Author Topic: growth from rootstock  (Read 1852 times)

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
growth from rootstock
« on: May 25, 2020, 12:37:02 PM »
Hi there:

Long story short, I sawed off two potted citrus near the base of the trunk thinking they were dead - definitely below the graft point.  I continued watering the pots for the co-potted freesias.  Now, the rootstocks have sprouted new growth.. one looks surprisingly healthy while the other seems to be infested with aphids (??).

What is the best course of action?  Throw them out, experiment with bonsai, graft experiment, let them grow and see what kind of fruit they eventually bear just for shits-n-giggles?  Purchased from Home Despot in 2015 or 2016, small containers (maybe 2 or 3 gallon?).  They were inexpesive.

Thank you for your time.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: growth from rootstock
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 12:43:57 PM »
Clear up the aphid situation and graft different varities to all healthy shoots. You can build a cocktail tree and have fun grafting too. Or.........remove all but the best graft stock and cleft your choice/favorite citrus on it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 01:30:54 PM »
To  remove the aphids just spray them with water

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 02:07:58 PM »
Grafting if it, okay!  I've not done that before, I will go and research proper methods.  Having multiple varieties on one trunk sounds like fun.

Are the off-shoots "big enough" to graft to, or should I wait a little longer?  The one with aphids only has two from the same bump on the trunk, while the clean one has 7 all over. 

Is there any concern for disease in the rootstock plant, given that the grafted portions went dead in both plants?  I wasn't sure if these are aphids, but doing a search, aphids can be a multitude of colors, including brown.

So many questions, sorry.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »
Found a simple resource and source for grafting wood, too, considering I'm in so cal :)
https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/budwood.html
This is going to be fun, even if chance for success is slim!

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »
Should I be grafting or budding?

I just read this thread and now realized they are two different techniques...

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »
For a novice I recommend budding. Its a little easier imho, and its the right time of the year. If you are in need of a good budding tutorial the fruitmentor vids are as good as they come. Let us know how it goes.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:12:28 PM »
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/citrus/budding/budding.htm.   Here is the best tutorial I know of.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:14:00 PM by Bomand »

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
Thanks @Bomand for the link and recommendations.  I had planned on putting them into different pots next week with new soil mix, let them acclimate through fall or next spring, then attach new buds/scions to each of the little stalks coming up from the main cut trunk.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 07:29:37 PM »
Good thoughts. Remember that a healthy graft and scion start with healthy rootstock.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:18:09 PM »
I have no idea wheher this rootstock is healthy, so this is becoming more of an experiment and learning exercise.  I am "OP", see first post of this thread for what I'm doing.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 10:30:30 PM »
For those who do not know what "OP" stands for = original poster

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 07:29:19 AM »
And Storm.....lots of citrus facts and practices were found by experimentation...thats the way we learn. Plant, try different methods, different fertilizers, try the ideas of others.  You will sort out what works for you & thats what counts.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 05:34:47 PM »
Hi there, original poster with a 2 month post-transplant follow up, hoping for a little advice :)

Late may I cleaned the old soil, and fit the two citrus stumps into smaller containers with a 5-1-1 potting mix, kept in area with mild morning sun and afternoon shade.  One appears to have survived well (blue rim grow bag), while the one in the white rimmed grow bag seems to be experiencing a delayed shock?  It was fine through June, then early July the bottom leaves curled.  Top ones are wilting a bit, I let the soil dry a little the last couple days, concerned with possible overwatering since there are no bugs and temps have been mild here in coastal southern california.

My original plan was to wait until next spring, but, I guess I'm just anxious to start.  Should I wait to bud/graft until next spring now that August is nearly here?  Would I be attaching to the stump of a trunk or to the green growths?

Thank you!

Blue Rim:

White Rim: