Author Topic: What is happening to my mangoes?  (Read 1577 times)

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
What is happening to my mangoes?
« on: January 05, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
I noticed that the new growth its not pushing leaves and it seems like somethin is eating them, or the leaves are not developing and just going dark. On top of that my other mango started to get brown on the leaves and a whole branch went black, so I cut it off before it reached the main trunk.
I also noticed a gummy stuff coming out of the joins of the trunk. What can I do to stop this? Please help!

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: What is happening to my mangoes?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 07:06:20 PM »
Looks like normal winter effect in the southwest.
Leaves turning brown on edges due to colder winter wetter and maybe overwatering with municipal city water.  Cut back on watering.
Flowers and/or new growth are being "burned" by cold night weather.
I've started spraying with sulfur fungicide to prevent powdery mildew on young leaves and flowers too.  I should have sprayed with copper fungicide now (Dec-Jan) to prevent anthracnose.
The tree probably has gumosis (fungal infection) and you can treat additionally with copper oxychloride.
Any dieback should be trimmed back to the nearest branching node.
Hope this helps.

What variety do you have?  Some varieties do worse than others in winter.  You tree health looks like my young potted Angie tree.  It should get better towards mid March when spring begins.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:15:25 PM by wslau »
Warren

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 01:31:21 PM »
Thanks for your response.
The tree with the healthier leaves its a Carrie, it is also the one with the close ups for new growth. The other one is a Coconut cream to whom I accidentally grafted a Lemon zest branch. The graft seems to be doing ok, but I am still wondering of I should just remove it or let it be. I am hesitant because its the only graft that has taken out of about 20 tries on other trees. What is your advise?
By the way, something just pop in my head. Could it be that my grafts didn't take because I wasn't putting it with the correct family tree? Does it matter if I tried to graft an Indian tree to one from another region? To me this is all very new and I am trying to learn. There is a lot of information here on the forum but it starts with something and then it moves in a different direction and eventually I lose track of were I was going.
I also have other mangoes. I have a Pina Colada that hasn't grown much in the last 2 years, but is still alive.  a Fruit punch that I almost lost, but cut to about 20" down and its holding on with new growth. A Kesar that I planted  a few months back and looks ok and, a Valencia Pride planted also a few months back and doing ok. I also have a Raposa and Southern Blush in a 15 gal pots that seem to be doing ok. and a Beverly that I still need to transplant but its ok so far. a bunch of VP seedlings and a few other that I planted from local fruit sales. My yards has only room for about 4 more trees in the ground so I am trying to learn and see what will be my better options. Any advise its greatly appreciate. :)

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 04:25:52 PM »
I agree with wslau, I would cut back on watering. I would also leave the lemon zest graft if it took. Something to be proud of. Grafting any mango to mango should not be a problem, although I had a tough time trying to graft Edward to Alphonso rootstock. Took me a lot of tries. Your small stubby growth could be from cold or could be some micro deficiency. Your scorched leaves may be from salt build up or from too much water. Do you have hard water? Best thing to do is probably wait and see if it starts growing in warmer weather. I don't think spraying with copper would hurt, but I would not go crazy trying a bunch of different things to try to remedy your situation. Sometimes you can over-love a plant to death. I've done it.

Tropicalnut

• Phoenix AZ, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
I do live in Phoenix AZ. so we do have hard water. I will cut down on the watering and thanks for the advise. :)