Author Topic: Simple Spiced Green Mangos  (Read 4896 times)

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
Simple Spiced Green Mangos
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:47:02 PM »

I love ripe mangos and usually eat them as a morning or afternoon snack when they are in season. Mangos recently just came back into season here in Grenada so I was able to pick up a bag of small green mangos. I was planning on leaving them to ripen but my girlfriend told me that green mangos taste great with a little salt and hot pepper. I cut the green mangos into wedges, and sprinkled both salt and cayenne pepper on the pulp. The salt helps to bring out the tart flavor while the cayenne adds a nice kick. Sour, spicy and a little sweet!

http://fruitfanatic.net/spiced-green-mangos/

edit: typo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:42:40 AM by FruitFanatic »
Peace Corps Volunteer living in Grenada.. check out my fruit blog ---> www.fruitfanatic.net

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Spiced Green Mangos
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 12:29:31 AM »
:) Welcome to the forum!!

I love eating the green mangoes this way.

P.S - Enjoyed reading your blog...:)

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:22:23 PM »
Thanks! This past year has really changed my whole perspective on fruit and food in general. Living in Grenada with fresh fruit everywhere and having a girlfriend with Indian roots will do that I guess.

And thanks about the blog. Having to update it every so often forces me to get out out of my house and explore. Only one more year left here in Grenada so I have to make the most of it.
Peace Corps Volunteer living in Grenada.. check out my fruit blog ---> www.fruitfanatic.net

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
I love green mangoes too, but I tend to eat them a little more un color than that. It's almost completely white, but has some yellow too. So a hard and crunchy one for me please  ;D Though mine isn't cayenne, but dried Thai birds eye chilies instead. The hotter the better  ;D

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 12:45:58 PM »
Does anyone else eat green mangoes with fish sauce, sugar and chili? Ummmm.... Sounds weird but its a taste sensation - promise!  ;D. Has to be good quality fish sauce though.
kimi

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
Does anyone else eat green mangoes with fish sauce, sugar and chili? Ummmm.... Sounds weird but its a taste sensation - promise!  ;D. Has to be good quality fish sauce though.
MEEEEEEEEEEE!  ;D I was gonna mention salt or fish sauce, but..................though being asian I like it for almost everything ;D Pungent, but superflavorful when use with other ingredients. Straight is just....................

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 12:38:44 AM »
its a treat alright.  ;D  Salt with fresh birds eye chilies mashed in is a great dip for rock hard fruits (nectarines, peaches, apples, pears, guavas, etc....) - wonder if other forum members will be game enough to try the fish sauce dip?   ;D ;D ;D
kimi

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 12:55:32 AM »
its a treat alright.  ;D  Salt with fresh birds eye chilies mashed in is a great dip for rock hard fruits (nectarines, peaches, apples, pears, guavas, etc....) - wonder if other forum members will be game enough to try the fish sauce dip?   ;D ;D ;D
I'm sure there should be some, since most members are of ethnic background with their own pungent food fares and since everyone likes all these exotic fruits, they should definitely give it a try if they haven't. Try a clove or two of raw garlic smash with the chilies and fish sauce...........yum mouth watering just thinking about it ;D

Kimi.......since you like fish sauce, have you try green papaya salad? I just love that dish....super stinking, but O so good in my tummy...though too spicy and it can cause some stomach discomfort too ;)

Oh and not only is smash chilies+fish sauce and garlic are only good to use as a dipping for hard crunchy fruits, they are good with any kind of grilled/bbq meats/seafood as well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:12:51 AM by thao »

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »
I'm sure there should be some, since most members are of ethnic background with their own pungent food fares and since everyone likes all these exotic fruits, they should definitely give it a try if they haven't. Try a or two of clove of raw garlic smash with the chilies and fish sauce...........yum mouth watering just thinking about it ;D

Kimi.......since you like fish sauce, have you try green papaya salad? I just love that dish....super stinking, but O so good in my tummy...though too spicy and it can cause some stomach discomfort too ;)

Oh and not only is smash chilies+fish and garlic are only good to use as a dipping for hard crunchy fruits, they are good with any kind of grilled/bbq meats/seafood as well.
[/quote]

You too??!?! lol  the chilies, fish sauce, and garlic combo is a must have with steamed beans for me... have never tried it with fruits though...

fish sauce, ginger and chilies for seafood is to die for!! lol

papaya salad is the best!!
kimi

FruitFanatic

• Sauteurs, Grenada
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
Yes my mangos were a little too ripe. Ambarellas also taste great prepared this way.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
thanks...i am looking for ways to make june plum palatable.  I will have to try it out
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration