Author Topic: Anyone recognize this mango?  (Read 4763 times)

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Anyone recognize this mango?
« on: December 18, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
So I bought a grafted tree from puerto rico ( ebay) this summer based on The claim that it would produce the mangos pictured. Claimed to be an unknown variety by the seller who was selling several other grafted and we'll know premium varieties. Further questioning revealed that the man in The picture known only as "Paco" grafted a few trees from the tree In His back yard. The fruit is ginormous and was said to have little to no fiber sweet/tangy and we'll balanced. Obviously the fruit is real as for the rest only time will tell. Any ides on what it could be as far as a known cultivator?

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognize this mango?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »
Bigger picture.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
No one wants to chime in?

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
It looks like a keitt to me but I'm no expert.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
I was thinking that but, they guy had keitts and springfels for sell and said it was something he had never seen before. I put it in the ground and still have my fingers crossed.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 04:32:19 PM »
I was thinking that but, they guy had keitts and springfels for sell and said it was something he had never seen before. I put it in the ground and still have my fingers crossed.

The springfels are definitely big like the mangoes in picture, but not enough detail in the picture to tell much else.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 05:06:04 PM »
It turns out that I am not the only forum member that bought one of only two available under the same hopes that it might be something new to the U.S and be worthy of sharing. If in deed it is and only time will tell. I will consult the other member about possibly naming it "Paco", after the mystery man who propagated it. That's we call it at my house any way.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 07:55:04 PM »
I purchased this tree as well a few days ago. I won't receive it until may june 1st which is when I will be moved to puerto rico. Have yours fruited yet? I was looking forward to the mangoes being that big. If they are I will probably get a few more trees to put on my property.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
I also ordered one of those trees from eBay seller "Rustikos" last summer. The tree flushed once, went dormant for the winter and it's still dormant  ??? - it looks healthy, but extremely slow grower for me.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
I also got one.  There was a tag on mine when it arrived and was labeled "La Nina".  I bought it as a bare root plant last year and the part circled in red was the only branch it came with.

It flushed 3 or 4 times last summer and put on more growth than other mango that I owned.  No flushes during the wintertime at all but it had an enormous amount of flowers.  The flowers resulted in about 30 fruits being formed which I let get to about 50 cent piece size before I cut-off the pannicles and seem to be growing very, very fast.  The tree became VERY wide during that time as the weight of the flowers and the subsequent mangos bent the branches towards the ground.  The tree flushed again about 2 weeks ago and seems to have gotten the message to put its energy into growth rather than fruiting now.

Probably the most anthracnose hardy mango I have growing as NONE of the leaves have any sign of damage from that.  I do have a few leaves with insect damage but its minor.

The flushes have been light green in color as compared to all my other mangos which flush with a red/brown color in the leaves until the harden off.

Close inspection now is showing the tree is getting ready to flush again - i'm thinking maybe in another 2 or 3 weeks.

Lastly, the tree took the cold very well for me on the 32 degree nights but i did move the pot up under the fronch porch during those nights.  On the nights it went below 30 I moved the pot indoors.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2018, 09:36:34 PM »
I also got one.  There was a tag on mine when it arrived and was labeled "La Nina".  I bought it as a bare root plant last year and the part circled in red was the only branch it came with.

It flushed 3 or 4 times last summer and put on more growth than other mango that I owned.  No flushes during the wintertime at all but it had an enormous amount of flowers.  The flowers resulted in about 30 fruits being formed which I let get to about 50 cent piece size before I cut-off the pannicles and seem to be growing very, very fast.  The tree became VERY wide during that time as the weight of the flowers and the subsequent mangos bent the branches towards the ground.  The tree flushed again about 2 weeks ago and seems to have gotten the message to put its energy into growth rather than fruiting now.

Probably the most anthracnose hardy mango I have growing as NONE of the leaves have any sign of damage from that.  I do have a few leaves with insect damage but its minor.

The flushes have been light green in color as compared to all my other mangos which flush with a red/brown color in the leaves until the harden off.

Close inspection now is showing the tree is getting ready to flush again - i'm thinking maybe in another 2 or 3 weeks.

Lastly, the tree took the cold very well for me on the 32 degree nights but i did move the pot up under the fronch porch during those nights.  On the nights it went below 30 I moved the pot indoors.

Any additional info on the "La Nina Mango" ?  tree size, Taste bearing habits, even repining issues, ect...  Is it worth the yard space for a whole tree with so many new top tear mangos out now or just multi graft to preserve it? I was thinking of pulling mine out and putting in a Hasya sapodilla for some variety in my "yarden".

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 12:10:17 AM »
Does anyone know what Puerto Rico uses for Mango rootstock?  Or what is used for rootstock on this mango?.
I too purchased this mango and will be receiving it in June.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 12:28:09 PM »
Lionking,

I asked when I bought it and he said just locally sourced mango seeds - nothing special one way or another.

Mangomongo - sorry, no other info on the growth habit, etc.  I was impressed by the amount of flowers the tree had considering it was probably only a 3 year old tree and potted = not in ground.  When i cut the fruit off earlier in the year i did squish a few of the baby fruits and the smell was sweet and fruity - very fragrant.   What that means for the fruit in the long run i have no idea, nor do i know what the tree will look like when it grow up but its seems like it will be a very wide tree - and overall with the weight of those mango's its going to need strong branching as well.

I don't have enuf info to say to pull it yet or keep it - but i'm keeping mine and i'm very happy with what i see so far - especially that the tree has no anthracnose issues while living and growing in Central Florida with our crazy summer humidity.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 05:02:12 PM »
Lionking,

I asked when I bought it and he said just locally sourced mango seeds - nothing special one way or another.

Mangomongo - sorry, no other info on the growth habit, etc.  I was impressed by the amount of flowers the tree had considering it was probably only a 3 year old tree and potted = not in ground.  When i cut the fruit off earlier in the year i did squish a few of the baby fruits and the smell was sweet and fruity - very fragrant.   What that means for the fruit in the long run i have no idea, nor do i know what the tree will look like when it grow up but its seems like it will be a very wide tree - and overall with the weight of those mango's its going to need strong branching as well.

I don't have enuf info to say to pull it yet or keep it - but i'm keeping mine and i'm very happy with what i see so far - especially that the tree has no anthracnose issues while living and growing in Central Florida with our crazy summer humidity.

Great,  thanks so much for the info. 
When I saw the picture of the mango on eBay.  I immediately purchased it. After I came back to my senses,  that’s when I stared to realize that I shouldn’t have jumped the gun.  That I should have looked more into this variety before buying.  More into the rootstock really. 
Puerto Rico is so close to Florida that my first thought was that it was grafted on turpentine, and turpentine does not do well here in California.
So glad to here that it’s a Native Rootstock and not turpentine.
I hope that my tree will do as good as yours.
Thanks again and please keep us updated.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 08:08:16 PM »
Looks like a number of people have purchased 1 of 2.

How long has this cultivar been on the market?

Looking but not biting yet.  I may prefer to get a couple of scions from someone trimming a plant.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Orkine - I have 9 branches forming on the tree now so there should be enough material if it flushes as much this summer as last summer to harvest you a scion or two.  I've never cut-off a scion or prepared it for shipping so i'll need some help from the forum but i'll figure it out.  If you make a run to Orlando at the end of July or August shoot me a PM and maybe you can come clip the scions yourself and show me what to look for.  I can use a grafting lesson or two.

Lionking

• Covina, Ca. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 12:51:30 AM »
Lionking,

Great,  thanks so much for the info. 
When I saw the picture of the mango on eBay.  I immediately purchased it. After I came back to my senses,  that’s when I stared to realize that I shouldn’t have jumped the gun.  That I should have looked more into this variety before buying.  More into the rootstock really. 
Puerto Rico is so close to Florida that my first thought was that it was grafted on turpentine, and turpentine does not do well here in California.
So glad to here that it’s a Native Rootstock and not turpentine.
I hope that my tree will do as good as yours.
Thanks again and please keep us updated.

Baccarat

So I received a msg from Rustikos,  he informed me that the rootstock is Palmer Mango .
Just wanted to share info.

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:57 AM »
I will update you guys as mine starts to grow/fruit. should be getting it next week.

Oraculo

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 12:00:35 AM »
Anyone recognize the mango tree in my neighbor's yard? I want to plant one, but he doesn't know the variety, since it was there when he bought the house, so I thought that maybe the experts here could recognize it based on the unique shape of its canopy.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:06 AM »
Julie

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 06:27:39 AM »
I'll need to do a personal inspection to determine what type of mango we are dealing with here.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 08:29:05 AM »
Definitely Julie  :o

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 08:49:07 AM »
Not sure what this mango is but i will need to taste test first before i buy it....lol
Joe

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
Anyone recognize the mango tree in my neighbor's yard? I want to plant one, but he doesn't know the variety, since it was there when he bought the house, so I thought that maybe the experts here could recognize it based on the unique shape of its canopy.

I have seen these types of mangos all over PR they are anthracnose resistant but high maintenance. They taste great but can become bitter in time. You will probably have to get a second job to support it. I would go for a different variety as these can not only take over the yard but your home and life also. Be careful that your neighbor doesn't start enjoying the fruits.
Life is good