Author Topic: Does anybody use hot water radiant floor heating?????  (Read 675 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Does anybody use hot water radiant floor heating?????
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:04:24 PM »
Hi All,
I have a friend who is building a greenhouse next to his new pole barn, which will have hot water radiant floor heating.  For the greenhouse, the contractor said he could lay the pex tubing for radiant floor heat without pouring a concrete pad.  He would cover it with foamboard then bark.
Has anyone done this type of heating in their greenhouse??? Either geothermal or otherwise...
Thoughts???
Ideas???

Thanks!

Carolyn

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody use hot water radiant floor heating?????
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 10:30:51 PM »
I would think the foam should go under the pex not above it. 
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »
I am building radiant floor heating for my greenhouse but instead of water passing through pipes il use a burried chimney directly ,made from stainless steel and instead of plastic foam under the chimney,il use fireproof Ytong.

Something like this but with burried chimney and the fire hole will be actually outside the greenhouse and fed automatically with wood chips.
Its similar to the roman hypocaust sistem.
https://youtu.be/zul_Hdt667Y
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:01:59 PM by SeaWalnut »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 04:17:26 PM »
I thought about this.  Sounds like a good idea.  I sort of wish I had done hydronic heating instead of air.  PEX is really easy to use. 

The perimeter of my greenhouse is insulated 2-3ft down, so the soil stays reasonably warm in the winter.  My in-ground trees are growing so fast I'm not sure they need any additional encouragement, so I will probably hold off until I find something that struggles.