Author Topic: MIni Yard Update (OK, maybe not so mini anymore)........1/19/2013 & 1/26/2013  (Read 25497 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Mangoes and lychees have center stage at my place.  Here's what a few look like at the moment:

Hak Ip Lychee

Mauritius Lychee

Extrema Mango

Angie mango

Okrung Mango

Grafted Kai Maprang from Frankie's Nursery

It is having a secondary bloom after being in full bloom for a couple of weeks.  I didn't see any fruit set until:

Edited to correct Maprang from Wan to Kai.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:05:30 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: MIni Yard Update........1/19/2013
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:11:44 PM »
Great pics! Hope your maprang keeps the fruit. Looks like you will have a decent mango crop this year.  :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:14:45 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »
With the lack of cold so far this season I was worried about the Lychee bloom but your trees seem to be doing pretty well. My Hak Ip tree is blooming fairly nicely but the other types are not.

Tony

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
Nice pictures, I noticed a zillion little Angies on that tree  :o
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Nice blooming and fruit set.... I need a second blooming for a good mango season. Am hoping for one.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »
Wow Harry, your trees look incredible, I'd hate to have pollen allergies around there!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 01:41:04 AM »
Harry

Looks like another sensational year! June is just around the corner.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »
Nice pics Harry!
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:03:40 AM »
Wow Harry, so much bloom going on over there.  Strangely in sharp contrast to what I have going on .... I have very limited mango bloom, and Zero Lychee .

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »
I find it most amazing ;) ;D is that you have what seems to be a dead citrus tree in front of your Hak Ip holding a ripe fruit...
- Rob

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
I love your trees!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
With the lack of cold so far this season I was worried about the Lychee bloom but your trees seem to be doing pretty well. My Hak Ip tree is blooming fairly nicely but the other types are not.

Tony

Same thing at my buddy George's place...his Hakip Lychee is fully loaded with blooms but not so much with his other Lychees
FloridaGreenMan

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:35:56 PM »
I find it most amazing ;) ;D is that you have what seems to be a dead citrus tree in front of your Hak Ip holding a ripe fruit...

Well sir, I find it quite amazing that you don't see life in my Satsuma Madarin var. Owari.  In fact, if you look closely, you'll see two fruits still on the tree.  They were both picked and eaten today and were actually quite good.  So I accept your apologies, in advance, for calling my tree dead when it was only in devastating decline.  You need to pay more attention to these details.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words. 
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:49:09 PM »

Well sir, I find it quite amazing that you don't see life in my Satsuma Madarin var. Owari.  In fact, if you look closely, you'll see two fruits still on the tree.  They were both picked and eaten today and were actually quite good.  So I accept your apologies, in advance, for calling my tree dead when it was only in devastating decline.  You need to pay more attention to these details.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words.
Counselor, while I did overlook that second hint of orange which was your second fruit, you have overlooked the facts...if you read again, you will see I did say, "what seems to be a dead citrus tree", and the key word is "seems"..so, the apologies that I am sure you will wish to direct MY way are accepted in advance and no need to reiterate.  With this, I shall rest and I believe this case is closed.

Oh, the ruling...go out there and either save that Satsuma or replace it with something a little more hardy (I purposefully left out the option of planting a dragon fruit at the base of the tree cause, well, I am not a fan of the Pitaya).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:01:20 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
thanks for sharing!

congrats on the maprang.  It looks like it would be easy to fruit in a container...I'm surprised how red the small fruit is!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 11:06:02 PM »
I know where to go to buy okrung mangoes and hack ip lychee this year :-). How has the productivity of Mrs Angie been for you? What was last year's crop like?
Jeff  :-)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »
nice work Harry....or perhaps staying out of the way and letting mother NAture
do her thing!

Puglvr showed a pick of one tree that flowered profusely (her Glenn) but hardly
set any fruits if any at all.  She thinks maybe the warm weather had something to
do with it...

Does your opinion align with hers (in general of course -  :-\ ) with this respect to warm
weather heading into the blooming season?

gary

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 08:26:19 AM »
How has the productivity of Mrs Angie been for you? What was last year's crop like?

I've been quite impressed with Angie on just about all fronts.  The tree is still relatively small. Trying to remember when it was planted. I think I got it from the Fairchild Festival 3 years ago (some forum moderator type will fact check me back to Garden Web and let me know if I am off on this). Anyway, the tree has produced, for at least two years, very nice crops.......given the small size of the tree. The flowering has been consistent, the fruit set (without spraying) has been very good, the disease resistance has been great, and most of all the eating quality of the fruit is superb.....one of the very best.  The tree was about half its present size last year and I think it produced about 10 large and luscious fruits.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:53 AM »
Puglvr showed a pick of one tree that flowered profusely (her Glenn) but hardly
set any fruits if any at all.  She thinks maybe the warm weather had something to
do with it...
Does your opinion align with hers with this respect to warm
weather heading into the blooming season?
gary

My thoughts on the current mango season are evolving and I am not in a position to fully agree with or disagree with anything or anyone. Over the years I have grown mangoes with impunity.  I didn't pay all that much attention to some of these details. Since I joined these fruit forum crowds, I have begun to look at, think about and even chronicle all these different growing conditions and their effects on crops.  What I can say about this year, so far, is that it isn't like any year in recent memory. In some years we have had cool or cold and dry weather predominate.  This led to lots of powdery mildew.  It was clearly visible......almost like a white/gray frosting on the bloom pannicles. In other years we have had wet and warm weather and that kept the powdery mildew at bay, but the anthracnose ran rampant.  This year we had a brief cold spell, early, and then very warm, but more dry weather than we have had in the recent past (at least when it was warm). Flowering, at least on some trees, has definitely been affected by the lack of cold and abundance of warmth.  Interestingly, some mangoes like Rosiegold, which usually require spraying to get any crop at all, have set a reasonable amount of fruit without spraying. There ares still many fruitlets that have the black anthracnose spotting, but not all fruits were affected, as has occurred in the past.  Also, Ice Cream, which has a terrible setting fruit at my house, is going to have a crop when in past years there has been little or none.

In conclusion...although not fully concluded, my best theory is that the warmth should help with fruit set (pollen active and more pollinators present) rather than limit fruit set.  I think there might be something else going on on trees that don't set fruits under these warm conditions. I have some of these, by the way.  Alphonso, in its own inimitable way, is not setting any fruits again..... even though I see no obvious fungal pathogens on the tree.  I haven't done a complete survey of all my trees.  I have to look closer at my Glenn and report further.  I do not see very much fruit set on Imam Pasand. However it is only flowering for the first time.  I'll go do some more analysis when I get some time.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
Harry, what mango varieties would you say for sure, are the most trouble free, regular bearers, that you have ? 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
Harry, what mango varieties would you say for sure, are the most trouble free, regular bearers, that you have ?

If you are asking about the champion producers year in and year out at my house, without regard to eating experience, I would include the following:

Tommy Atkins, Florigon, Pickering, Nam Doc Mai See Tong (Sia Tong), Brahm KaI Mea (Meu), Rataul, Dian Guaw (something that I have that is probably mis-named but has not been further identified), and Keow Savoy.  That would be my top of the top tier.  Angie is a possible addition to this club.  Just below these would be the next group that are very productive and relatively carefree.  They would include:

Beverly, Carrie, Chou Anon (consistant, just not everbearing as advertised at my house), Glenn, Duncan, Maha Chanok, Golden Nugget,  Extrema, Graham, Irwin, Philippine, Southern Blush, Kent, Jean Ellen, Tebow (Young), Parvin, Palmer, Cogshall, Po Pyo Kalay, Tong Dam,  Van Dyke, Vallanato, Valencia Pride, Neelam, Nam Doc Mai, Hatcher, Thai Everbearing, and Keitt.

I think that covers it....as best as I can remember, anyway.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 02:58:47 PM »
Thanks for this, Harry. This is excellent. How are the gold nuggets in your soil? I had a couple from zands (couple miles away from me) that were extremely good.

If you are asking about the champion producers year in and year out at my house, without regard to eating experience, I would include the following:

Tommy Atkins, Florigon, Pickering, Nam Doc Mai See Tong (Sia Tong), Brahm KaI Mea (Meu), Rataul, Dian Guaw (something that I have that is probably mis-named but has not been further identified), and Keow Savoy.  That would be my top of the top tier.  Angie is a possible addition to this club.  Just below these would be the next group that are very productive and relatively carefree.  They would include:

Beverly, Carrie, Chou Anon (consistant, just not everbearing as advertised at my house), Glenn, Duncan, Maha Chanok, Golden Nugget,  Extrema, Graham, Irwin, Philippine, Southern Blush, Kent, Jean Ellen, Tebow (Young), Parvin, Palmer, Cogshall, Po Pyo Kalay, Tong Dam,  Van Dyke, Vallanato, Valencia Pride, Neelam, Nam Doc Mai, Hatcher, Thai Everbearing, and Keitt.

Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
How are the gold nuggets in your soil? I had a couple from zands (couple miles away from me) that were extremely good.

I would call them good on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale. They produce consistently and later in the season and have a nice flavor and fiber-less flesh.  In this mango snob crowd we hang around with here on the forum they will not be considered a top tier mango, but in the real world, they're pretty darned good.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 07:47:30 PM »
Here is an update of Harry's yard from around 3 years ago to compare: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg02214143673.html

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 08:40:42 PM »
Hi Harry, Any chance you can arrange this list according to your taste preference? 

Any body else that has tasted some or all on this, list please chime in too. 

I've only tasted a few of these, but I have eight of these planted out...

JC