Author Topic: MIni Yard Update (OK, maybe not so mini anymore)........1/19/2013 & 1/26/2013  (Read 25615 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: MIni Yard Update........1/19/2013
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »
Hope the maprang holds for you. When mine held fruit about 6 or so fruit set and then they slowly thinned themselves down to one. Your tree looks like it is putting on some nice sice. Both of mine got badly damaged by the freeze before I got my GH up. Both will survive but there definitely won't be any fruit for me this season.

natsgarden123

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »
Harry, what mango varieties would you say for sure, are the most trouble free, regular bearers, that you have ?

If you are asking about the champion producers year in and year out at my house, without regard to eating experience, I would include the following:

Tommy Atkins, Florigon, Pickering, Nam Doc Mai See Tong (Sia Tong), Brahm KaI Mea (Meu), Rataul, Dian Guaw (something that I have that is probably mis-named but has not been further identified), and Keow Savoy.  That would be my top of the top tier.  Angie is a possible addition to this club.  Just below these would be the next group that are very productive and relatively carefree.  They would include:

Beverly, Carrie, Chou Anon (consistant, just not everbearing as advertised at my house), Glenn, Duncan, Maha Chanok, Golden Nugget,  Extrema, Graham, Irwin, Philippine, Southern Blush, Kent, Jean Ellen, Tebow (Young), Parvin, Palmer, Cogshall, Po Pyo Kalay, Tong Dam,  Van Dyke, Vallanato, Valencia Pride, Neelam, Nam Doc Mai, Hatcher, Thai Everbearing, and Keitt.

I think that covers it....as best as I can remember, anyway.

Baileys Marvel ?  :)

I'm beyond jealous of your gorgeous collection.

Is your Tommy Atkins blooming well this year?  The huge tree by my office has bloomed very well, at least for the last 5 years. And it has produced a ton of fruit. This year there are only some sporadic blooms way up top.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
Where does okrung fit in there? I remember you saying it was a strong producer at your pad.
Jeff  :-)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
Baileys Marvel ?  :)

Great mango, but finicky...at my house anyway.  Good bloomer, but poor fruit setter here out west in the east everglades.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 08:22:47 PM »
Is your Tommy Atkins blooming well this year?  The huge tree by my office has bloomed very well, at least for the last 5 years. And it has produced a ton of fruit. This year there are only some sporadic blooms way up top.

I only have a small token Tommy Atkins....just for the sake of completeness of collection.  However, my neighbors have 7 of them.  The trees have a bloomed, but somewhat sporadically.  But from what I can see, there will still be good fruit set.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »
Where does okrung fit in there? I remember you saying it was a strong producer at your pad.

Oops....Okrung is a candidate for elite status as well.  I have always had good crops except for last year. There was a crop, but it was not heavy as it usually is.  This year it will return to heavy production. It is a carefree producer and one of my favorite mangoes to dehydrate.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
Hi Harry, Any chance you can arrange this list according to your taste preference? 

No, no chance at all.  First, because my preference would differ from year to year and from fruit to fruit.  Second, my preferences might not be yours or anyone else's.  I bought the mango trees I bought because someone, whom I thought was of sufficient knowledge and experience, thought that the fruit was of excellent eating quality. You should try them to rate them for yourself.  You have an  invitation to stop by during mango season to do taste testing.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 06:43:06 AM »
Damn! 

And I'm guessing that "someone" was you...

Fair enough, I guess I'll just have to wait until a tasting season...

Many thanks Counselor.

Hi Harry, Any chance you can arrange this list according to your taste preference? 

No, no chance at all.  First, because my preference would differ from year to year and from fruit to fruit.  Second, my preferences might not be yours or anyone else's.  I bought the mango trees I bought because someone, whom I thought was of sufficient knowledge and experience, thought that the fruit was of excellent eating quality. You should try them to rate them for yourself.  You have an  invitation to stop by during mango season to do taste testing.
JC

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
Hi Harry,
Always great to see your slice of paradise...Looks like it's going to be a prosperous mango and lychee year for you 8)

Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 07:39:37 AM »
Harry's space is simply amazing.  A standard bearer of excellence.  Thanks for sharing man.

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
No posts on this forum are more inspirational/jealousy-inducing than yours, Harry! I can't wait to see all the fruit pics in a few months. [drools]

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »
Harry (and the others who've tried the angie), what is the level of acidity in the angie? Is it more of a 'sweet' mango or a sweet and tart mango?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »
Harry (and the others who've tried the angie), what is the level of acidity in the angie? Is it more of a 'sweet' mango or a sweet and tart mango?
Sorry Cookie Man, its sweet.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
Jeff,

I have only tasted Angie once at Harry’s.  I believe Clint brought them.  I am not sure how helpful this will be to you but I remember it being very good.  I do not remember thinking it had any zing.  As a rule, I do not like things that are solely sweet.  I like a blend of sweet and tart and both in moderation, enjoying higher levels of tart than sweet.   That being said and looking back through the fog of seven months, I would say it was medium-low on the tart scale.  Of all the mango varieties I tasted, it was the one tree I bought when I still lived at my other house with no space for another tree for that property, planning to wedge it in somewhere.  Luckly, I did not put it in the ground and I have planted it in a spot of honor at my new house.
Brandon

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

Angie is very sweet but also has a little "Indian mango" flavor to it.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »
HAHAHAHA that probably puts it into wife's realm of like. Is it creamy? or completely fiberless?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 04:04:30 PM »
HAHAHAHA that probably puts it into wife's realm of like. Is it creamy? or completely fiberless?

Yes, its fiber free and creamy.  Now that Tony mentions it, I mivht agree that it has some characteristics of an Indian mango (I am not comparing it to say mallika although that wouldn't be a bad thing) which maybe that is a factor why I feel it will or at should wind up on the top of many taste tests.
- Rob

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
You have an  invitation to stop by during mango season to do taste testing.
Harry-
Do you think the mango season will be earlier than usual this year?
Richard

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:55 PM »
Harry you haved a big yard.I thought I had the origin of the Kai sorted out but I'm not so sure because it is not used in thailand like wan or mayon chid.It could be a corruption of the word for chicken but that doesn't make sense.It probably is a variety in the wan group as they have a trinomial naming system.
The red on the fruit won't last long.I have seen mayom chids here the same size with so many fruit the branches are busting.Okrung is a classic mango and one of my favorites by the way.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
I took a bunch of pictures today.  I'm going to post them here, but I am running our of steam for the night......so to be continued tomorrow.  In the meantime: 

A few young Graham mangoes in juvenile stage against the back drop of a gorgeous blue Florida sky.  Good night.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »
Harry you haved a big yard.I thought I had the origin of the Kai sorted out but I'm not so sure because it is not used in thailand like wan or mayon chid.It could be a corruption of the word for chicken but that doesn't make sense.It probably is a variety in the wan group as they have a trinomial naming system.
The red on the fruit won't last long.I have seen mayom chids here the same size with so many fruit the branches are busting.Okrung is a classic mango and one of my favorites by the way.
Mike, I think Kai means "sea" in Hawaiian (It's my nephew's name as well, that's why I was initially interested in getting the Kai maprang). I think it may just be a Hawaiian name that they picked that doesn't have a Thai connection?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Sheehan it is all coming back to me now and you said all that before.It makes sense all right.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Sheehan it is all coming back to me now and you said all that before.It makes sense all right.

Hopefully that fruit makes it to maturity and then Harry will be able to have a tasting and 10 of us will split the egg sized fruit and will be of no help in determining its pedigree because it is unlikely that any of us will have any sort of maprang cultivar experience to refer to. I will make sure Harry documents this event well for the forum. I may even whip out my handy refractometer.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
Pickering.......blooming reliably, setting fruit reliably and keeping small in  growth habit

Hak Ip Lychee.....actually one of three I have planted out.  It was the last planted out, however, since my original planting was knocked over by Hurricane Wilma, it is now probably my largest Hak Ip.

First noticed fruit set in November, Caimitos are sizing up.....but painfully slowly.

Brewster Lychee.  Three foot something maprang in the forefront (for scale).  Malay Apple to the right. Jakfruit to the left.

Seedling jakfruit fruit set.  Not much else going on on the jakfruit front....only an occasional fruit here and there. 

Malay Apple.  The tree has bloomed for the first time this past year. However, the bloom has always been light and sporadic with a fruit cluster here and there but no wholesale bloom with the ground covered in magenta flower parts...as I have seen elsewhere.

Mammee apple slowly but surely gaining size.  Should be about softball size when mature......sometime early summer.

More coming.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk