Author Topic: Help me to Id  (Read 2163 times)

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
Help me to Id
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:09:14 PM »
Some  eight year back a friend of mine visiting the brazilian amazon brought me two seeds. I planted them and today they are two trees 10 meters tall.  A week back I saw a fruit on one of them. Would appreciate if some member could identify. Adding image to this posting

mangaba

• View Profile
Re: Help me to Id
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:12:01 PM »
Some  eight year back a friend of mine visiting the brazilian amazon brought me two seeds. I planted them and today they are two trees 10 meters tall.  A week back I saw a fruit on one of them. Would appreciate if some member could identify. Adding image to this posting

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
It was hard to say. Did you try the fruit ? Please send more pictures  Also I heard about mangaba but never tried it. Is it good?
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:43:52 AM »
Aloha
Is it a Couepia sp?  C bracteosa? C rufa? C subcordata, or Licania sp, or Parinari sp.
Please update us on the flavor of this gem.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Uxi' (say "oo-SHEE")  Endopleura uchi.

You are lucky that it is fruiting so soon!
Har

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
The tree is not of Mangaba (Hancornia speciosa) Mangabas are round and size of a marble. I have mangaba tree in my garden. It is not  Oiti coro´(Couepia rufa) as I have these also. As the fruit is hard to touch and I think it is green, will wait a few days to see if the fruit  drops dpwn. Thanks for the responses.

mangaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
Guanabanus: I think it is not Endopleura uchi because the leaves are a lot different as well as the  form of fruit.
Micah: Your guess of Couepia bracteosa hit the jackpot !!!. Today I received an email from Helton José confirming the id.
 Helton recommended me to wait untill it ripens and falls to taste it.   Excited to compare the taste of this with that of Couepia rufa
I have and is fruiting these days.  Thanks to all who tried to help me.

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
Aloha Mangaba
 wonder ful!,  glad to play the ID game, please update us on the flavor when you try it. How does the C rufa taste?
if you have extra seed of any of the Couepia sp for sale please pm me!
I've been drooling over the fruit pictures of this species for a few years. Very hard to find seeds.
Just might have to go to Brazil one day to taste all these rare food plants.

Here is our Mangaba plant...growing very easily here...is it really a Mangaba? I hope so..

Guanabanus: I think it is not Endopleura uchi because the leaves are a lot different as well as the  form of fruit.
Micah: Your guess of Couepia bracteosa hit the jackpot !!!. Today I received an email from Helton José confirming the id.
 Helton recommended me to wait untill it ripens and falls to taste it.   Excited to compare the taste of this with that of Couepia rufa

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Grandmaster Mangaba!

It would be nice to see a low of leaves, if they are hairy. My Pajura has hairy and very thick leaves.
Either way congratulations, here in the southeast is difficult in Brazil is to grow this tree.
After we talked by email! Their knowledge is very useful for me, I learn a lot!

Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk