being tart nor resinous.

From your descriptions, both would hit the reject pile for me (I don't like any of the Zill creations that are tart).  Did either have a chalky/pasty component to them ?

I'm all over that chalk taste u r talking about...

which cultivars do u associate with this taste?

I don't hate the taste, but can't remember where I've had it.  at least 4 or more mangoes have had this taste and I remember most being green/yellow.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
Fruit Punch was slightly tart, neither had the starchy taste to them.  If you are not a fan of a tart mango the PP is definitely not one for you..
I must say I REALLY enjoyed the Pineapple Pleasure! It was maybe the best mango I have eaten all season so far.. But I do like tart flavor!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
I haven't had the Pineapple Pleasure but I had the Fruit Punch a few years ago and I remember liking the flavor but I also remember there being some fiber in the mango. Did you notice fiber in the Fruit Punch?

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 02:43:23 PM »
A little fiber in both around the seed. Huge enough to make up for the loss though.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 05:11:35 PM by pj1881 »

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
Fruit Punch is decent. Its a Zill-80 seedling. Pretty mango too.

I like Pineapple Pleasure also. Its basically a fiberless Springfels.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 09:28:29 PM »

I don't hate the taste, but can't remember where I've had it.  at least 4 or more mangoes have had this taste and I remember most being green/yellow.
For some reason a lot of Zill's "creations" had it last year (some due to underripeness and some due to what I think was a poor crop), specifically Candy, Pina Colada, NDMxVP,  While I have not had any of Zill's mangoes this year, I have probably eaten in excess of 40 different varieties so far and have only detected it in a Zill (the actual Zill variety, not one of their recent creations).
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
Right

I notice this in under ripe mangoes really...or ones picked early?

Have you tasted some of the merrit island mangoes??

if not you gotta taste some!

thanks for info Rob.

For some reason a lot of Zill's "creations" had it last year (some due to underripeness and some due to what I think was a poor crop), specifically Candy, Pina Colada, NDMxVP,  While I have not had any of Zill's mangoes this year, I have probably eaten in excess of 40 different varieties so far and have only detected it in a Zill (the actual Zill variety, not one of their recent creations).
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »

This is a Pineapple Pleasure Mango (still unripe) that is twice the size of a Pickering..

I plucked out my Pina Colada today to install a 7 Gallon Pineapple Pleasure.. They taste somewhat similar but the PP is much larger and the mild amount of fiber slightly resembles the texture of Pineapple..

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »
Im affraid to blink, lest I miss the next mango  ???

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »

Not to worry, BMc....if you blink and  miss one we'll make sure you are properly brought into the know as these new cultivars proliferate.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 07:54:45 PM »

Not to worry, BMc....if you blink and  miss one we'll make sure you are properly brought into the know as these new cultivars proliferate.

Harry

I'm sure that some of these will stand the test of time and in a decade the ones that are still at the top will be brought over here. Then all of you with rediculously productive trees can laugh at me when I have a 3 foot tall tree producing its first fruit saying 'Wow, this mango is almost as good as KP!'  :P

NedNickerson

• Northern Illinois, for now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
I almost missed this thread  :-X

I thought it was a misplaced discussion of punch recipes.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 08:19:34 PM »
Just in case it turns out better, don't call it KP though  ;D ;D ;D

...I'm sure that some of these will stand the test of time and in a decade the ones that are still at the top will be brought over here. Then all of you with rediculously productive trees can laugh at me when I have a 3 foot tall tree producing its first fruit saying 'Wow, this mango is almost as good as KP!'   :P
Tim

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Whoo hoo! Thanks for the descriptions.

Funnily, the creamy/chalky/starchy texture is preferred by both my wife and me. It reminds us both of eating mango ice cream. The chalky/creamy texture is part what makes the appropriately named Ice Cream mango so good.
Jeff  :-)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 09:17:57 PM »

This is a Pineapple Pleasure Mango (still unripe) that is twice the size of a Pickering..

I plucked out my Pina Colada today to install a 7 Gallon Pineapple Pleasure.. They taste somewhat similar but the PP is much larger and the mild amount of fiber slightly resembles the texture of Pineapple..

That's a heck of a mango!  I still believe I have the first Pineapple Pleasure Mango tree planted at a residence.  Thanks Patrick.  Hopefully my tree will have mangos in a year.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
Whoo hoo! Thanks for the descriptions.

Funnily, the creamy/chalky/starchy texture is preferred by both my wife and me. It reminds us both of eating mango ice cream. The chalky/creamy texture is part what makes the appropriately named Ice Cream mango so good.
Funny, I do not find the Ice Cream mango to be like this at all...creamy, maybe but definitely not chalky (if picked "ripe").
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
That's a heck of a mango!  I still believe I have the first Pineapple Pleasure Mango tree planted at a residence.  Thanks Patrick.  Hopefully my tree will have mangos in a year.

You may be correct but Gary plants most of these trees out at his house also and not just at the nursery so I guess that would be considered a residence also. Non-Zills residence, you may be the first. Even then, some of his new trees he has given to people to plant at their houses a few years before they are released to the public but those people don't let anyone know. So it'd be safe to say that your Pineapple Pleasure was at least one of the first 10 to be planted at a residence.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »

Patrick, did one of those over sized Pineapple Pleasures hit you in the head ?  ;) ;D :P
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »

Any idea of the fruiting "productivity" of the Pineapple Pleasure tree? 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 12:43:17 AM »

If you blink in Australia you get yet another version of KP or Bowen. If you blink in Florida you get yet another mango that sounds like an ice cream flavor.  ;) Does Gary Zill spend a lot of time lifting flavor names at Baskin and Robbins?  ;D
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 02:12:36 AM »

If you blink in Australia you get yet another version of KP or Bowen. If you blink in Florida you get yet another mango that sounds like an ice cream flavor.  ;) Does Gary Zill spend a lot of time lifting flavor names at Baskin and Robbins?  ;D

I am beginning to think that Floridians dont really like mangoes at all. What with the Lemon Zest, Pinapple Pleasure, Pina Colada, Pizza Pocket, Micorwave Pie and Coke, Chocolate Pop Tart mangoes.  ;D

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 06:23:01 PM »
I got to taste Fruit Punch, aka M-14 on Friday.  I thought it was very good, as did my better half.  A nice full-flavored mango, with just the right bit of tart behind lots of sweet.

For perspective, a perfect Florida Minneola tastes divine to me.   A California Minneola, though prettier, is too tart for my delicate sensibility.

I would put Fruit Punch in the same general catagory as Edgar, Dot, and Pina Colada.   Granted Pina Colada can be more intense, but they all say Zill family to me.

This was my first visit to Zill's HP since Dr. Will's class many moons ago. And it wasn't scary; a very nice gentleman sold me the M-14 mangos.   He didn't seem to think that Gary was planning to propagate Edgar for sale. That made me sad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk