Author Topic: What do Lychees hate?  (Read 2976 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
What do Lychees hate?
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:54:16 PM »
Second time this has happened.  I've had another container lychee tree suddenly drop most of it's leaves.  What might it be?  It seemed happy before, but I went out of town and came back to find most of the leaves brown.  It rained quite a bit while we were gone and the tree had been in almost full sun, but so had another lychee that still looks great.  Pot was painted white.

I haven't fertilized them so it's not from over-fertilizing.  Too much water?  Too much sun?  What do Lychees hate?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Re: What do Lychees hate?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:09:01 PM »
It seems like they hate (at least in my yard) life in general...and also fruiting.

In all seriousness though (although I'm pretty serious about that ^) it could be over watering.
What potting soil did you use?

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:59:13 PM »
I increased my auto watering system and noticed my flushing container emperors dropped more leaves than usual.

of note, it was the older leaves that dropped. newer leaves and the flush continue to look heathy.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »
It seems like they hate (at least in my yard) life in general...and also fruiting.

In all seriousness though (although I'm pretty serious about that ^) it could be over watering.
What potting soil did you use?

Miracle grow brand

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »
I am having the same issue.  Two flushes this year and 95% of the leaves dropped.  What's remain are sick looking leaves. 

andrewq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
can you post pictures?

if most of the leaves are gone, it may need to be more shaded until it recovers. does it have wind protection ?

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »
inorganic fertilizer besides oscomete especially in planting mix.....no water when it's above 90 (at least once even twice a day), wind, high ph, sensitive to any type of disease sprays even when heavily deluted.....could be as simple as somebody in you neighborhood spraying round up on a windy day would do it in

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 01:46:14 AM »
It's in shade now surrounded by other trees.  I did a deep flush about 2 weeks ago and being watering 2x daily with my irrigation mini sprayer. 

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:00:17 AM »

This is my lychee that dropped most of it's leaves.  I had another lychee that was a little more shaded, but in the same area and it looks like a million bucks.

Maybe it had a dry period and being in a little more sun than the other lychee, started to die back?  Not sure.  The roots look good though.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
Lychee trees really like some level of humidity. If the air is dry (which it is in some climates) watering becomes all the more important. It's important to keep the soil moist, and make sure it does not dry out too much any time, but it's also important to make sure the soil does not become waterlogged, because the roots don't like to sit in standing water. So consistent watering is very important.

Also, if a lychee is growing in a container, consistent watering is even more important. Soil in a container is more prone to drying out, and also the root system is more limited by the smaller area, which makes it more difficult for the roots to supply enough water when soil moisture levels are very low.

Lychee can tolerate full sun in hot climates but it takes more water and the soil must be moist. The new little leaves growing on the plant are vulnerable to wind, and if not protected from the wind the leaf shape can become deformed as it grows.

Longan is more drought and cold tolerant than lychee.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
It's in shade now surrounded by other trees.  I did a deep flush about 2 weeks ago and being watering 2x daily with my irrigation mini sprayer. 

Salt accumulation related to city water & or fertilizer.

City water contains chlorine & chloramine.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »
would it be helpful if I apply some gypsum?

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
Gypsum helps counteract Sodium Chloride poisoning;  I don't know that it counteracts general excess of mineral salts--- it more likely will add to the problem, as Calcium Sulfate is itself also a mineral salt.

Besides the two city-water poisons already mentioned, there is Fluoride.  I have no information about its effects on Lychees, but Fluoride is known to poison some ornamental foliage plants in the Marantaceae botanical family.  I have had a lot of those turned into eye sores.

Did your soil mix contain urea?
Har

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
i dont know if my soil contained urea.  I am using HP Pro Mix with Mycorrhizae.

andrewq

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
@Sonny the pic looks like it got too dry. even brief period of dryness can make a lychee drop all its leaves.

keep it protected from wind, watered, and shaded

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk