Author Topic: Dropping in ground Luc’s Garcinia  (Read 3939 times)

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Dropping in ground Luc’s Garcinia
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:05:05 AM »
What is the minimum height order a lucs garcinia u would put into the ground?  I have a spot full sun.  My largest is maybe 15-18 inches?  Option I could consider is to put a cage

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Dropping in ground Luc’s Garcinia
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 11:15:11 AM »
Not for sure you want full sun.  Mine prefer semi shade, those getting too much sun burned in our mild climate.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:41:00 AM »
I have five 2 year olds and I have two 1 year old jumbo ones.
I put one in the ground partially under an oak. It will get more sun in the
Winter then the summer. If you have more then one I would experiment.
They grow so slow in a pot. I was told they drop their tap root down a long
ways before they start the lateral roots? They should be able to accomplish this
in the ground much quicker? You can always put 4 bamboo stakes and place frost cloth over
to take away the intense light of the day. I plan to plant 2 more of mine in the ground
this spring. Garcinia just don't grow in pots???
 I saw some 8+year old trees this summer and they were around 7' and in
direct sun and they were bright green and looked happy. The owner is still waiting for
his first flowers.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »
there is one spot that is more shaded over the course of the day/during the course of the year.  I have a lemon drop mangosteen that is happy but is happy not doing anything either. ha.  and they're supposed to fruit in semi/full shade too.  that area has a guava, soursop, and a grumichamma in the area so they would provide extra shade I suppose. 

I have this one crippled one from oscar that I could experiment. the nice straight one i just up-potted so probably can wait till it pushes out more growth and then make a decision. 

Just killed a cherapu by puttng it in too early so want to be 'careful' this time. 

thanks for feedback.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 03:02:42 PM »
there is one spot that is more shaded over the course of the day/during the course of the year.  I have a lemon drop mangosteen that is happy but is happy not doing anything either. ha.  and they're supposed to fruit in semi/full shade too.  that area has a guava, soursop, and a grumichamma in the area so they would provide extra shade I suppose. 

I have this one crippled one from oscar that I could experiment. the nice straight one i just up-potted so probably can wait till it pushes out more growth and then make a decision. 

Just killed a cherapu by puttng it in too early so want to be 'careful' this time. 

thanks for feedback.
I have several Luc's in full sun in SoFl for several years (now 4-5 ft tall), they like it and do very well, but it's critical to give them plenty of water (daily even better).
Cherapu does not like full (prefer significant shade at least until 5 ft tall) sun and needs protection from cooler (under 50) weather to thrive, also loves water.
I completely agree that garcinias in general were not meant to grow in pots (cherapu maybe can do pots for a while). I plant garcinias in the ground very early (under 8 tall?) BUT protection from full sun and wind, and a solid central stake until 36-48 inches tall is key for survival. When you transplant provide a very solid central stake for a couple of years while they develop strong root system to support plant's structure.

Federico
Homestead, FL

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 03:48:56 PM »
I've got mine in full sun & they are doing fine.  No supplemental water here (but I am right outside of Hilo).  I would start them out with shade (I have used both "shade barrels" & "shade hoops" to create shade, using old discarded shade cloth from greenhouses) and gradually ease them into sun.  I would take it slow for the transition (I have heard that Honolulu area can run about 10 deg warmer & I believe a little less humidity) and you probably should use some supplemental watering until they get settled in.

I have put out some plants that were pretty small.  For most, if you give them shade & control the weeds, it is not an issue.  I think the ones I have lost has been due to not watching the weeds well enough.

John

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
I've got mine in full sun & they are doing fine.  No supplemental water here (but I am right outside of Hilo).  I would start them out with shade (I have used both "shade barrels" & "shade hoops" to create shade, using old discarded shade cloth from greenhouses) and gradually ease them into sun.  I would take it slow for the transition (I have heard that Honolulu area can run about 10 deg warmer & I believe a little less humidity) and you probably should use some supplemental watering until they get settled in.

I have put out some plants that were pretty small.  For most, if you give them shade & control the weeds, it is not an issue.  I think the ones I have lost has been due to not watching the weeds well enough.

John

i have a barrel i can wrap with shade cloth and that should work. maybe i'll try out the cripple one first in the hoop and bring the nicer one out of the shaded area to a partially shaded area closer to where I want to plant it! 

apresser

• USA, Hawaii, Haleiwa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »
I've planted 3 of these up on the North Shore. One in full light with irrigation, one in full light with no irrigation and one in partial shade with no irrigation. The best one of course is full light with irrigation followed by partial shade with no irrigation and the slowest growing is full light with no irrigation (but it still looks healthy). Planted all three of them around 12 inches tall.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
I got fuyu, jumbo, sharpie, regular luc seedlings growing in pot full sun & out in the winter with a lowest 27 temps & 122f temp last yr in CA & they are not bothered by the extremes we have.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 09:20:02 PM »

i have a barrel i can wrap with shade cloth and that should work. maybe i'll try out the cripple one first in the hoop and bring the nicer one out of the shaded area to a partially shaded area closer to where I want to plant it!

I know a lot of people make the barrel out of some type of wire fence like hogwire and then cover it with shadecloth.  A lot of people just leave them on until the plant grows out the top.  I was making a lot of these so I just made a bunch out of the orange plastic fencing you can get a Home Depot (they stuff they had a few years ago worked much better than the current stuff).  I would staple it into a barrel shape with a heavy duty stapler & then staple the shadecloth to the fence material.  I would secure these with 2-4 bamboo stakes (depending upon the size of the barrel).  The bamboo stakes don't last too long in Hilo weather but long enough to harden off the seedlings.

I made hoops with galvanized wire used for bracing for the hogwire fencing.  You can cut it to size appropriate for the seedling & just bend it into a hoop shape.  I'd then tie shadecloth on the hoop to drape down over the seedling & cover it.  If it was a larger seedling, I might also might up a wire spreader(s) to hold the shadecloth off the seedling.  The hoops worked fine and had the benefit that you could lift some of the shadecloth up to harden off the seedling after it was out there a while.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 09:56:49 PM »
Anybody had fruit after 5 years??

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:04:33 AM »
I have a 4-5 year old tree that gets about 5 hours of full sun per day and it's 7 ' tall and has endured a recent heatwave
where it got up to 110 degrees for consecutive days and it came through with virtually no damage .I also know of a tree
from the same batch that had it's first fruit last year and it had flowered previously

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 05:10:53 AM »
I have a 4-5 year old tree that gets about 5 hours of full sun per day and it's 7 ' tall and has endured a recent heatwave
where it got up to 110 degrees for consecutive days and it came through with virtually no damage .I also know of a tree
from the same batch that had it's first fruit last year and it had flowered previously

How did the fruit taste? Was it good?

My tree is 25 cm and 3 years old...in full soil/sun now which is no problem.

Stevo

• Australia Far North Queensland Cairns 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 05:57:25 AM »

How did the fruit taste? Was it good?

My tree is 25 cm and 3 years old...in full soil/sun now which is no problem.

Fell off or was knocked off before it was ripe so hopefully we'll have better luck this year

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »
I planted 200 seeds in all conditions from full sun to full shade in June 2017.  There are over 100 identified today.  Just within the last month I put some on drip, more to follow.  None were ever watered until recently. They seem overly tolerant to all conditions from flooding to drought.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 08:11:35 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »

I know a lot of people make the barrel out of some type of wire fence like hogwire and then cover it with shadecloth.  A lot of people just leave them on until the plant grows out the top.  I was making a lot of these so I just made a bunch out of the orange plastic fencing you can get a Home Depot (they stuff they had a few years ago worked much better than the current stuff).  I would staple it into a barrel shape with a heavy duty stapler & then staple the shadecloth to the fence material.  I would secure these with 2-4 bamboo stakes (depending upon the size of the barrel).  The bamboo stakes don't last too long in Hilo weather but long enough to harden off the seedlings.

I made hoops with galvanized wire used for bracing for the hogwire fencing.  You can cut it to size appropriate for the seedling & just bend it into a hoop shape.  I'd then tie shadecloth on the hoop to drape down over the seedling & cover it.  If it was a larger seedling, I might also might up a wire spreader(s) to hold the shadecloth off the seedling.  The hoops worked fine and had the benefit that you could lift some of the shadecloth up to harden off the seedling after it was out there a while.

I've planted 3 of these up on the North Shore. One in full light with irrigation, one in full light with no irrigation and one in partial shade with no irrigation. The best one of course is full light with irrigation followed by partial shade with no irrigation and the slowest growing is full light with no irrigation (but it still looks healthy). Planted all three of them around 12 inches tall.

very encouraging to hear what's happening to the hawaii ones.  now gotta make more cages!

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 09:10:40 PM »
Mangosteen from seed in 3 to 4 years ( Mexico )  (Read 3515 times)

Anybody got fruit in 3-4 years?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 02:44:56 AM »

John

I think John is giving you good advice. Once they are one foot tall they can go full sun. But start it out for a couple weeks inside a cage to transition and acclamitize it to the new spot.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 02:51:12 AM »
Your cages sound good, except for the bamboo stakes. Try pounding that into lava rock! Also bamboo disintigrates rapidly in the rain. I use 3 rebar stakes. Easy to pound into any soil and lasts for many years. I place the rebar on the inside of the cage, so that the cage can be easily removed, as the rebar does not need to be attached to the cage. That way can easily weed inside the cage, and easily slide the cage back on.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 04:45:41 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 03:44:53 AM »

John

I think John is giving you good advice. Once they are one foot tall they can go full sun. But start it out for a couple weeks inside a cage to transition and acclamitize it to the new spot.

Since it looks like it's gonna rain for a few days I'm going to move them to a slightly shady spot and start the acclimatization process before putting them in a shade cloth wrapped cage.

Mahalo all for the advice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk