Author Topic: some information on the rare Mesta variety of Purple Mangosteen  (Read 4872 times)

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Buah Mesta (Garcinia mangoestana) is a special cultivar of mangosteen that is believed to originate from Temerloh, Pahang, in peninsular Malaysia. It is now being propagated commercially by a few growers. Buah Mesta has some differences from standard mangosteen (Manggis) in terms of several morphological characteristics.

According to commercial mesta entrepreneur Mr. Shuabib from Kg Paya Pasir, Maran, Pahang, mesta trees are usually slightly smaller and lower than regular mangosteen trees. Generally there are a greater number of branches on the tree. Mesta fruit are a little bit more oval shaped with a pointy tapering end under them; not a stocky round shape like regular mangosteen.

When looking inside the fruits, it is almost uniformly commented that mesta has nothing like the large seeds found in regular mangosteen. Typically it has 6 cloves of fresh white substance with a very sweet taste. Most special about this fruit is it only has a little resin which can stain your hands or clothes, even from freshly picked fruit. (The resin from a mangosteen fruit is yellow)

Mesta is harvested from the orchards in Maran when the season arrives, and fetches a slightly higher price, despite the season usually being the same as the harvest for ordinary mangosteen. Mesta fruit in 2016 began to ripen in July and were sold at a farm price of around RM 8.00 per kg compared with regular mangosteen at around Rm 4.00 - 5.00 per kg. Mesta fruit is highly favored by those who have purchased it.

Mesta in terms of form generally resembles the overall form of standard mangosteen. If one is less familiar with the particular differences of Mesta, they need to look carefully at the shape of the fruit first. Mesta fruit is more oval-shaped, with a nose at the bottom, and have stacks of white filling inside which are uniform in size and with less seeds. In contrast, standard mangosteen fruit has a mainly flat round shape underneath, and there tend to be large white segments, which contain seeds, next to smaller more flattened segments. The edible segments of flesh inside Mesta are uniform in size.

("bentuk" just means shape)

During the growing season Mesta trees are very uniform and dense in fruit, until a few branches break. This is one of the features of a Mesta tree, at 4 years old there will be a lot of fruit that causes broken branches. Regular mangosteen trees have less cases of branch breakage.

Another feature of Mesta can be found at the bottom of the fruit. There are 6 (sometimes 7) petals on the button, whereas regular mangosteen has 5.

Mesta also has a bit larger brownish-green petals on the top where the stalk comes out, between 1-2cm depending on the size of the fruit.

For those who want to eat the Mesta variety of mangosteen, you can visit Maran, Temerloh, Raub, Lipis, or Jeranut, because the area is reported to have mesta tree planting. The trees in this area can bear fruit after 4 years of growth by merging seedlings, grafting them together into a single tree trunk.

translated from Malay
original article written by M. Anem, senior agronomist at Bukit Goh Agricultural Center, Kuantan, Pahang, Malaysia

original source: http://animhosnan.blogspot.com/2016/08/mesta-buah-berharga.html?m=1
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:27:15 AM by SoCal2warm »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: some information on the rare Mesta variety of Purple Mangosteen
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:48:55 AM »
Mesta or masta are a little cleaner or neater and have a little less gambage, Mostly this description sounds correct but I don't think they are sweeter. There is quite a bit of genetic diversity in mangosteens and mesta is one of the few that is phenotypically distinctive from standards with identifiable characteristics that can be seen by most people. The large and small leafed Borneo types and large pointy fruited borneo type are also distinctive physically and these are rarer than mesta and also have fewer seeds. The large fruited borneo type is almost seedless. The success   of the more common mangosteen (which is probably a few lines) probably has more to do with producing more seeds (inclusion bodies) and being more widely dispersed earlier.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »
I am wondering whether the Jolo type is the same cultivar as Borneo. It's supposed to have thicker pericarp, bigger seeds, and more sour in flavor than regular mangosteen.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
Fruit looks good !

These are my test tube Mangosteen Seedlings .

Zone 10

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Ed,

I don't think those are mangosteen seedlings

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 06:23:44 PM »
Got them on eBay , They kinda look like Soursop seeds, ..
Don't know until they loose the shell.
Zone 10

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 03:28:55 AM »
Those are definitely not mangosteen seeds/seedlings.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 03:32:05 AM »
My 30 month old 'Mesta' mangosteen seedling. I bought it near Raub,Malaysia.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 03:33:51 AM »
Those mesta in a previous pic look a bit too pointed to be typical mesta. The really pointed borneo type is more acid than others and have a more prominent and proud star that is smaller.It looks more like those.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »

That banana next to mangosteen is stealing water and nutrition.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:44 PM »

That banana next to mangosteen is stealing water and nutrition.
Good observation!
Zone 10

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »
Here I am just thankful and glad I have a purple and lemon drop mangosteen.

I long for the day I have multiple varieties of them.

One can dream.  :)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »
DL and Ed, It does not matter, the banana is there to provide shade for the mangosteen. Both are provided more than enough fert. and water!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »
Just take a spade to the ground that side of the banana every so often, and it's roots will become amazing nutrition in the soil for the mangosteen.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 04:34:14 AM »
Thank you VG. Excellent suggestion!!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 10:54:51 AM »
Welcome.  I use dwarf Cavendish for this all the time.  Shade and an organic soil conditioner.

Banana roots aerate the soil well and uniformly.  Those thick, soft, nutrient siphoning roots are jam packed with with goodness.  They reduce heavy soil moisture and help prevent root rot in nearby woody trees sensitive to wet feet.  Once the trimmed roots decompose, they be of great benefit, and not to worry--your banana will put them right back within a few months.  I usually make the chop about 6-12 inches from the base of the banana so as not to damage extending roots of the younger trees.

Eventually the tree matures and doesn't nees the shade protection, and you simply dig up the banana and use it at another location for the same purpose.  Coop gardening.  :)